WHV application for April 2013

Lauren31

Hi Everyone,

Im Lauren, im 24 years old from England. I am planning going to Australia on a WHV in April 2013. I know its a while away yet but i need to have things organised as im a bit OCD lol.:err:

How long before i go can i apply for my visa..just for peace of mind so i know ive got it? Does it start from when you apply or when you enter the country? If its when you apply i will have to wait till nearer the time.

Im sure i read somewhere that you will be asked for a permenant address when applying for the visa but how am i to give this when i will be staying in hostels the whole time?

I plan to start in Cairns and work my way down the east coast. I Have no idea how long im going to spend in each place as i dont know what each place is going to be like and how much work i will find.

Also what to i do about healthcare when i am out there? Ive heard of something called a medicare card...how do i get this?

Thanks guys

When you apply for the visa you get 12 months to enter the country, once you enter the country your visa starts. Permanent address you put in your address currently not an address for oz. I think it is adviseable to get health insurance but I believe you are covered for emergency treatment or at least some of it (depending on what country you live in). I am sure somebody else will be able to advise better.

Have a good trip!

Don't you have 12 months from when it's granted to first enter Aus?

I'd apply for your visa and make sure its granted before you buy your flight ticket (and make sure you get an open return in case your funds run low of you need to get back in a hurry). A few months ahead should be fine. It usually comes through in a few days. It's really simple to apply so don't pay a company to do it for you.

And make sure you do have sufficient funds to cover time in Aus. Believe it or not, work isn't always easy to find and people going over with little savings can often end up running out. Hence also worth having that return flight booked in case you don't have money to get back (it has happened to some).

Yep, 12 months to enter Australia after you get your visa granted. We got ours through within a matter of hours - was fairly instant. All done online through the immi website - don't use any other site otherwise you'll just get ripped off.

You get medicare when you arrive, this entitles you to emergency healthcare (so all hopspital treatments are free) we used this when hubby came off his surf board badly and needed x-rays on his back and about 4 weeks worth of physio - all free. Doctors you have to pay for, you get a rebate back (my doctors charge $74 but I get $36 back from medicare) all doctors charge different rates so worth checking.

Second what everyone else says. I applied for a medicare card when in Aus although never used it. if you do apply for one and when/if you apply for a tax file number you need an aussie address, it can be a hostel or vanpark but make sure you're sticking around for a while so you receive it. I did the tax file number online and went into a medicare centre in QLD to get my medicare card, you fill in a form there and have to provide your passport and whv grant page/number. They give you a temporary medicare number on a receipt type paper until your card comes through in the post. To be on the safe side i had a medicare card AND private travel insurance.

I actually booked my flight before i applied for my visa - flight 9 months before going and visa 6 months before going. I thought i had no reason to be rejected and wasn't of course! It took minutes for my visa to be granted.

Archived