Heading out on a w.h.v In august/september 2012.

london chap

Hi im looking at going over in august or september 2012. I havent booked my flights yet as currently not sure when or where to go so any advise would be great.

I'm currently travelling alone so would like to know the best place to go for work and to meet other backpackers in my postion :).

I'm also looking at getting the 2 year work out of the way just in case i wanted to stay longer :). Also how much money is best to take ?

Hey there,

Have a look around the other threads and there should be others who may be going alone too. Take as much money as possible. Give Britchickx a PM as her and boyfriend have been over and they're also going over again soon, she should have some good advice for you.

Best of luck :)

Thanks :). im not too sure where i want to start off, Thats the main question im asking really. I want to plan my route to the work season in each place.

my first plan was head to perth, but looking and reading on here it looks like people head to the n.t darwin etc and travel the east cost.

I'm also trying to plan so i get the best of each season in each place, i would dread to follow the winter around i get enough of the cold in the uk lol.

Thanks :). im not too sure where i want to start off, Thats the main question im asking really. I want to plan my route to the work season in each place.

my first plan was head to perth, but looking and reading on here it looks like people head to the n.t darwin etc and travel the east cost.

I'm also trying to plan so i get the best of each season in each place, i would dread to follow the winter around i get enough of the cold in the uk lol.

Lol yeah you dont want to go somewhere thats cold! Im really not sure where the best starting place to go would be, i hear theres plenty work in the NT so maybe start there? The main thing is to try and get your regional work out of the way asap for your 2nd year visa

Thanks stacey that is my plan i really want to do the regional work first for 2 reasons, first as i will be on my own and think it would be best way to meet people and second would be to get it out the way then im open to enjoy myself.

Yer i hear NT has alot of the type of work for the 2nd year visa and that it would be hot in august/september. I also hear its the aussie winter about then so i need to be careful :)

Thanks stacey that is my plan i really want to do the regional work first for 2 reasons, first as i will be on my own and think it would be best way to meet people and second would be to get it out the way then im open to enjoy myself.

Yer i hear NT has alot of the type of work for the 2nd year visa and that it would be hot in august/september. I also hear its the aussie winter about then so i need to be careful :)

Im sure the aussie winter wont be bad compared to Uk ones, well not scottish ones anyway lol :laugh: Your plan sounds good, I think it would be really easy to just go somewhere like Sydney and then run out of time for your regional work so best to get it out the way and then you can relax. You'll meet plenty other people so dont worry about that, there seems to be quite a few people on here going alone. It'll be exciting!

Join the YHA before you go, although there are plenty of private hostels too, especially in the capital cities. I don't know much about seasonal work but, that apart, it probably does not matter where you arrive in Australia, just find a hostel to stay for the first few days and you should be able to make some connections.

Guest Lucky22

Hey london chap, were going in september. Heading to brisbane for 2 weeks then heading up towards cairns..

Then basically travel from there or even try find farm work while travelling up to cairns.

Me and my partner are looking at doing the same, getting the 88 days done ASAP to gain the 2nd WHV.

Be good to keep in touch.:)

take a look at this http://jobsearch.gov.au/harvesttrail/default.aspx then click on the link at the bottom it's a PDF file, it's a guide to harvest work around australia it should tell you what work is available in what season and in each of the states.

edit- just checked and yes it does, I know it's a big pdf file but it's definately worth your time.

just checked again lol if you're looking at the NT to start work in sept, there is banana, citrus, mango, flower and veggie work

Well, I started off in Perth, and i went in august, but there wasn't a lot of work around, i don't regret going to that part first as WA is GORGEOUS! But really just go somewhere you think you can get work in if that's your main focus, and just because there's lots of work doesn't mean it's easy to get a job. If you can't get work move on, don't hang about and waste money/time. If you want to do Darwin the most then go there when the seasonal work is available (most of the year lol) and hopefully you'll get a job. You can always use wwoofing to fall back on to save money.

thanks. my first plan was to head to perth and spend time there. now im thinking head to darwin travel the east coast and finish off in perth as herd good things about it. I want to spend a bit of time in vic and also perth as know people there. So was thinking leave that untill last as if i get my 2nd year whv and want to settle over there i will already have contacts (if that makes any sence).

Yeah def don't miss out on the east coast cairns-sydney! I'm jealous of you seeing Darwin! We were gonna go there for a hols but we're being sensible and going to new zealand first so i can get my partner visa. At least if you leave perth til last if you're low on money or in a bit of trouble you have a base to go back to.

You know what weirdly enough, after travelling from perth to cairns, we got a flight back to perth so we could fly to the UK. and we spent last christmas just the one day in Perth and it was well weird and very quiet!

Archived