How likely is it we can keep 3 dogs?

staffyfee

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of keeping more than the allowed number of dogs in suburbs around Perth?

I have read that if you have between 2.5 and 5 acres you can keep 3 but this is not a likely possibility straight away. We want to bring 3 dogs but obviously want to try and avoid having to rehome one of them with 28 days notice if the council denies us permission to keep them all.

Has anyone done this, and is the application merely a formality; in other words will we more than likely get permission to keep 3? Or is it highly unlikely that this is the case?

I have also read something about 'kennel zones'. Again if anyone could shed any light or share experience I would be most grateful, thanks.

hi Staffy,im sorry don't know answer to your question,but just wondered if you have checked out the cost of bringing 3 dogs,its all done on size apparently,i have a very big lab/retriever and its going to cost including quarantine best part of $10000,i've really shopped about but the few companies have the market,smaller dogs do come in much cheaper,just thought i would let you know what your letting yourself in for.Good luck.

I honestly don't like your chances of winning approval to keep 3 dogs in a residential area. The other thing you should consider is that the more animals you have the more difficult it will be to get a rental property.

You would need to know which council area you were going to be living in before you could approach anyone for permission. I would also want that permission in writing. You also need to be aware that even if permission is given if your neighbours complain the permission is likely to be withdrawn.

Guest The Pom Queen

Firstly you need to check with the council you are moving in to. Yes it is possible but you would need to apply for a permit, I'm not sure on WA but in Vic it means speaking to the neighbours to see if they object. What I would highly recommend, if possible, is leaving them with family/friends and then when you are settled ship them over.

Guest guest17301

I know that in most council areas, 2 is the limit...officially. I daresay if you live out in the sticks its a different story. I would have a look at council websites in areas you are considering. You cant leave 1 behind really can you!

My friend took a 3rd dog (rescue) her neighbour complained and she had to get rid of it - they really are strict and as someone else said you may really struggle to get get permission. There are areas called Kennel zones were it's permissible to keep more than one dog - look into those areas and see if they meet your needs, although again rentals in those areas may be difficult to get.

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any firsthand experience of keeping more than the allowed number of dogs in suburbs around Perth?

I have read that if you have between 2.5 and 5 acres you can keep 3 but this is not a likely possibility straight away. We want to bring 3 dogs but obviously want to try and avoid having to rehome one of them with 28 days notice if the council denies us permission to keep them all.

Has anyone done this, and is the application merely a formality; in other words will we more than likely get permission to keep 3? Or is it highly unlikely that this is the case?

I have also read something about 'kennel zones'. Again if anyone could shed any light or share experience I would be most grateful, thanks.

We live on 5 acres in Carramar................ we are only allowed 2 dogs.

I have a client who has come over here from Sydney with 4 very small dogs; he tried to obtain one of our rental properties but each time various Landlords knocked him back. In the end he did manage to secure a rental out at Yanchep complete with 4 dogs.............. however; should the relevant Authorities find out i am pretty sure he will be compelled to find alternative homes for two of his dogs.

He recently began looking for alternative rentals as he has enrolled his daughter in a private school in a different area. Thus far he has applied for 17 rental properties; all described as pet-friendly.......... unfortunately he has been knocked back 17 times........... and all have cited the 4 dogs as being the reason he was knocked back. He now has the choice of staying where he is in Yanchep.............. and praying the neighbours don't dob him in for having 4 dogs; or alternatively he may want to return to Sydney where he owns a home.

Archived