First 5 weeks in Sydney...

MsJulz

Hi there

I have been doing more research and would love to stay where you are, if there are any rentals you hear of could you PM me , hubby starting work on Monday . How is your things arrived safe and well?

Karin

Hey, yes all arrived safe and sound, couple of small breakages but to be expected I suppose. Great to have our own stuff again.

How many bedrooms and whats your budget?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi MsJulz, what a great thread, thanks. We are in Ayrshire, husband just finished 18 month contract at the Gyle in Edinburgh and we are hoping to get out to Oz in the near future. Brother and Sis in law moved form Edinburgh 5 years ago and haven't looked back. We are thinking of Collaroy, Cromer and few other Northern beaches areas, great to hear that you have got there and settled in so quickly, sounds fabulous. We have a 7 and 2 year old. Helps dispel some of the should we/shouldn't we that goes continually round my head when you hear such success stories. Well done.

Hi MsJulz, what a great thread, thanks. We are in Ayrshire, husband just finished 18 month contract at the Gyle in Edinburgh and we are hoping to get out to Oz in the near future. Brother and Sis in law moved form Edinburgh 5 years ago and haven't looked back. We are thinking of Collaroy, Cromer and few other Northern beaches areas, great to hear that you have got there and settled in so quickly, sounds fabulous. We have a 7 and 2 year old. Helps dispel some of the should we/shouldn't we that goes continually round my head when you hear such success stories. Well done.

Hi mrsgh, thanks, yeh its all gone fairly smoothly and loving living here, it really is beautiful. OH and I both worked at the Gyle in Edinburgh. What was your husband doing? There are some great FB pages that you can look at too for the Northern Beaches, they are really helpful. E.g. Northern Beaches Kids Guide, Northern Beaches Mums and Whats on Northern Beaches. Let me know your progress and if there is anythibng I can help with. Maybe we can catch up once your are here!

http://www.bayswatercarrental.com.au

Bayswater is probably the best place to rent cars in Sydney (and Perth?) because they have late model cars at half the price of most of the others. I see they have a free shuttle from Sydney airport to their location in William Street. The only thing I dislike about them is their rather sexist logo 'No Birds!'

I lived in Narrabeen, just up the road (and beach) from Collaroy back in the 80's and I retain a soft spot for that area. As soon as I got through Dee Why and past Long Reef, I felt like I was going on holiday, especially on a Friday arvo.

The only drawback is the distance from the city but I guess if you build your life around the area, you don't need to come down to the city. In a perfect world, I'd have my home here in Surry Hills and another one for weekends in Narrabeen, or Avalon.

Neutral Bay is another place I have a soft spot for as I lived there and in Cammeray 'back in the day.' Much closer to the city and not too bad getting to the Northern Beaches.

I've lived too long in the inner city to want to live anywhere else now though. It's the convenience of having almost everything within walking distance that I like. I've got a car but this is one area where I could live without it. There's not many parts of Sydney where you can get by without one - or more likely two!

what a small world msjulz! hubby was working for RBS through Fujitsu, he's an IT consultant. Definitely would love to catch up when (positive thinking!) we get there! fb sites look great I will check them out and thanks for the very kind offer of advice, it is all quite daunting esp with little ones to think of. We are just waiting to get DH's skills assessment done and then put ourselves on the list, not sure whether to go for NSW state sponsored 190 or go it alone with a 189. Unfortunately because DH's brother is Sydney they can't offer us sponsorship. Hope you continue having a great time, take care :)

Guest StuartFreer

We're Lso moving to Sydney with a 3 year old and 20 month old. My job is down nr Kingsford so we plan to live in the Coogee area.

let me know how things are going as well be out on the 6th January :-)

what a small world msjulz! hubby was working for RBS through Fujitsu, he's an IT consultant. Definitely would love to catch up when (positive thinking!) we get there! fb sites look great I will check them out and thanks for the very kind offer of advice, it is all quite daunting esp with little ones to think of. We are just waiting to get DH's skills assessment done and then put ourselves on the list, not sure whether to go for NSW state sponsored 190 or go it alone with a 189. Unfortunately because DH's brother is Sydney they can't offer us sponsorship. Hope you continue having a great time, take care :)

Great news. We got NSW state sponsorship, glad we did as sponsorship came through in literally 3 days then it meant that our visa (176 as it was then) was fast tracked and came through within 3 months. Know it has all changed recently but think the State Sponsorship visas still takes less time than the general skilled visa.

Good luck with it all.

Just wondering who you organised your short term furnished let in North Curl Curl through as we have had a look at stayz and it all seems super expensive

Hi, we used beachhousesydney.com, worked out about $850 per week owner 5 weeks.

Julie

Guest Gogs and Cath

Mrsgh - what a small world indeed. I currently work for RBS in Edinburgh - based at Gogarburn. My OH is a vehicle technician/mechanic and we're heading to Sydney in October.

Archived