Need advice on the 489 visa and this new EOI

mapster

Ok didn't apply for the 176 before the changes due to not getting 8 in the IELTS!!

I have just contacted our agent who is now saying we could apply for the 489 and then in 2 years apply for another visa which will allow us to stay in OZ.

Any one got any thoughts on this visa? I have 2 children aged 11 + nearly 15 and of course we need to be thinking of GCSE's and idea how long this will all take or is that a silly question?

With this EOI do we apply for that ourselfs how easy is it?

I have my Skills assesment done and got the Ielts results so are we really ready to go for it?

OH I don't know what too do for the best!!:arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

Why cant you go for the 190? The 176 equivalent which is permanent. Why is your agent suggesting a 489?

Saying we not got enough points as I can't get 8 in the reading section on the IELTS!!! which would give us the extra 10 needed

It is really up to you. The 489 is the same as the 475 - provisional for 2 years but in regional Australia.

Where are you looking to stay??

But it would be better to go for the 190 but I realise you have sat the test a few times and are only 0.5 off.

Hi Mapster - been looking out for you Hon after your last test on the dreaded IELTS - really sorry you decided not to go for it again, but totally understand why.

The 489 is a good visa, but if you are going SS sponsored, you can only live and work in a regional area. If you want SS obviously you have to be on their list. If you have a family sponsored 489 in WA you can live and work in Perth, which makes a huge difference if you are needing to work in the metropolitan area.

Family sponsored visas used to take longer to be processed. Under this new system, I am not sure. I am not sure what the processing time will be now that you have to wait for an invitation. As I understand it with WA for instance, if you have obtain SS with them, then you definitely get an invitation. Cannot get any info from DIAC re the family visas.

If you are looking at regional WA, the best option to us seems to be Mandurah or Bunbury. This way you are adhering to the rules of the 489 for the first 2 years and could settle and find work in Mandurah and then after you have obtained PR after the min 2 year rule you could travel into the Metro area from Mandurah (50 mins on the train to the CBD).

The 489 is a 4 year visa, but you have to show that you have lived and worked in a regional area for 12 months out of 24 months. After this time, you can apply for PR.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Hi Mapster - been looking out for you Hon after your last test on the dreaded IELTS - really sorry you decided not to go for it again, but totally understand why.

The 489 is a good visa, but if you are going SS sponsored, you can only live and work in a regional area. If you want SS obviously you have to be on their list. If you have a family sponsored 489 in WA you can live and work in Perth, which makes a huge difference if you are needing to work in the metropolitan area.

Family sponsored visas used to take longer to be processed. Under this new system, I am not sure. I am not sure what the processing time will be now that you have to wait for an invitation. As I understand it with WA for instance, if you have obtain SS with them, then you definitely get an invitation. Cannot get any info from DIAC re the family visas.

If you are looking at regional WA, the best option to us seems to be Mandurah or Bunbury. This way you are adhering to the rules of the 489 for the first 2 years and could settle and find work in Mandurah and then after you have obtained PR after the min 2 year rule you could travel into the Metro area from Mandurah (50 mins on the train to the CBD).

The 489 is a 4 year visa, but you have to show that you have lived and worked in a regional area for 12 months out of 24 months. After this time, you can apply for PR.

Hope this helps and Good Luck.

Hi Candy Girl

I will be the main person and we are looking at going to Perth ie near family who live Padbury and Greenwood. Looking at SS rather than family sponsor. Hubby might need to work in Perth itself as he works in IT? would this be an issue?

Alll applicants must comply with the visa conditions of living and working in regional Australia - if not your visa can be cancelled, as this is basically a TR visa.

There is another thread running asking the same thing started by Jem32

If you want to live and work in Perth you should go family sponsored if your occupation is on SOL 1

Remember, your children still have to be in full time education and be financially reliant on you at the time you apply for, and are granted pr. Definatly something to consider if your son is 15 already. Uni or tafe fees are not cheap out here.

Remember, your children still have to be in full time education and be financially reliant on you at the time you apply for, and are granted pr. Definatly something to consider if your son is 15 already. Uni or tafe fees are not cheap out here.

What are Tafe fees? Uni not cheap here in the Uk either!!

Hi Candy Girl

I will be the main person and we are looking at going to Perth ie near family who live Padbury and Greenwood. Looking at SS rather than family sponsor. Hubby might need to work in Perth itself as he works in IT? would this be an issue?

I like Greenwood - nice suburb and has good rail connections to the CBD. I'm afraid if you are going SS on a 489 none of you will be able to live, work or study in the metro area. I also remember reading about a lady who had been granted a 489 and then realised that her child would not be able to study in a Uni in the metro area. The 489 visa is a good option if you are short on points, but there are drawbacks. I would search for jobs in regional areas for IT and see what is available.

