Hello- any advice for primary school teacher wanting to get to Oz??

Cleowag

Hi

Myself and hubby have wanted to move to Oz since visiting in 2008, we'd love to go to Melbourne. We've been slightly delayed due to the addition of our little boy. However, we now want to get the wheels in motion.

Hubby is a primary school teacher. He teaches ages 10-11 back here but has taught from age 8 upwards and did teacher training with reception.

Have we any chance of him passing a skills test and realistically getting a job?

We did do on online assessment with a visa company (wont name and shame them), who said primary school teachers were required in Victoria and that we qualified. Luckily we didn't pay them the fee and on checking the Victoria government website, we say that it wasn't on the SOL. The visa company claimed to have made a mistake!!

We are willing to go to other parts of Oz.

Anyone who can offer any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Hi

Myself and hubby have wanted to move to Oz since visiting in 2008, we'd love to go to Melbourne. We've been slightly delayed due to the addition of our little boy. However, we now want to get the wheels in motion.

Hubby is a primary school teacher. He teaches ages 10-11 back here but has taught from age 8 upwards and did teacher training with reception.

Have we any chance of him passing a skills test and realistically getting a job?

We did do on online assessment with a visa company (wont name and shame them), who said primary school teachers were required in Victoria and that we qualified. Luckily we didn't pay them the fee and on checking the Victoria government website, we say that it wasn't on the SOL. The visa company claimed to have made a mistake!!

We are willing to go to other parts of Oz.

Anyone who can offer any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

I believe you will need a state sponsorship for primary teacher but at the moment I don't think any are sponsoring. So I think there is nothing you can do, but wait and hope it comes back on the list.

Guest guest71686
Thanks for the replies. Been to an expo today and told that Canberra, SA The Northern Territories are doing state sponsorship.

good luck with the process,which one appeals?

Any! With this British weather! In all seriousness, probably South Australia. The Northern territories would be too hot for us northerners. We're on the the beginning of the process, thanks for the replies and fingers crossed.

First question - is he 4 year trained? If not he doesnt stand a hope in hell of getting a job.

Secondly, be aware that there are plenty of primary teachers in Australia all vying for jobs in the places that people actually want to live - so if you want a nice beachside suburb he is unlikely to find a job in it. Most states have a sort of "hardship" credit system going where you do your time in the places that no Aussie teachers want to live in and then you might get consideration for a "plum" position.

Does he have any other strings to his bow? Special Ed? Sport? Music?

If he has a job in UK then perhaps try for a teacher exchange first before you chuck it all away.

He's four year trained in that he has a history degree and then went on to do a one year PGCE, does that count? He does teach the PE at his school. Unfortunately the council he works for don't particpate in the teacher exhange anymore. We wouldn't give up everything without a job offer for him to go anyway as that wouldn't be realistic.

I appreciate it may not be easy or happen at all. He struggled to get a teaching job in this country (when there's allegedly a shortage of teachers!) so we're not viewing it through rose tinted glasses.

Thanykyou for your advice.

Yup he will be fine with his degree plus PGCE - a lot of teachers dont have the fourth year and come unstuck when they are then trying to emigrate.

If he teaches PE he could look at getting some coaching qualifications under his belt as well - in something that is universal like swimming or cricket for example.

I dont fancy your chances of getting a permanent position before you arrive TBH. His best bet might be with the private schools rather than government ones - there are loads of primary teachers out of jobs in Aus.

Archived