Australia's Oldest Backpacker at 95 Years Old

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

The pensioner, from Burleigh Heads on Queensland's Gold Coast, began travelling independently 10 years ago after his wife passed away.

He had always wanted to go to Gallipoli in Turkey for Anzac Day so he decided to sell their house and put the extra money towards a holiday.

He lives on a budget and saves every penny so he can head overseas every second year, staying in hostels and two-star hotels. He also travels to Victoria once a year for the Melbourne Cup.

He has been to 23 countries and 109 cities - his favourite being San Sebastian in Spain.

"It's such a relaxed lifestyle, you have the surf beach and the safe beach and nobody's in a hurry,'' he said.

At the end of this month he heads back to San Sebastian on his eighth trip to Europe.

He will also visit Madrid, Paris, Munich and Vienna on a hop-on hop-off independent rail journey, with a special side trip to London to see his favourite Aussie horse, Black Caviar, race at Royal Ascot.

He has budgeted $9000 for the trip.

Mr Wright prefers travelling independently and recommends other elderly travellers try it for themselves.

"They should get away and do it independently like I'm doing it,'' he said.

"They can choose where they want to go, not where the bus company takes them and it's not as regimented.

"If you have 20 people on a bus you get one bad apple and you're stuck with them for 20 days.

"I can do it on my own much better than the young ones I meet in hostels.''

Despite his legs being "a bit wonky'', Mr Wright said he will keep travelling until he gets "too old''.

He wears his Australia cap wherever he goes which gets him lots of attention from the locals.

Before retiring, Mr Wright worked for Ansett Airways and Pioneer Coach Travel, where he held roles in payroll and operations.

Guest AKA63029
I can see this being Tony in a couple more years :tongue:

This is me in years to come Kate at Palm Cove.

Just had to run back to the VW to get my rod as I've seen a school of fish.:jiggy:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15358[/ATTACH]

Archived