Sevenseas v PSS v Excess Baggage

jamjar

I think SevenSeas come out very well with regards to just shipping a few boxes or excess baggage stuff (not in suitcases). Cheaper also from what I have read (at least compared to some shipping companies).

Hi

I used PSS - no problems with them at all. Good delivery when my 3 boxes received in Sydney. I paid insurance. Delivery time was more or less as stated. I did chase up the company dealing at the Australia end and it was all good.

I'm a little anal with paperwork so I listed everything and sent a copy of the list with my paperwork.

Hope this helps.

BEGal

Guest bluecob99

Hi

We're shipping boxes and have had quotes from Seven Seas and PSS. Seven Seas were cheaper and a better option for us as PSS put a limit on weight which meant that more than 18 boxes, we would need to share a container.

I have since paid a deposit and received boxes, wrap, tape and markers from Seven Seas. I've asked them questions galore - they have been more than helpful each time and very professional. Delivery was on time and well packaged.

Hope this helps.

Guest Mattt

Excess Baggage ripped me off when I shipped some boxes before.

Gave me a quote of X/kg for 3 boxes, but when I shipped only 2 boxes they charged me the same total price.

Guest The Pom Queen
Hi

We are shipping about 10 boxes. Any success or horror stories on these 3 companies.

Thanks

Please remember we do not allow name and shame, however, you are allowed to put something simple like "I used xxx and wouldn't use them again"

Another vote for Seven Seas.

Airfreighted a tea chest box after my main stuff had gone (with John Mason) and they were good - best price, decent packing materials and instructions, clear communication, collection on time, was able to ask them not to ship it until my chosen date so I'd be in Melbourne to receive it, prompt delivery and everything intact.

I insured through Letton Percival rather than taking their insurance as was far better cover. There is however a minimum £54 charge (about £3k of cover), so it depends on what you're shipping whether it's worth it.

Hi

We're shipping boxes and have had quotes from Seven Seas and PSS. Seven Seas were cheaper and a better option for us as PSS put a limit on weight which meant that more than 18 boxes, we would need to share a container.

I have since paid a deposit and received boxes, wrap, tape and markers from Seven Seas. I've asked them questions galore - they have been more than helpful each time and very professional. Delivery was on time and well packaged.

Hope this helps.

Yes it does, thank you

Guest MishunImp

Just had 10 boxes shipped by Seven Seas & 3 bags freighted by Jetta from heathrow.

Seven Seas were very efficient, plenty of packaging materials, collection was on time, final invoice issued next day. Cost seemed reasonable but I wasn't able to insure for damage because I packed the boxes myself - this was the case with all insurance I looked into. Seven Seas quoted 10-12 weeks & I followed up at the beginning of this week (they have an online tracking system but apparently they're having problems with it as I haven't been able to log in since April) & was told my shipment was due in Australia 11/6. I thought I had plenty of time to change the delivery address (which you can only do up to the point that the shipment arrives in the country) but got an email 2 days later to say I had duty to pay on the goods that had been assessed by customs. So too late to change delivery address. That aside, i would recommend Seven Seas for that kind of job.

The three bags sent with Jetta cost as much as the 10 boxes with Seven Seas - I had them stored for two weeks (one week free/one week £15) as I didn't want them arriving before I did (holiday on the way over).

Would suggest you send as little as possible as excess baggage (we literally just sent the last few bits & pieces that we couldn't do without right up until we left) as it's a very expensive way to get stuff over.

Just had 10 boxes shipped by Seven Seas & 3 bags freighted by Jetta from heathrow.

Seven Seas were very efficient, plenty of packaging materials, collection was on time, final invoice issued next day. Cost seemed reasonable but I wasn't able to insure for damage because I packed the boxes myself - this was the case with all insurance I looked into. Seven Seas quoted 10-12 weeks & I followed up at the beginning of this week (they have an online tracking system but apparently they're having problems with it as I haven't been able to log in since April) & was told my shipment was due in Australia 11/6. I thought I had plenty of time to change the delivery address (which you can only do up to the point that the shipment arrives in the country) but got an email 2 days later to say I had duty to pay on the goods that had been assessed by customs. So too late to change delivery address. That aside, i would recommend Seven Seas for that kind of job.

The three bags sent with Jetta cost as much as the 10 boxes with Seven Seas - I had them stored for two weeks (one week free/one week £15) as I didn't want them arriving before I did (holiday on the way over).

Would suggest you send as little as possible as excess baggage (we literally just sent the last few bits & pieces that we couldn't do without right up until we left) as it's a very expensive way to get stuff over.

Thanks for the info.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you have to pay duty?

Guest MishunImp
Thanks for the info.

If you dont mind me asking, why did you have to pay duty?

I had owned those things for less than 12 months & under the personal import regulations those items have to be declared & they are then assessed for any duty &/or GST payable. Most people bring stuff in that they have owned for longer when they arrive but because I had only been back in the UK for 6 months & clearly hadn't taken that stuff over with me in the first place (might have gotten away with it but there was always the chance that they could have checked whether the items were available retail in Oz in the previous 18 months etc & there was absolutely no way round it with the tv).

I imagine it was a case of assess the purchase price, take off a bit for them being 6 months old etc etc. It does depend what you're shipping but I just decided it wasn't worth the penalties trying to fudge for those things.

Hey I move on tuesday have already shipped furniture but I seem to have excess baggage now oops, I literally have a small suitcase (carry on trolley) size that weighs under 10kg i would think, i dont have a suitcase for it so would need to buy one and then buy another bag for my flights but i thought about posting it in a box just through royal mail?? just seems a ridiculously small amount

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was hoping someone here could help me. I booked the removal of 11 boxes with Seven Seas one week ago and paid the deposit the same day.

I have requested the boxes and wrapping material to be delivered on the 16th and have also requested a collection and delivery date online.

Unfortunately I haven't heard anything since (not even a confirmation that my order has been received) and I always get error messages when I try to look at my order online.

I will give them a call tomorrow if I don't here from them until then but I was wondering if any of you had similar experiences?

Guest MishunImp

I believe their online system is having problems. After my boxes were collected I wasn't ever able to log in again (not even to change delivery address so be aware of this) so had to contact them by phone &/or email when I needed to.

Having said that they were always prompt to reply & my boxes arrived this week with almost no visible sign of the journey they've been through. My tv works (so relieved ) & I haven't found anything so far (yet to unpack completely) that has been broken or damaged - I packed everything myself btw.

Suggest you give them a call to follow up.

I believe their online system is having problems. After my boxes were collected I wasn't ever able to log in again (not even to change delivery address so be aware of this) so had to contact them by phone &/or email when I needed to.

Having said that they were always prompt to reply & my boxes arrived this week with almost no visible sign of the journey they've been through. My tv works (so relieved ) & I haven't found anything so far (yet to unpack completely) that has been broken or damaged - I packed everything myself btw.

Suggest you give them a call to follow up.

Were you able to change the address in the end?

Guest MishunImp

Was able to do it when I called to arrange delivery (even though I think it states you can't change address once the shipment has landed in oz). It was only a couple of suburbs along so they just delivered to the new address, no charge.

Thanks MishunImp just called them and turns out everything is on track as requested.

The person on the phone was really friendly and very helpful and also explained the collection process in a bit more detail. Thumbs up to Seven Seas from me!

So let's hope the packaging material arrives on Saturday as promised so we can start packing :biggrin:

Archived