Should we try Sydney?

deelydog

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted after our move to Perth fell through last year, but we may have an opportunity to go to Sydney. Company offering full relocation package for oh, myself and 2 kids....be on a 457 visa so would have to pay for schooling. Accom and car for a month and assistance with settling.Its what we have been waiting for but I was hoping for Perth as I know nothing nor no one in Sydney....should we give it a go?

Why not give it a go. We came here only 5 weeks ago. We were given the relocation package, yes we have to pay for schools and we have 3 kids although one is only 3. We have been lucky enough to get them into a catholic school so fees are not as bad.

When we first started looking at oz I had my heart set on Brisbane or Adeleide but our offer was for Sydney. We are enjoying it do far and if for any reason it dosent work we could always try another state.

Good Luck

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted after our move to Perth fell through last year, but we may have an opportunity to go to Sydney. Company offering full relocation package for oh, myself and 2 kids....be on a 457 visa so would have to pay for schooling. Accom and car for a month and assistance with settling.Its what we have been waiting for but I was hoping for Perth as no nothing nor no one in Sydney....should we give it a go?

I'm still not quite sure what you mean in this phrase? 'Know nothing about Sydney and know nobody there?' I planned my migration around Perth and I did go there but I only stayed for a month before heading east. I love Sydney. I loved Perth too. Four million people versus one million? Something like that. I can't think of any reason why you would not like it in Sydney.

Hi frostie, thx for reply. I think your right, can't give an opportunity like this up, so I will move my research to Sydney. Hope all is going great for you guys. Have you found a place to live? and do you mind me asking how much catholic school fees are?

Maryrose, thank you for your reply, mistyped in original MSG as rushing to get kids to school. Going to do research on sydney and familiarise myself with what looks like a fantastic city......thx for advice.

Maryrose, thank you for your reply, mistyped in original MSG as rushing to get kids to school. Going to do research on sydney and familiarise myself with what looks like a fantastic city......thx for advice.

Check out www.seek.com.au for jobs, www.domain.com.au for houses/flats to buy/rent, start reading www.smh.com.au and, I think, www.dailytelegraph.com.au. Maybe listen to some of the Sydney talkback stations - 2GB, 2UE, 702 (ABC) on line, especially at weekends when they get more into the lifestyle programmes,

Sydney is just home to me and perhaps I gloss over the problems - traffic jams, public transport for instance. It's such a huge, sprawling place - over four million people, and I only live in a small part. I guess I am biased towards inner city living but many people prefer living out in the 'burbs, especially if they want a home with a garden. I know my brother would not move to the inner city! Come to think of it, check out his area - Picnic Point and surrounding suburbs like East Hills/Panania/Revesby/Padstow.

Hi all, it's been a while since I posted after our move to Perth fell through last year, but we may have an opportunity to go to Sydney. Company offering full relocation package for oh, myself and 2 kids....be on a 457 visa so would have to pay for schooling. Accom and car for a month and assistance with settling.Its what we have been waiting for but I was hoping for Perth as no nothing nor no one in Sydney....should we give it a go?

It is a great city. Just make sure you get the right remuneration package especially to cover those school fees, it is a lot more expensive than Perth. The houses are I mean, not day to day stuff..

Rupert....you are so right, we have been doing some calculations to see if we can make it work...as it would be such a shame not to have this experience. Still deciding so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hubby would be working at Sydney airport.....where would be the best affordable place to live?

Rupert....you are so right, we have been doing some calculations to see if we can make it work...as it would be such a shame not to have this experience. Still deciding so any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hubby would be working at Sydney airport.....where would be the best affordable place to live?

Hi our school fees are apporox $5000 for both per year. We found a house within 3 weeks, so far we are enjoying it. It is an amazing experience and will give us a chance to explore this side of the world. I had never even been to oz and moved with 3 kids. So far it's working, still not sure it's forever but am grateful and very glad I took the opportunity.

sydney is excellent .The city is amazing, great beaches and the people are just so friendly.

