Awaiting TFN

hardtochase

So I am awaiting my Tax File Number. I know that if I don't provide it to my employer after 28 days I will get taxed at the higher rate.

The application form states it takes 28 days to get here. 28 days is Tuesday, so given it's nearly the weekend I thought I would call today and find out what's going on as it hasn't arrived yet. I've just been told I have to wait the full 28 days, see if it arrives and if it doesn't then I can call back and only then will someone look into it.

Sounds completely ridiculous/inefficient to me. For all I know they might have one error in my address and I can't sort that out until 28 days have passed.

I don't know what I want from this post, apart from to air my frustration.

My tax file number took the full month to come through. This was after the first payroll cut off for my employer. I was told by my employer that they were able to give me a months grace for the TFN and form for the tax free threshold to be submitted. Therefore, I paid tax at the ordinary rate until the tax file and forms were sorted in the 2nd month.

My tax file number took the full month to come through. This was after the first payroll cut off for my employer. I was told by my employer that they were able to give me a months grace for the TFN and form for the tax free threshold to be submitted. Therefore, I paid tax at the ordinary rate until the tax file and forms were sorted in the 2nd month.

Yes 28 days grace = 28 days it takes for the TFN to come through. My beef is that you have to wait until the 28th day before you can chase it up and if there's a problem, you're out of the grace period.

Yes 28 days grace = 28 days it takes for the TFN to come through. My beef is that you have to wait until the 28th day before you can chase it up and if there's a problem, you're out of the grace period.

My TFN was requested around 27th April 2011. I started work on the 1st May 2011 and was paid on the 20th May (without any emergency taxation). I passed my TFN to the company around the end of May with no issues..

• 1 year later...

Archived