Mining jobs

dodgy

Holy Moley that is a lot of jobs going to 'non Australians' ... Why wont the Aussies work there, what do they know that others dont?lol

Taken from the above link - ''Up to 1715 foreign workers will soon be employed on Gina Rinehart's giant Pilbara project with a mega-infrastructure schedule that puts Sydney to shame.''

Cal x

Hard work ?

It's strange, my husband and I are both Aussies and are prepared to move OS for work as we get to live together as a family unit, but we are not prepared to move to WA and have him FIFO. FIFO just wouldn't work for us, especially not long term and the money isn't enough to compensate for all the sacrifices we would have to make as a family. I suspect a lot of Australians feel the same way.

you would be amazed at the amount of ozzies that DONT want to do fifo ....these jobs being advertised are on a 4:1 roster .....my o/h does a 2:1 and we just about cope with that ....we have no dependent children but if we did then it would not be suitable for us ....the money is a HUGE incentive but it doesnt make up for the sacrifices you have to make ...it works for us at the moment but it wont be forever .....in my opinion the ozzies like to complain about overseas workers being brought in .....dont blame them as we were the same when foreign workers were being brought into the uk ....but the difference is THEY dont want to do it ...

mrs keily

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SeekMiningJob

Time for me to pack my bags and get out of UK. Does anyone knows when the recruitment for this site will start?

you would be amazed at the amount of ozzies that DONT want to do fifo ....these jobs being advertised are on a 4:1 roster .....my o/h does a 2:1 and we just about cope with that ....we have no dependent children but if we did then it would not be suitable for us ....the money is a HUGE incentive but it doesnt make up for the sacrifices you have to make ...it works for us at the moment but it wont be forever .....in my opinion the ozzies like to complain about overseas workers being brought in .....dont blame them as we were the same when foreign workers were being brought into the uk ....but the difference is THEY dont want to do it ...

mrs keily

Mrs Keily, May I ask, do they have internet connection in their rooms that they stay in, if my OH would be doing FIFO the least I expect from him is a skype call :)

Mrs Keily, May I ask, do they have internet connection in their rooms that they stay in, if my OH would be doing FIFO the least I expect from him is a skype call :)

i think it depends on the camp but i would imagine most decent camps would have internet, maybe you'd have to get one of those dongle thingies if you wanted it in your room

I hate the way these things are reported - the headline speaks for itself

The EMA for Hancock for this development is for 1715 non-Australian workers. The development will require a further 7000 or so other workers (presumably Australian or Australian permanent residents at least). And yet every news article about Roy Hill bangs on as if the whole thing was being done with shipped in cheap labour. It's a load of bullsh!t.

Normally I find the Australian government incredibly weak-willed in the face of union and media pressure, but at least on the EMAs they are standing firm (albeit with an extra layer of unnecessary bureaucracy shoved in there as a sop to the petty nationalists). They (the EMAs) are a very sensible answer to the problem the resources sector has of being able to actually deliver the Capex spend on which the next 20-30 years of Aussie national wealth will depend

I hate the way these things are reported - the headline speaks for itself

The EMA for Hancock for this development is for 1715 non-Australian workers. The development will require a further 7000 or so other workers (presumably Australian or Australian permanent residents at least). And yet every news article about Roy Hill bangs on as if the whole thing was being done with shipped in cheap labour. It's a load of bullsh!t.

Normally I find the Australian government incredibly weak-willed in the face of union and media pressure, but at least on the EMAs they are standing firm (albeit with an extra layer of unnecessary bureaucracy shoved in there as a sop to the petty nationalists). They (the EMAs) are a very sensible answer to the problem the resources sector has of being able to actually deliver the Capex spend on which the next 20-30 years of Aussie national wealth will depend

I remember seeing quite a few negative comments on here about it and i kept quiet because i knew this was our main way into australia. I'm completely for australians getting jobs first, thats obviously the way it should be but it seems that they just dont have enough workers to keep the projects going at the moment so they need overseas workers. Also, theres a lot of australians that dont want to leave their homes and go work in mines like that (not judging them!) I get the impression some of them just like to moan about foreign workers without actually wanting the jobs. I'll probably get jumped on for that one!

Some of the occupations are semi skilled but as far as I know they have to start up training schemes for future australian workers and like you say - its at least 7000 jobs compared to the 1700.

Archived