Bring spices to OZ?

sharron pickett

We had quite a few email exchanges from AQIS re this very subject, as far as I am aware yes you can, but in the end we just decided not to bring any food stuffs ........ saying that though two rogue tins of tomatoes got in :wink:

Email them I have pasted their email address and please ask them to answer specifically and not in jargon as they are pests for that.

Cinnamon if memory serves me right is a no, no.

I think it is spices of raw form, that they are bothered with I.e, bay leaves, tea leaves, anything that can have organism´s growing lurking in it ....

Good luck ............. http://www.daff.gov.au/

Your welcome!

I got into a right pickle with what to bring and what not to bring, on the day the shippers arrived, I had a box full of dried food goods and tins ..... had filled in a declaration sheet, then posted on the forum and some members who had done the trip advised me to leave them, so I gave them to the removal guy´s.

I now wish though that I had of brought the box with me, and think it would have been OK, but I aired on the very cautious side.

Incidentally you can buy spices here and they are not too expensive, we got some in Dimmy´s I think they were 69 c a packet, or 4 for a $ or something like that, Coles sell them too, but with everything else here it pays to shop around.

Hi, Can anyone advise if we can bring cooking spices into Oz on our container? Thanks Sharron

We ended up getting rid of all our store cupboard / pantry staples like spices. Was gutted as we cook a lot from scratch so had a real collection. Decided not to risk it though, didn't want to do anything that might result in inspection.

We ended up getting rid of all our store cupboard / pantry staples like spices. Was gutted as we cook a lot from scratch so had a real collection. Decided not to risk it though, didn't want to do anything that might result in inspection.

Same here, we didn´t want to risk an inspection either, they charge to inspect & to destroy.

We paid $75 for them to destroy a rogue Christrmas tree decoration ...............

We had a very knowledgable person from John Mason who told us "No" as it wasn't worth the risk.

He knew about everything including that our sheepskins would be fine (everyone else said we couldn't take them) and he was spot on with everything.

The same. Very irritating as replacing all the spices, baking ingredients, and other "occasional" use items we had in our store cupboard probably cost upwards of $1000. I didn't work it all out, didn't want to

Archived