I like Greenwood - nice suburb and has good rail connections to the CBD. I'm afraid if you are going SS on a 489 none of you will be able to live, work or study in the metro area. I also remember reading about a lady who had been granted a 489 and then realised that her child would not be able to study in a Uni in the metro area. The 489 visa is a good option if you are short on points, but there are drawbacks. I would search for jobs in regional areas for IT and see what is available.

Thanks Candy girl will get hubby to look. I will be fine in my job but wasn't aware hubby would couldn't work in the city will need to look at the BIG time......

Hi, we are also looking at the 489 for the same reasons as Mapster, Candygirl, can I ask where you found the information about if you go on a family sponsor you can work in and around Perth, as this is the only thing that would make this work out for us? Just want to make sure before get too excited about this visa!!

When I'm reading the booklet to this visa (page 13 and 14) it states "If you are applying for a Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, and you are being sponsored by an eligible relative, your sponsor must be a resident in one of the following designated areas" for WA its anywhere.

But, then on page 14 it states "If you are being nominated by a state or territory government you must reside on your Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, in one of the following RALPGM areas" and gives out the regional postcodes.

This is where I'm confused, if I get a family sponsor, can I live and work anywhere in WA?? Can anyone clarify this situation??

Another thing I've thought of is that if occupation is on the Sol 2, do you HAVE to have State Sponsorship? Or can a family member still sponsor you?? Complicated stuff this, my head hurts ....

Its all a bit confusing!!

I'm on the Sol 1 list does that mean it will be quicker?

I have emailed the agent we are using asking these questions but they always take a couple of days to reply.

Its all a bit confusing!!

I'm on the Sol 1 list does that mean it will be quicker?

I have emailed the agent we are using asking these questions but they always take a couple of days to reply.

Visas have Priority Processing Arrangements

From 1 July 2011, processing priorities (with highest priority listed first) are:

1. applications from people who are employer sponsored under the RSMS program or who have applied for a Skilled – Regional (subclass 887) visa

2. applications from people who are applying under the ENS program

3. applications from people who are nominated by a state or territory government agency for an occupation specified on that agency's state migration plan

4. applications from people who have nominated an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) – Schedule 1 in effect from 1 July 2011

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/24apriority_skilled.htm

When I'm reading the booklet to this visa (page 13 and 14) it states "If you are applying for a Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, and you are being sponsored by an eligible relative, your sponsor must be a resident in one of the following designated areas" for WA its anywhere.

But, then on page 14 it states "If you are being nominated by a state or territory government you must reside on your Skilled – Regional Sponsored (Provisional) visa, in one of the following RALPGM areas" and gives out the regional postcodes.

This is where I'm confused, if I get a family sponsor, can I live and work anywhere in WA?? Can anyone clarify this situation??

For Family Sponsored 489 visas you CAN work, live and study anywhere in WA. Perth Metro area became a regional area on 12 September 2011.

For State Sponsored 489 visas you can only live, work and study in the regional area (postcodes above).

Also, just to add something into the mix. Your family member who is willing to sponsor does not have to live in the same state as you wish to reside. My OH's uncle lives in Rockhampton (designated area for QLD) and is allowed to still sponsor us. I checked this with a manager at DIAC who confirmed this was the case. A family member can sponsor you as long as they live in a regional area themselves.

To sum it up, SS 489 - CANNOT live, work or study in Perth. Fam S 489 you CAN live, work and study in Perth.

You also have to bear in mind that the Fam S 489 processing time is currently 12-18 months and the SS 489 processing time is currently 6 months (according to DIAC).

I hope this helps.

Thank you so much Candygirl, this is very positive news and I hasten to add, this info isn't easy to find on the DIAC website (as it isn't there) - so most grateful for your input.

Hoping this is visa is looking positive to you too Mapster.

For Family Sponsored 489 visas you CAN work, live and study anywhere in WA. Perth Metro area became a regional area on 12 September 2011.

For State Sponsored 489 visas you can only live, work and study in the regional area (postcodes above).

Also, just to add something into the mix. Your family member who is willing to sponsor does not have to live in the same state as you wish to reside. My OH's uncle lives in Rockhampton (designated area for QLD) and is allowed to still sponsor us. I checked this with a manager at DIAC who confirmed this was the case. A family member can sponsor you as long as they live in a regional area themselves.

To sum it up, SS 489 - CANNOT live, work or study in Perth. Fam S 489 you CAN live, work and study in Perth.

You also have to bear in mind that the Fam S 489 processing time is currently 12-18 months and the SS 489 processing time is currently 6 months (according to DIAC).

I hope this helps.

Thanks this is a great help..

Can you inform me what it intales the family in OZ sponsoring you? Hubby a little worried about asking his aunt to do this for us.

bloody agent is usless:mad:

What are Tafe fees? Uni not cheap here in the Uk either!!

Until you are on a permanent visa you have to pay international fees. You can look up the tafe where you would be and see what courses are available at what price. I would guess you would be looking at a minimum for $25k for a two year course. Some are much more. I think uni is more than that.

Archived