Weevils

Bob1

I posted in the clothes thread about moths eating my woolen clothes and now I want to ask for help with weevils! If I open a bag of flour or rice, put it in a zip top bag and then in a container, the weevils still manage to get in. I'm forever throwing things out of the pantry. Anyone else have this problem and what do you to get rid of them?

I had a pantry moth invasion a couple of months ago (weevils are the same thing). I threw everything 'loose' such as cereal, sugar, flour etc out (and unfortunately it was everything) and made sure that the pantry cupboards were thoroughly washed with a solution I made of water, washing up liquid and vinegar. Then I bought some jars for the flour etc which I didn't have before, and when I bought new flour and things I put the bag in a sealable ziploc bag and put it in the freezer for a couple of days to make sure that there were absolutely no chance of new eggs coming in to the pantry. I would imagine that the eggs have been laid in nooks and crannies in your cupboards and are getting in that way. They are an absolute pain in the backside!

The weevils are already in the flour-they hatch out after a while so you either need to use it quickly or do as someone said and put it in the freezer for a while. The 'moths' might also be silverfish- they are a menace and chew holes in your clothes. I hang those things you get in the supermarket in the cupboard.

Guest Longtime Lurker

When I lived in Cyprus I bought some flour - when I opened it that day the flour was moving with weevils. Took it back to the NAAFI and they told me to sieve it!!!! Yuk, yuk, yuk. Is it is possible it became infested where you bought it?

Guest Guest62757

Oh yes! They are such a pain in the asbo.

Agree with everyone else, throw it all out give the cupboards a very thorough clean even around the hinges etc..

Wipe over with a eucalyptus oil.

Freeze everything you buy for a few days to kill off the eggs. Use airtight containers for your sugar and spices.

Lastly buy pantry moth traps.

I have never heard of weevils before so i googled it (big mistake) they have all the pics of the 60,000 different types.... i also read that you can leave a box of matches in the same cupboard as they dont like the smell of Sulfur dont know if this is true or not and i hope we never get them.

Archived