role reversal

wright4

I currently work part time in the UK, but as the main sponsor for our visa I will be working full time in oz. My husband will have to look for work when we arrive but this will probably be part time due to childcare.

Now don't get me wrong, he is quite domesticated and will do certain household chores, like washing the dishes whilst 'singing' to bryan adams on his ipod :goofy:or hoovering freddie mercury style :huh:. In fact he always makes the bait for our lunches :biggrin:.

My worry is while I'm slogging my guts out working more hours, he'll be making the most of his free time and new lifestyle by playing golf etc. (Jealous :yes:)

How have others found they've adjusted to their new roles?

I currently work part time in the UK, but as the main sponsor for our visa I will be working full time in oz. My husband will have to look for work when we arrive but this will probably be part time due to childcare.

Now don't get me wrong, he is quite domesticated and will do certain household chores, like washing the dishes whilst 'singing' to bryan adams on his ipod :goofy:or hoovering freddie mercury style :huh:. In fact he always makes the bait for our lunches :biggrin:.

My worry is while I'm slogging my guts out working more hours, he'll be making the most of his free time and new lifestyle by playing golf etc. (Jealous :yes:)

How have others found they've adjusted to their new roles?

I assume you mean you are the main applicant not the main sponsor for your visa? You can't sponosr your own visa.

What visa is it? Being the main applicant of the skilled migrant visa doesn't mean you have to be the chief earner. If you mean you are the main applicant on a 457 visa then yes of course you will need to do the full time hours.

Guest Guest66881

Deb was our main sponsor, and i do all the house work except washing up, hoovering and the kid walk to school, i have no time what with all the soaking in the pool and then beach walking and generally lounging about:biggrin:

I keep asking Deb to get in a cleaner to help out.

I assume you mean you are the main applicant not the main sponsor for your visa? You can't sponosr your own visa.

What visa is it? Being the main applicant of the skilled migrant visa doesn't mean you have to be the chief earner. If you mean you are the main applicant on a 457 visa then yes of course you will need to do the full time hours.

Please forgive me, I am the main applicant for the 457 visa. I didn't feel the need to explain the details of my visa as its a light hearted look at changes of circumstances in oz.

Guest guest36187

My husband came home tonight all cranky......when I got to the bottom of it, he hated getting up and going to work when I was at home all day!

I have been studying for months and today and next sunday I dont have any to do. It killed him that I sat around doing nothing all day!!! lol!

Deb was our main sponsor, and i do all the house work except washing up, hoovering and the kid walk to school, i have no time what with all the soaking in the pool and then beach walking and generally lounging about:biggrin:

I keep asking Deb to get in a cleaner to help out.

My point exactly lol. Maybe I could have a drink with Deb while my OH cleans your pool :laugh:

My oh will be daddy daycare now we have arrived. Having spent the last 4 weeks holidaying with the kids I am looking forward to working :-)

Holidaying and kids don't always go together! Bet your OH will want to swop places with you before long ha.

Haven't worked since I arrived in Oz 17 yrs ago, with a 2yr old and 6month old. Spent 12 of those years looking after them and also a house full of foster kids. My kids are grown up now with one working and one in his last year at school and we no longer foster. I was just beginning to get bored when my foster daughter presented us with one son and a year later another......................no more boredom as I look after them twice a week now which knocks me back a bit on my other household chores such as fishkeeping and fishing:biglaugh:.

The missus has always done the ironing as it takes her half an hour to do what I would take all day to do. Other than that, I do all the cooking, shopping, money management (her money) :biggrin: and the odd bits around the house...........I only dust it if you can write your name in it :biglaugh: She insists on mowing the lawn and gardening and I'm sure the neighbours just think that I'm a bludger and she has a hard time of it :embarrassed:......... "Why doesn't that lazy barsteward mow his lown instead of him making his wife do it?" :rolleyes:

Please forgive me, I am the main applicant for the 457 visa. I didn't feel the need to explain the details of my visa as its a light hearted look at changes of circumstances in oz.

Do you know what, I asked what visa it is because I have seen many times the main applicant of the skilled migrant visa thinking they had to work full time because they were the main applicant, when of course they don't at all ... I was trying to help. But forgive me, I won't bother again, let's see if there is an ignore function I can use so I won't trouble you again. Oh goody there it is.

Archived