WHY Only ACT & NSW Charge School Fees..?????

knight2931

Does anybody know why it is only ACT & NSW charge 457 visa holders to send there kids to school, we will be coming out to Sydney in Aug/Sept this year with two children aged 7 & 9 at $4500 each this will take a huge chunk out of our savings, I know you can apply to get them exempt but has anybody been know to have actually got them exempt..!!!

Will be applying for PR as soon as we can so we won't have to pay the fees.

Also can anyone reccomend any good schools/areas to live, my OH will be working at North Shore Hospital, don't mind a 30-40 minute commute....have been looking at mount colah, wahroonga area...!

Australia runs on a Federal system, with states accountable for a whole bunch of things, policing, education, health, licensing been some of the bigger ones.

So it is state parliament that decides these things. They often don't refer to other states for reference. You will also find that the transfer duty on a property in NSW is different to other states, payroll taxes will be different (paid by employer), first time hoe owners grant will b different. You can be mad in Tweed, but perfectly sane 100 meters across the border in Queensland.

I wouldnt shout too loud - some of the other states may suddenly decide they cant afford to pay for temporary residents in education either. There have been mutterings on and off over the years about other states revising their fee structure as well.

Archived