Hope that helps a bit?

I don't know what you can afford but somewhere along the East Hills/Campbelltown rail line might suit your budget and your husband could PROBABLY get the train to work as there are stations at both Domestic and International terminals. I say 'probably' because he might have to drive to work, not so bad if he is working outside 'normal' commuting hours but unpleasant if he is 9-5.

My brother lives at Picnic Point with easy access to the train line at East Hills/Panania/Revesby and from there it's only about 20 mins to the airport. I like the area where he lives, although 'liking' is subjective. Picnic Point is very leafy and green with some lovely homes, mostly under $1M and the closer you get to Revesby and Panania, there are cheaper ones. Revesby and Panania are both decent shopping centres and Bankstown Centro is not so far away for the full shopping mall experience.

Having said all that, if I was working at the airport, well, I'd like to stay right where I am in Surry Hills, 5 mins walk to Central Station, but the inner city is not for everyone. Somehwhere between the airport and Maroubra beach might suit too - Botany, Mascot, Matravile, Maroubra, Kingsford.

It all depends upon what you can afford and/or what you want - close to the beach, close to work, close to the city, etc.

Thanks maryrose....loads of information....really appreciate it. Well hubby now has job offer so it's getting real. We have been here 12 months ago and everything fell through, but this time it feels like it may really happen. Company want us there for 15th sept...so it's panic stations as hubby working in Tunisia for whole of August. Which gives us 6weeks to get our house rented out....the rest is being organised by the new company. Nerves are setting in...but I know we need to do this....don't want to leave my sis or dad....but I also want this family adventure....scared and excited.....is this normal?

Thanks frostie. Those school fees are affordable....and your right great opportunity to see that side of the world. Hubby now has offer in writing so think we are just going to go ahead and have a go. Worried bout my 8yr old settling. How old are your kiddies?

We lived in menai in the Sutherland shire, children went catholic schools in Engadine which were excellent. The shie is close to some great beaches in the National Park and there is Cronulla. The south coast also has some great beaches.

Thanks frostie. Those school fees are affordable....and your right great opportunity to see that side of the world. Hubby now has offer in writing so think we are just going to go ahead and have a go. Worried bout my 8yr old settling. How old are your kiddies?

Our 8 year old (well 8 next week) has settled really well from day one. She cried for weeks before coming and has spent lots of time skypeing friends. But now she has friends here the need for contact with her old ones is a lot less. She still misses the uk but loves all the opportunities that are available to her here. She is an animal lover do is enjoying the wildlife parks.

our 10 yr old was more confident when coming over, said he will miss everyone just a little but, day before school it hit him how much he missed the uk. After a good cry and chat plus a week at school he to has settled really well, says his friends are great and his school is excellent.

So far the kids have settled a lot better than we thought... I worried all the time about them and really didn't need to. I had no worries about my 3 yr old and infant she is the one missing home more than anyone!

We are making the most of it, been up the central coast, northern beaches, Sutherland shire, blue mountains and in the city.

sunday we are of to the light festival in Sydney which looks amazing and bank holiday Monday we are of to the Olympic park, it's winter and 18deg !

Mandy

Our 8 year old (well 8 next week) has settled really well from day one. She cried for weeks before coming and has spent lots of time skypeing friends. But now she has friends here the need for contact with her old ones is a lot less. She still misses the uk but loves all the opportunities that are available to her here. She is an animal lover do is enjoying the wildlife parks.

our 10 yr old was more confident when coming over, said he will miss everyone just a little but, day before school it hit him how much he missed the uk. After a good cry and chat plus a week at school he to has settled really well, says his friends are great and his school is excellent.

So far the kids have settled a lot better than we thought... I worried all the time about them and really didn't need to. I had no worries about my 3 yr old and infant she is the one missing home more than anyone!

We are making the most of it, been up the central coast, northern beaches, Sutherland shire, blue mountains and in the city.

sunday we are of to the light festival in Sydney which looks amazing and bank holiday Monday we are of to the Olympic park, it's winter and 18deg !

