Do IELTS or don't do IELTS

Addison05

Evening All

I am not sure what to do!

Here it is, we submitted an EOI on July 1st for the 489 visa because of the points dropping to 60 meant getting 7's in IELTS was enough. I have also submitted my application for WA SS and they have recently made contact with a couple of queries (now answered). I have been told that once you have SS then the invitation will be soon after. (this was by a friend in Perth)

I have an IELTS test booked a week today and don't now if it worth sitting it. I know it sounds a strange question as it cost £125.00.

Thanks in advance

:err:

From what I understand, visas will be being awarded based on the number of points you have, with the people with the most points being offered visas first. There is an occupation ceiling for each occupation, and once that is reached, no more visas will be offered to people in those trades, irrespective of whether or not they have state sponsorship, and whether or not the state still needs people from that trade. It is no longer the case that if you have the correct number of points, and pass all the internal checks, plus police checks and medicals, that you will be offered a visa. It is also the case that if someone has the same number of points as you, and they applied earlier, and there is only one visa left available for your trade, they will be offered it, as they applied earlier.

ILETS is therefore worth doing for the following reason: If you get an 8 in every section of the ILETS, you get 20 points, if you get a 7 in everything you get 10 points and everything else gets you 0 points. Therefore, to get you as high up the list of people wanting visas as possible, you need the maximum number of points possible. Getting 8s across the board in ILETS may very well make the difference between you getting a visa and not getting a visa.

The final reason for doing the ILETS is fiscal. You had to pay at the time you booked. You will not get your money back. Why waste it?

You need to do whichever exam is specified by the organisation that will be doing your skills assessment. If you do the wrong one, your skills assessment will be rejected and you will have to go back and do the correct one.

From what I understand, visas will be being awarded based on the number of points you have, with the people with the most points being offered visas first.

The State sponsored visas are not ranked, so it doesn't matter if one has 60 points or 70 points.

We were in same situation had already booked 2nd Ielts b4 the changes. We lodged with 60 points but hubby did the test anyway he got all 9s and an 8 on the writing in test 2 so we have now updated the EOI to show 70 points... Hubby said with the pressure off the test seemed easier!! You have nothing to lose you may aswell sit the test.. I got to say have 70 points feels alot better than having 60 in this new system even with SS and an automatic entry...

Archived