How to motivate kids with behavioral problems to read?

Guest MarieTyler

Guest MarieTyler

Hi all,

I have a class of 11 students with behavioral problems and we are having difficulty with motivating them to read. Any suggestions on books that for 6th graders in a very urban setting would enjoy or activities to do with them?

Thanks in advance,

Marie

Do they like sport? Playing outside? 'Bribe' them with playing sport if they do their reading. Was on a course a few months back with a teaching asistant who used to take one of her 'kids' outside every hour for 10 mins to play basketball, apparently he loved it, and she said it worked wonders with him. Might be a bit more difficult with 11 but worth a try.

Guest The Pom Queen

Could you turn it in to a game with prizes, for example the best reader, the one who reads the most etc

Guest Shell15

does it have to be a book? Could it be a magazine on there favourite thing i.e. cars, motorbikes etc.. it may not be a 'book' as such but when my son had no interest in reading, his school would let him bring his motorcross magazines in to read and it worked..no harm in trying I guess .. good luck!

What age are 6th graders? When my son, who never wanted to read was perhaps 9 or 10 I got him the Cressida Cowell How to train your dragon books. The characters had wonderfully naughty names like snotlout and horrendous hiccup and so on. It was a very witty, funny and irreverent read. I read 2 pages and he read one. With bed time for the baby he would often read on to get to the next hilarious bit and thus he started reading in earnest.

If you find the right book it can work.......................it did for him when nothing else did. He is currently reading Chris Ryan books at 14 and read all the Twilight and Harry Potter books too so it wasn't just those Dragon books.

Good luck.:biggrin:

Teach a class of 8 high functioning ASD puplils. All from 'urban' backgrounds. Try Auto/biogs of celebrities they admire/aspire to be. Not ideal, but its a good way of getting them to pick up a book!In my experience kids like that need to have a vested interest in a subject as a starting point. Good luck.

Absolutely, go with the interest and then use mags, blogs, brochures etc anything with the written word.

If you can, link it with some practical activity eg stripping down a motor, cooking a meal, growing fruit trees.

Get their literacy levels checked - you could be flogging a dead horse if they cant see/hear/process properly.

If they do have basic literacy skills then books like Choose Your Own Adventure make it look like they are reading a "real" book but they get a decent story within a few pages. Kids who struggle with reading dont like to have to attack "big" projects.

Encourage writing - you can transcribe if they dictate and they can produce their own library of texts which can be shared amongst the group and you can have group generated stories where one kid starts, the next kid adds and the next kid adds more. Illustrate lavishly with photos or their own artistic efforts if possible

Good luck, you are working with some of the most challenging kids around! My hat's off to you!!!!

Guest Burchos

My son can be restless, aged 12, and not really a big reader. However he loves anything factual, facts, facts, facts can't get enough of them, encyclopedias, guiness book of records, the papers, sports magazines. Also books like Diary of a Wimpy Kid as they have quite a lot of cartoons in and around the text.

Archived