Brother and sister

Guest aaron&pryce

Guest aaron&pryce

Just found out we might be moving to oz and we would like to know more about the country.

Could you tell us the goods and bads about moving there?:no:

Aaron is 12 and me Pryce is 11.

Aaron likes football(soccer)and he supports Chelsea

I am pryce and I enjoy arts and crafts.I also like playing on my nintendo DS and I

play the violin.

Ok, I know I'm old and therefore don't count, but my kids were a similar age to you when they came over to Adelaide so I'm answering anyway!:twitcy:

Firstly, we have the DS (and every other gaming system!) so you're ok there! Soccer is played and since the World Cup has become much more popular..so he can carry on. both be ok! Aaron might find he loves AFL (footy) but he'll be able to keep supporting Chelsea (sigh) although I think the games are sometimes shown at weird times.:unsure:He might even buy a personalised number plate with CHELSEA on it when he learns to drive at 16.

Arts and crafts are HUGE here Pryce, and you'll be able to find heaps of interesting supplies in the shops. I'm sure your new school will offer violin lessons, but if not, there are lots of music teachers so you'll be able to carry on with it.

Basically life is much the same, just sunnier! Kids do the same kind of things and are pretty welcoming. The biggest change might be school. For example here in South Autralia, kids don't go to high school until yr8 which means they are nearer 13. My son went from yr6 to yr4, my daughter went from grammar school back to primary school (but it was good 'cos she had a graduation like all the other Aussie kids). School is funner (not my word!) apparently but you still have to work hard. So it's all good.

The good things are...beach, sun, koalas, cheap pizza, learning to drive before your friends in the UK, being able to work when you're 14, swimming Christmas Day,friends....

The bad things are...leaving people you love (who will come and visit anyway!), no fireworks night....

My kids helped with this, they were just too lazy to type!

It's great here -everything you're used to plus some exciting new things!:cool:

Caroline.

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Aaron & Pryce

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Do you know roughly whereabouts in Oz you might be moving to?

Cheers

Gill

Guest aaron&pryce

my mums partner is hoping for us to go to adelaide or melbourne depending on wether he can find a job in those areas because he fixes trains and this looks central to all the rail routes

i would like to know more about anyone who is already over there on how you felt about

leaving friends and family

new schools

activities after school

school holidays

how you felt and how you feel now

food

shopping

poisonous snakes and insects

clothes styles

:nah:

Hi guys,

My children were 11 and 8 when we moved. They both stayed in the same year of school but my daughter who was in year 7 went back to primary. (We live in WA by the way), like Lazy Cow said she thought it was cool because she's just had a graduation and loved it, much more of a fuss than her old school and the leavers were made to feel very special.

Worst bits: according to my 2 - leaving your friends is the pits and at times they still miss them (when they would have been doing something special), but my daughter said it isn't actually as bad as she imagined it would be and her life didn't come to an end.

Good Bit: They've both made friends really easily and quickly, and been able to carry on with their activities (and more beside)

There will be lots to do after school if you want to and loads of sports teams etc., the summer holidays are now (at xmas) and the children go back to school in Feb.

I don't know too much about fasion, my son is always in shorts and no shoes (unless I insist he puts them on) and my daughter lives in shorts most of the time too.

Good luck with your move

Alison

Guest aaron&pryce

hello this is ian samanthas partner and a father figure to pryce aaron and my son zak

its 10:30pm and the tribe are off to bed

thankyou for talking to pryce for they have had the suprise of me applying for a visa and so i thought it would be good to get them involved right from the start

i am on the railway and have decided to look for a better life for us and the kids

ive never been outside of england and so looking at the map of the rail system it appears that all routes pass through adelaide and melbourne so thats where im starting my research but it is nice for them to have there own opinion of where to live

once again thanks for writing to them and sorry if they bother you

merry christmas from ian sam and the kids

Guest aaron&pryce

the kids have gone to bed but i am ian and my partner is samantha

we are in the early stages of trying out for a visa but i thought it would be a good idea to involve the kids at this early stage and who knows they may find out more about oz than us ive never been out of england so this is a massive task but adelaide or melbourne seem favourite for i work on the railway repairing trains so on the map these areas seem to be central to all routes but is hard to extract relivant sites for this job types but im getting good at time tables haha

Guest aaron&pryce

to Jo, Jerry, Bradley n Max (dog)

as you can tell the kids can work the computer better than me i thought that quick post ment it goes to the person you click on but thats not the case could you tell me more about the stni for like i wrote ive only in the early stages and have found out by the agent that i totalled 135 points so as you can see in the very early stages

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Ian

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

If your Agent is right and you score 135 points, I doubt that you need to consider STNI.

You should be able to go straight for the skilled independent subclass 175 visa instead, which is the Rolls Royce of all visas because it is the only one that comes with absolutely no strings attached. Please see here:

Visa Options – Professionals and other Skilled Migrants – Workers – Visas & Immigration

and

Information Booklets - Applications & Forms - Visas & Immigration

Best wishes

Gill

PA - Why not leave Pryce and the other children with thir own user-name and sign up to the forum with a separate user name for you and your Partner? This would enable you to ask the questions you need to ask without hijacking the children's own enquries and the Younger Ones section is a bit of an unusual spot to find technical questions about visas, my friend!

No doubt one of your children could fix you up with your own user i/d in about 10 seconds flat!:)

Archived