Arcacia Ridge & Surrounding Suburbs

Jackinabox

Arcacia Ridge Qld & Surrounding Suburbs..........what's it like?.......or would you be going closer to the coast?

We would appreciate some opinion and personal experiences astoo location.

We are expecting to move to the East Coast Qld before September2012 and ideally ‘somewhere’ between Brisbane and Gold Coast to give us the best of opportunities in Australia that suits our lifestyle. Me, Wife & 17 year old son. My wife and I should both be working and our son has left school and will therefore hopefully be looking to start an apprenticeship in engineering or mechanics. Not surewhere he will need to go for this or when he would be expected to start so we needto research a little more.

We have chosen Brisbane – Gold Coast (huge I know) because we like Brisbane, love the Sunshine Coast which is well within a reasonable journey, like Surfers and love Byron Bay which is not too far away and the whole area encompasses an immense number of outdoor activities and family stuff that suits us. We can always jump on a plain too or hire a campervan if we feel a little more adventurous.We make the best of anything and everything and are always open to new experiences and challenges.

We envisage that we will initially be looking at a holidaylet to see us through until our household goods arrive (potentially for 8 weeks ish?) and will then be looking for a longer term rental for perhaps up to 12 months to giveus the time needed to get settled into the daily routine and to determine exactly which specific area to eventually buy, live and settle in. We would like to be somewhere that gives relatively easy access to the coast, although not necessarily at the wave’s edge (not initally anyway).

I have been looking at a potential job opportunity for me in the Arcacia Ridge Qld area so therefore have been looking on the real estate websites for long term rentals in Arcacia Ridge and surrounding suburbs toenable me to commute/drive into Arcacia Ridge for work. I could cycle too. Not looking for anything extravagant but also not looking at living in the Bronx. Don’t want to be driving any great distances just to get the basics in shopping either.

As I am currently in the UK I only have access to websites and Google Streetmaps etc but have absolutely no idea on the reality of these areas/suburbs for real living. I have seen property at $300 -$350 per week (for our first 12months before buying) and anticipate attempting to keep the rental expenditure down to as little as possible (2/3 beds) and certainly for the first 12 months to enable us to build up more savings as well as being able to enjoy our weekends and home time in the meantime. We do have a greater plan and will be aiming for the 4/2 with a pool etc (for family visits) but slowly, slowly.

Any hints, tips and pointers on the area would be greatly appreciated.

Forest lake and Springfield lakes are more or less on the doorstep but if it were me, I'd go for a little longer commute and settle in Daisy Hill. A lovely pituresque area (forget that it's classed as part of Logan)............i see you cycle so it also has a mountain bike club. Most places in west karawatha ward are OK also http://gailmacpherson.com/01_cms/details.asp?ID=2

I'm not too clued up on the southside as I live north but I know folk who live in those areas and they are happy there. I sell fish to a bloke in daisy hill and every time I travel down there, I think what a nice area it seems to be and he's lived there all his life and loves it. There are a number of Tafes on the south side for your son to train also.

Have a look at Calamvale, Stretton, Forest Lakes, Park Ridge, Greenabank, Jimboomba... All within 30 mins of Acacia Ridge and all have access to decent schools. Some of those areas are more built up than others so it will depend what you personally want. All are an hour or under commute to The Gold Coast too.

Cal x

As I'm sure you noticed Acacia Ridge is dominated by industrial pockets so doesn't have the best reputation but like anywhere there will be good pockets.

You could edge closer to the beenleigh train line which would provide rail access to the city centre, Yeronga TAFE, Southbank TAFE and many facilities.

Salisbury might be worth looking at. You could try and find that 4 bed house you are aiming for in your budget range and see if your chosen area provides this.

Example Salisbury house with 30 minute train trip to CBD and less to TAFE colleges: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-salisbury-109407941

While renting you might consider staying in a semi-detached townhouse complex where someone else takes care of the outdoor maintenance and prices are lower.

Forest lake and Springfield lakes are more or less on the doorstep but if it were me, I'd go for a little longer commute and settle in Daisy Hill. A lovely pituresque area (forget that it's classed as part of Logan)............i see you cycle so it also has a mountain bike club. Most places in west karawatha ward are OK also http://gailmacpherson.com/01_cms/details.asp?ID=2

I'm not too clued up on the southside as I live north but I know folk who live in those areas and they are happy there. I sell fish to a bloke in daisy hill and every time I travel down there, I think what a nice area it seems to be and he's lived there all his life and loves it. There are a number of Tafes on the south side for your son to train also.

Thanks for the input JD. Would agree that Daisy Hill and Karawatha look nice. I dont cycle (havent got a bike).......but if location/distance permitted it I would certainly give it a go, if only to save on fuel costs really............and of course to help remain healthy.

Have a look at Calamvale, Stretton, Forest Lakes, Park Ridge, Greenabank, Jimboomba... All within 30 mins of Acacia Ridge and all have access to decent schools. Some of those areas are more built up than others so it will depend what you personally want. All are an hour or under commute to The Gold Coast too.

Cal x

Thanks Cal. Some nice locations there. Cheers.

As I'm sure you noticed Acacia Ridge is dominated by industrial pockets so doesn't have the best reputation but like anywhere there will be good pockets.

You could edge closer to the beenleigh train line which would provide rail access to the city centre, Yeronga TAFE, Southbank TAFE and many facilities.

Salisbury might be worth looking at. You could try and find that 4 bed house you are aiming for in your budget range and see if your chosen area provides this.

Example Salisbury house with 30 minute train trip to CBD and less to TAFE colleges: http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-salisbury-109407941

While renting you might consider staying in a semi-detached townhouse complex where someone else takes care of the outdoor maintenance and prices are lower.

Thanks fish.

Yeah.......It was the industrial areas and a specific employer that drew me look at Acacia Ridge. Plenty of employment opportunities going on there and it looks like it is expanding further. I think you are most definilty right on the townhouse rental initially. Availability seems good and rental levels lower and far more suitable in the short term whilst getting to know the place and building those savings.

I have also looked at the industrial areas in Brisbane CBD and potential for employment in and around. Obviously the employment location will ultimately determine my residence location but I suppose a 30 - 45 mins commute/drive to work can only be acceptable. (Now that I've written that it opens up a larger area I think).........as I could drive from Logan to Brisbane in 30 minutes? Lots to ponder.

Cheers.

Cheers.

What area of employment are you looking at mate? There's plenty of industrial areas on the northside also, in fact, that seems to be where many are re-locating to of late, as they look for new/purpose built/expanding premises.

Hi

We live in daisy hill and my wife works in Acacia ridge, she starts at 8 and it takes her about 30 mins to get to work . i work northside in virginia and can be there in 40-45 mins . you can be at surfers paradise in 40 min from here as you are straight on motorway. its a nice area ,check out shailer park daisy hill and springwood as areas ,there is also a lot of buisnesess around this area so good chance of finding work.

there is soccer,cricket and rugby clubs in daisy hill that your son might be intersted in.

Jay

Archived