In limbo on 457 visa

sami

Due to various setbacks (retrenchment) we have now been in Australia for 5 years on a 457 visa with a 3rd sponsor. This month would be the month my husband would be allowed to submit our PR visa application, on completion of his 1 year with the new sponsor. Unfortunately he has now been told that due to his age (over 50) he will have to be working for the same company for 4 years until he can apply!!!!

I find it grossly unfair that the new rules apply to people who already live and work here, but don´t know if there is another way. Due to the nature of my husband´s work as a Senior Project manager in railway signalling projects, we don´t know that in another 3 years his job is still available or his company will still have projects, etc, etc...

Does anyone know of a good immigration lawyer or agent (in Perth preferably) who could help us navigate this maze, as I feel totally stressed out having to live in this limbo and uncertainty, as well extra expenses like health insurances, etc of a 457 visa holder.

Also my son who came with us and did a double degree at a Perth university, and is now employed full time in his field of study, has apparently got to wait for 2 years before he can apply, as he was on our 457 visa.

Any advice? Thanks.

Due to various setbacks (retrenchment) we have now been in Australia for 5 years on a 457 visa with a 3rd sponsor. This month would be the month my husband would be allowed to submit our PR visa application, on completion of his 1 year with the new sponsor. Unfortunately he has now been told that due to his age (over 50) he will have to be working for the same company for 4 years until he can apply!!!!

I find it grossly unfair that the new rules apply to people who already live and work here, but don´t know if there is another way. Due to the nature of my husband´s work as a Senior Project manager in railway signalling projects, we don´t know that in another 3 years his job is still available or his company will still have projects, etc, etc...

Does anyone know of a good immigration lawyer or agent (in Perth preferably) who could help us navigate this maze, as I feel totally stressed out having to live in this limbo and uncertainty, as well extra expenses like health insurances, etc of a 457 visa holder.

Also my son who came with us and did a double degree at a Perth university, and is now employed full time in his field of study, has apparently got to wait for 2 years before he can apply, as he was on our 457 visa.

Any advice? Thanks.

Your husband would always have had some hurdles in getting the permanent employer sponsored because of being over 50. He would still have had to get an age exemption and in fact the rules were quite vague as to what that entails, at least it is a little clearer now. It was always a risk coming over on a 457 as at late 40 something.

Your son has also not fallen victim to new rules, to avoid the skills assessment it would always have had to be *his* 457 visa that he spent two years on, not somebody else's. There is a direct entry route though (both then and now) and if he can pass skills assessment and has 3 year experience then he doesn't need to wait.

Concerning your son. If he has the skills and position, and experience he can apply any time. As he is now working full time he could not be included on any pr visa you managed to get anyway. His best bet would probably be to look for an employer to sponsor him.

I totally get your pain. We came on a student visa 4.5 years ago and every time we have got to applying for pr the rules have changed. Limbo is amazingly stressful.

Good luck.

Thanks Blossom. My son doesn´t yet have 3 years experience, he has been working in his field of study for 6 months only . He will have to talk to his company and see if they will sponsor him. These rule changes are a killer, I wish they wouldn´t apply to whoever is in the country already. We need to speak to an agent and see if there is another way, but I suppose all this is new to them too...

Archived