Price of building your own home??

Guest monty

Happy new year everyone!! Please can somebody offer me some advice about building your own home. We are currently looking at the options available and would really appreciate any information from peeps who have either done this or are in the process of doing it. We've looked at new builds on some of the new estates but find that the plots are smaller than expected, we've considered getting an older property and doing it up. But that might prove less economical in the long term and finding the right property in the right location may also be difficult. We are currently living in coromandel area and love the hills and surrounding areas and would like to settle in this area. We currently have

80,000 GBP towards our dream and this may contribute to the cost of the land. Ideally we would like a 4 bed 2 bath home with a reasonable size plot. Any info regarding positive and negative experiences would really be appreciated.

Thanks Montyx

How long is a piece of string

You are correct the plot of land used to be typically 1000m but now it has been reduced to

650m and the prices have increased!

It is the land price that is the biggest part of the costs.

I had a look at a few show homes in Perth last year and it costs $150k to $250k

To build a three bedroom house depending on developer and specification.

I would guess that it is the same cost in most states.

I have read that it is possible to save up to 20% on building a house your self

But unless you have building skills it can be stressful.

Guest Getting Down Under

Hi Montyx

Unfortunately if South Australia is anything like the housing market here on the West Coast, plot sizes on new builds are getting smaller whilst the land prices are getting higher.

In WA, this is down to high demand due to population growth brought about by the wonders of the economy here and slow releases of new land for development. I'm unsure if South Australia is facing similar issues.

If your looking for a larger plot then I'd suggest you have two options. Buy an old property on a big plot, bulldoze the thing and re build or buy a plot of land slightly further out in the sticks where land prices tend to be cheaper.

However, unfortunately the reality is that Land and properties aren't as cheap in certain states as they were 3 - 4 years ago.

I wrote a couple of Blog entries on the subject a while back which you may find of interest :)

How much house can you get for £150,000 and Land for Sale in Australia - but not as we know it!

All the best and good luck

Mark

We bought a property to renovate and it isnt easy,satisfying but stressful !lol.Tradesmen are very hard to get, materials and paint arent as cheap as you think, and its hard knowing where to go for things in a strange country.Most of all dont under estimate the cost of 'outside' work.The majority of our money was spent outside even though we more or less stripped and redecorated a 3 bed house.Yes we have a pool but had budgeted for that,not for re doing all underground drainage pipes that leaked leaving rain tanks empty,gravel pits and soil barriers in places that flood,stones for pathways and concrete slabs for just about anything ,the list is endless,most people think a new build is the cheaper option but seriously consider how much money you will be left with for outside,remember most aussies spend their time outside!I would look into both options and decide which is best for you ,we now have a lovely house on 2 acers which has cost us the same as new builds are selling for on a 800sq mtr plot,,

Cal x

Guest fairbloodydinkum

removable homes are the go in qld....from one bedroom to big queenslanders....

prices from $50.000 up...

$10.000 gets it delivered and placed on stumps..the rest is up to you..:cute:

Guest Rachael BB
Happy new year everyone!! Please can somebody offer me some advice about building your own home. We are currently looking at the options available and would really appreciate any information from peeps who have either done this or are in the process of doing it. We've looked at new builds on some of the new estates but find that the plots are smaller than expected, we've considered getting an older property and doing it up. But that might prove less economical in the long term and finding the right property in the right location may also be difficult. We are currently living in coromandel area and love the hills and surrounding areas and would like to settle in this area. We currently have

80,000 GBP towards our dream and this may contribute to the cost of the land. Ideally we would like a 4 bed 2 bath home with a reasonable size plot. Any info regarding positive and negative experiences would really be appreciated.

Thanks Montyx

Hi Monty

We are in the process of building a house. Check out my blog. Suburban Building Project

Rachael

Guest Tom the Pom
Hi Monty

We are in the process of building a house. Check out my blog. Suburban Building Project

Rachael

Love the blog!!!

Progress seems to be going well - can't beleive you got burgled, what happened - was it your rental or your new house?

Guest scots-in-oz!
Hi Monty

Rachael

Yes, excellent blog Rachael! Can't wait to see the finished house, your new home! Will keep an eye out to see how it's going!

Mags:wubclub:

x

Wow thanks everyone for your replies, definately given me loads of info. Rachael your blog is brilliant keep us updated, can't wait to see the finished product.

Montyx

Archived