Coca Cola Linked to Cancer

Guest The Pom Queen

Guest The Pom Queen

Campaigners are calling for a ban on a colouring linked to cancer which has been found in Coca-Cola sold in Britain.

A chemical in the caramel colouring that gives the drink its distinctive colour has been at the centre of a health alert in the United States.

Coca-Cola has recently switched to a new manufacturing process in America to bring down the level of the suspect chemical, 4-methylimidazole (4-MI).

But this precaution has not yet been taken in other countries such as Britain, where its products are the nation’s biggest selling soft drinks with sales of £1.1billion a year.

The amount of 4-MI found in regular Coca-Cola cans sold in Britain was 135 micrograms – some 34 times higher than the 4mcg level in the US, according to research by the US group Center For Science In The Public Interest in partnership with Britain’s Children’s Food Campaign.

Health authorities in California are so concerned that they have passed a law that requires any can of drink containing a 4-MI reading of 30mcg or more to carry a health warning. If this safety assessment was applied in Britain, all cans of Coke would have to carry a warning.

Guest AKA63029

It seems to be something else every other day that can cause cancer Kate.

From letting shampoo stay on the head to long to the obvious like fags.

Good to know he warning labels 'may' be put in place, but the hardened 'Coke Heads' (no pun intended) will drink it no matter what.

BUT, it's bloody shocking that the chemical over here is so prevalent compared to the US.:shocked::realmad:

Guest The Pom Queen
Well I'm doomed then !!!! I drink over 30 cans a week and thats a good week !!!

Cal x

30 cans a week that's nothing on Rob, he really has an addiction. I nearly got him in to trouble at the airport once when I said "your addiction to coke needs to stop, you've got the jitters" everyone in the line looked at us and he got an extra check from customs lol x

30 cans a week that's nothing on Rob, he really has an addiction. I nearly got him in to trouble at the airport once when I said "your addiction to coke needs to stop, you've got the jitters" everyone in the line looked at us and he got an extra check from customs lol x

pmsl thats hilarious!! thanks for cheering me up x

Guest The Pom Queen
pmsl thats hilarious!! thanks for cheering me up x

Rob didn't think so, he didn't talk to me for the full plane journey :laugh:

Guest The Pom Queen
I often try giving up my "coke" habit (Diet). I used to have about 6 cans a week at work. then drink 4 litres a week at home !

Still trying.

I really do think it's an addiction like smoking, Rob must have 10 bottles/cans a day and if he runs out then we all take cover lol

im not a huge fan of cola here but for some reason i always drink quite a lot of it on holiday, it seems to taste better out of those glass bottles with some lemon. same with sprite, never drink it here bt always do abroad. I stick with my Irn bru here but im trying to wean myself off it and drink water or robinsons instead

Archived