457 then permanent

Ok guys, quick canvass of thoughts. We were going to apply for PR but tbh with the visa fees ,migration agent fees etc itll be close to 5k once we are done. Weve got just less than that in the bank right now and could probably save a few k more before we needed to go but again we need that for shipping,flights and all the rest.

So the point im trying to make is are we better off looking at getting sponsored on a 457 and once we are settled in Oz look at applying for PR especially as we may find that it wasnt the right move etc?

Thiings that concern me are would an employer look disfavourably on me (michelles a nurse) re getting a decent job ( im a purchasing/fm project manager). Is there massive restrictions on a 457 once we are in OZ?

Sorry if this question has been asked before just starting to do the math and reckon itll take us around 3 years of saving and not doing anything to get a decent some money together etc.

When Hubs was offered a 457 contract it meant nothing to me so i thought i best look it up. All very negative stuff. As a temp visa holder apparently you couldnt get this or that. ie medicare,mortgage etc. WTF dont want to go now.Delve deeper though and on here plus other places you will find people that have gone out on said visa and got the above. Dont know about schooling though if you have little ones,i havnt so not looked into it but it looks like you may have to pay for it. A lot has been said about LAFHA (living away from home allowance) which i belive give you extra money, but imnot sure who qualifies for that anymore (given up trying to understand it). Can only speak for hubs employer, but once over there we can apply for PR and although they dont pay for it as such they will do but just take a bit out of his wages every month to help spread the cost. A poster not that that long ago to me summed up the 457 visa by saying its a easy n cheap way to get to Oz. Good luck with it all:biggrin:

but imnot sure who qualifies for that anymore

From what you have posted: Under the upcoming new rules, you would not qualify LAFHA.

May I suggest you take advice about salary deductions for the purpose of migration assistance?

The best way to explain it is a 457 is very like a work permit similar to the type Romanians and Bulgarians use to work in the UK
Romania and Bulgaria are EU member states - citizens of these countries don't require a permit to work in the UK.

Guest guest36187

On a 457...you can get Medicare, although you do need private insurance first of all. You can get a mortgage, you can buy a house.

Wen you get sponsored for pr by your employer it will cost you. The visa when I did it about four years ago was $2900 then! Then you need new medicals and checks etc.......much better to get PR now.

Plus if you come out on 457 and don't like where you are working......you need to get responded in order to stay in oz

Ok guys, quick canvass of thoughts. We were going to apply for PR but tbh with the visa fees ,migration agent fees etc itll be close to 5k once we are done. Weve got just less than that in the bank right now and could probably save a few k more before we needed to go but again we need that for shipping,flights and all the rest.

So the point im trying to make is are we better off looking at getting sponsored on a 457 and once we are settled in Oz look at applying for PR especially as we may find that it wasnt the right move etc?

Thiings that concern me are would an employer look disfavourably on me (michelles a nurse) re getting a decent job ( im a purchasing/fm project manager). Is there massive restrictions on a 457 once we are in OZ?

Sorry if this question has been asked before just starting to do the math and reckon itll take us around 3 years of saving and not doing anything to get a decent some money together etc.

It is not the route I would commonly advocate but it sounds like it is a reasonable option for you and as one of you is a nurse there is a good chance of getting a PR visa in due course. Why not? Do you have children? Having PR straight off might be more important if children are in the picture.

Archived