Getting to know the indigenous wildlife...

Dansi

Hi all,

Now I know there has been a few posts on here about the wildlife found in and around the house and indeed Australia. Spiders, snakes, birds, beetles, bugs etc etc....:animal-bat:

I was hoping to get some recommendations of good literature to educate my little one of what is what and how best to find/avoid them.

Something with good pictures and descriptions of the potential dangers lurking in the gardens, but also of animals that can be found out and about that are a little less harmful..

Anyway all responses are greatly appreciated

Regards

Simon.

I've never had any nasty experiences with anything here. Generally if you leave things alone they leave you alone.

The only creatures I have a relationship with are possums. Australians seem to hate possums and regard them as a pest.

I have found them to be friendly, intelligent animals - they soon work out if you are a kind person that can be trusted.

Mother possums with babies on back and in pouch visit every night and allow us to hand-feed them and their babies.

Guest AKA63029

Hi Dansi.

This has been discussed fairly often on PIO, and personally I love this sort of thread.

If you do a quick search you will find loads of threads.

But in all honesty Australia wouldn't be the same without its wildlife.

Furry, scaly, fishy, friendly, dangerous, all have there place and hopefully you will embrace the wildlife like many have, I hate the word Awesome, but in terms of the wildlife in OZ, it is Awesome.:yes:

Guest guest36187

Best thing I did when arriving was go buy a wildlife book for my Brisbane area. I figured, Im bound to see something, least I can do is arm myself as to what it is!! lol!

Hi Simon,

Depends a bit on where you are heading. In Sydney, the only real worry are funnel-webs and you do generally have to go rooting around to find them. The last one I saw was drowning in the hole of the 3rd green at Windsor in 1998. The important thing is to teach your little one not to go poking fingers around in holes, and touching/grabbing things where they can't see where they are putting their hands, i.e. use a stick or a booted foot to turn stuff over with.

There are loads of useful websites with pictures, and remember, its the females that generally get you in to trouble...

We arrive on the Sunshine coast in 3 weeks and I am personally looking forward to seeing the wildlife...the good..the bad..and the downright ugly:animal-bat::animal-frog: It's all part of the adventure. :biggrin:

We arrive on the Sunshine coast in 3 weeks and I am personally looking forward to seeing the wildlife...the good..the bad..and the downright ugly:animal-bat::animal-frog: It's all part of the adventure. :biggrin:

Plenty of ugly uns. They tend to congregate around the watering holes and can be seen aiding each other at around 3am whilst foraging for food. They have a high pitched noise and are usually in a spot of bother when they return to the nest.

Not a problem in 45 years. I don't understand why poms even bring it up to be honest.

As I have an 8 year old who likes to potter in the garden!!!! I would be researching this no matter where I was moving....

Hi Dansi.

This has been discussed fairly often on PIO, and personally I love this sort of thread.

If you do a quick search you will find loads of threads.

But in all honesty Australia wouldn't be the same without its wildlife.

Furry, scaly, fishy, friendly, dangerous, all have there place and hopefully you will embrace the wildlife like many have, I hate the word Awesome, but in terms of the wildlife in OZ, it is Awesome.:yes:

Absolutely, it's one of the things that I look forward to hehe.

I had a look around but haven't really seen anyone mention a child friendly book, just thought I would ask the all wise cast of PIO as I'm sure someone else has a young child that loves wildlife as much as mine does....

Hi Simon,

Depends a bit on where you are heading. In Sydney, the only real worry are funnel-webs and you do generally have to go rooting around to find them. The last one I saw was drowning in the hole of the 3rd green at Windsor in 1998. The important thing is to teach your little one not to go poking fingers around in holes, and touching/grabbing things where they can't see where they are putting their hands, i.e. use a stick or a booted foot to turn stuff over with.

There are loads of useful websites with pictures, and remember, its the females that generally get you in to trouble...

Looks like we will be heading to Toowoomba, so I will be looking for literature for the area. As for you last comment......isn't that always the case ....... (cue abuse)

Where are you going?

We bought a book for my son on the wildlife in the Greater Brisbane region. He loves it and every time he sees a skink or spider he wants to read all about it.

What book was that Alaska? I'll only be an hour or so inland from you so would be interesting to have a look at that one..

Guest sadiesmum

I do worry about my 3 year old picking spiders etc up, she has no fear whatsoever and I have to keep my eye out for her trying to make friends with bees god knows what I will do if she spots a red back!

In all seriousness do youngsters formally learn the dos and donts when it comes to creepy crawlies etc?

Mate, when you get to Toowoomba, take the tribe to Redwood Park. It has some amazing wildlife, especially rainforest birds.

http://www.eremaea.com/SiteSpeciesList.aspx?Site=27950&From=19900106&To=20100106&MonthStart=1&MonthEnd=12

And especially the regent bowerbird.

http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/species/Sericulus-chrysocephalus

Cheers, Bobj.

your a star bobj, will check this out when the tribe gets into country....

Guest RichB

Never mind the hire car, did you stop to see if the roo was dead, injured or did you just drive off and leave the poor thing to suffer like most people do..

Guest scrumpy

Roo was stunned, authorities were soon on the scene and all sorted pretty quick, that OK? what else was I ment to do???

Archived