Beer

beatnik

As a lover of English ale, I am profoundly disappointed at the lack of decent beer here in Australia. I live on the Gold Coast and have had no joy yet finding anything comparable to English ale. Can anyone recommend any Aussie brands that taste similar?

And barring the television, everything else is good :wink:

Guest Ptp113
As a lover of English ale, I am profoundly disappointed at the lack of decent beer here in Australia. I live on the Gold Coast and have had no joy yet finding anything comparable to English ale. Can anyone recommend any Aussie brands that taste similar?

Go looking for micro breweries or brewpubs. There is one here but a bit of a drive. But seriously who wants to drink warm beer on the Gold Coast??

OK, I will have a look for some microbreweries and see if I can find some decent stuff to drink. A nice warm pint of beer will go down nicely anywhere! (especially now as its getting cooler here...)

When i got out there for the first time I had the same issue, I was in Perth so was lucky to have Little Creatures down the road, their ales i find are lovely, also found Coopers ales were very good. I hope you find your tipple.

I hear you!, try

kosciusko pale ale

little creatures

at a pinch coopers is not bad (the one with the green label)

or if you are canberra way (like me) go to the wig and pen, a micro brewery that serves the best ale this side of the equator , attractively priced at $8.80 a pint :)

I hear tell that home brew is the way forward so try

http://www.ubrewit.com.au/qld-nerang

Cheers

Mr Family Anderson

Guest RichB

Iam an ale drinker and I can tell you there is nothing in Australia that compares to english ales..Ive tried them all little creatures etc...Coopers is not a real ale as we know them in the UK, it is your typical Ozzie beer,full of chemicals that gives you a nasty hangover, like most of them..Im back in the UK for a month and spending as much time as I can in the local wetherspoons pubs, savouring all the beautiful ales they have here for 2 pounds a pint, as opposed to 8 dollars plus in australia for a pint of dishwater..Think its time they opened some Wetherspoons in oz..

Guest Ptp113
Iam an ale drinker and I can tell you there is nothing in Australia that compares to english ales..Ive tried them all little creatures etc...Coopers is not a real ale as we know them in the UK, it is your typical Ozzie beer,full of chemicals that gives you a nasty hangover, like most of them..Im back in the UK for a month and spending as much time as I can in the local wetherspoons pubs, savouring all the beautiful ales they have here for 2 pounds a pint, as opposed to 8 dollars plus in australia for a pint of dishwater..Think its time they opened some Wetherspoons in oz..

Totally false. Get out a bit more when you get back

Here's one to try, almost in your & my backyard - http://www.mtbeer.com/

There's a couple of pubs in Sydney where they brew their own beer, maybe others of course. The Lord Nelson in The Rocks - no schooners either, just pints and halves. There's another pub on Wentworth Ave, can't think of the name, used to be Macquarie Hotel perhaps and now it's name after the brewery - German sounding name? There's another pub on the corner of Flinders and Dowling Sts, just called 'The Local' I think, which has a variety of 'boutique beers' and no mainstream ones.

Too be honest, I've gone back to drinking Tooheys New. If I drink too much it does not matter what I drink, I still get a hangover.

Guest RichB

If I drink too much it does not matter what I drink, I still get a hangover. My point exactly..Australian beer is like chemically enhanced dishwater..Most of their beers are fizzy..English ale is not. There is a big difference.

Now old Speckled hen..lovely stuff, that is a real ale..Tooheys is not a real ale as we know it in England. I dont get a hangover ever from drinking English ale all night. There are a couple of micro breweries here in tassie,

where the over priced ales taste okay, but nothing compared to what comes out of Old Blighty..

Guest Ptp113
If I drink too much it does not matter what I drink, I still get a hangover. My point exactly..Australian beer is like chemically enhanced dishwater..Most of their beers are fizzy..English ale is not. There is a big difference.

Now old Speckled hen..lovely stuff, that is a real ale..Tooheys is not a real ale as we know it in England. I dont get a hangover ever from drinking English ale all night. There are a couple of micro breweries here in tassie,

where the over priced ales taste okay, but nothing compared to what comes out of Old Blighty..

Go to the Wig & Pen for example and you'll quickly realise the above is false. There are probably other micro breweries around the country doing similar stuff, but maybe not as good

Archived