Mandy

This is just the kind of thing I need to read right now.....thank you so much. It's great to hear others stories....then you realise some are quite similar.

I have received some positive email responses from schools, but my worry is that we won't get into a catholic school as we are not catholic......so looks like a large school bill for the next few years.

enjoy your weekend and the warm winters days as we are in the height of summer.....and it's whiz zing down with rain (we are in MAnchester tho)

Thanks again for info and if you wouldn't mind I may pick your brains again before we get out there.

We lived in menai in the Sutherland shire, children went catholic schools in Engadine which were excellent. The shie is close to some great beaches in the National Park and there is Cronulla. The south coast also has some great beaches.

Thanks for this. Will take a look at these areas. Catholic schools look like a great option....but we arent Catholic so I don't think they will accept us. Big school fees ahead I think....but I am sure it will be worth the adventure.

Thx again

Typical Sydney winter days now, C.O.L.D.! at night and early morning but by lunchtime it's warm in the sun. I went out to Penrith yesterday on the train and it was lovely there. I got a Blue Mts train back to Central and that was much better than the regular service, two stops only, Parramatta and Strathfield, nicer trains too. I quite like Penrith actually and homes still seem quite reasonable - available for under $300,000 anyway. I always seem to hear a few Pommie accents out there too, spoke to a bloke from Swindon in a pie shop. - Lovely pie for lunch too. The sausages might be awful but the pies are fine! I like that main street too - reminds me of some English shopping streets. I had an OJ in The Australian Arms Hotel, full of 'tradies' in their high viz orange and yellow shirts or company uniforms. I like the way you can see the Blue Mts rising up from over the Neapean River.

I've got a job out there but I'll be commuting in the opposite direction to most people and out of the rush hour. I imagine you could get to the airport OK via the motorways outside of the rush hour when the M5 is a mini M25. By train? well, about an hour to Central on the normal train, then 20 mins or so down to the Airport. OK if you can walk to the station at Penrith but a hassle if you have to bus it or drive. But I hate commuting!

Typical Sydney winter days now, C.O.L.D.! at night and early morning but by lunchtime it's warm in the sun. I went out to Penrith yesterday on the train and it was lovely there. I got a Blue Mts train back to Central and that was much better than the regular service, two stops only, Parramatta and Strathfield, nicer trains too. I quite like Penrith actually and homes still seem quite reasonable - available for under $300,000 anyway. I always seem to hear a few Pommie accents out there too, spoke to a bloke from Swindon in a pie shop. - Lovely pie for lunch too. The sausages might be awful but the pies are fine! I like that main street too - reminds me of some English shopping streets. I had an OJ in The Australian Arms Hotel, full of 'tradies' in their high viz orange and yellow shirts or company uniforms. I like the way you can see the Blue Mts rising up from over the Neapean River.

I've got a job out there but I'll be commuting in the opposite direction to most people and out of the rush hour. I imagine you could get to the airport OK via the motorways outside of the rush hour when the M5 is a mini M25. By train? well, about an hour to Central on the normal train, then 20 mins or so down to the Airport. OK if you can walk to the station at Penrith but a hassle if you have to bus it or drive. But I hate commuting!

This all sounds fabulous....

This all sounds fabulous....

I was down at The Rocks last night and the crowds around Circular Quay and The Rocks were worst than New Year's Eve, possibly even worse than the Royal Easter Show (which I never go to.) They were all there to watch the 'VIVID' light show, which is not bad but I'd already seen it the night before and earlier in the week. There is nothing worse than a crowd when you are in a hurry!

I bought two steins of Lowenbrau in the Bierkeller on Argyle St and got $5.05 change from $50. Barman put the change in a saucer too! No way was I going to leave even the five cents! A litre of beer? Looking back with the benefit of both hangover and hindsight, I probably did get my money's worth.

It rained later on though and it's overcast today. I just poked my head out on the balcony and the air feels mild.

Archived