Nurse and Aircraft Engineer at stage one.....advice would be so nice!x

emandcraig

Family of 5 wanting to move to Oz....we are at stage 1........the very start will no clue ....!!

I am a Nurse and husband is in the RAF, he is an Aircraft Engineer (Mechanical) - we have 3 children...12, 7 and 5

Where to start?

I had an email from the Visa Bureau and some attatchment but I just looked blank at the screen ....

Have been told to get an agent...get sponsored by state...by employer ??

:confused:

Anyone willing to give us some advice on the best route would be super amazing..

Anyone who is also a Nurse or leaving the RAF to jet off to Oz....?

Have been looking through the threads and I am sure these questions have been answered somewhere so apologies if you are repeating the info..

Thank you so very much!! x

Emma and Craig....and kids (who can not wait to move to Oz)!!

Family of 5 wanting to move to Oz....we are at stage 1........the very start will no clue ....!!

I am a Nurse and husband is in the RAF, he is an Aircraft Engineer (Mechanical) - we have 3 children...12, 7 and 5

Where to start?

I had an email from the Visa Bureau and some attatchment but I just looked blank at the screen ....

Have been told to get an agent...get sponsored by state...by employer ??

:confused:

Anyone willing to give us some advice on the best route would be super amazing..

Anyone who is also a Nurse or leaving the RAF to jet off to Oz....?

Have been looking through the threads and I am sure these questions have been answered somewhere so apologies if you are repeating the info..

Thank you so very much!! x

Emma and Craig....and kids (who can not wait to move to Oz)!!

You don't need to use an agent, they can cost a lot of extra money, unless there are complicated issues as the process is straight forward if you research it first.

As a nurse you are probably the best candidate for the visa. Your options are sponsored or independent visas. DIAC is the place to look to see if you are eligible for independent visas which are worked out on a points system. http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/points-test.htm

Visas are to change in July to skill select so check that out too. If you are going for skilled independent then a nursing skills test with ANMAC with an IELTS of more than 7 (8 will give you 20 points but you need 7 for skills test) is your first requirement.

If you want a sponsored visa then APHRA (Oz NMC) registration is first.

Please ask away and there are lots who will help. Welcome to PIO :biggrin:

Guest melanie79

hi & welcome to pio! im a nurse too (m.h 10years), 1st thing to do is what gilraenH says and look on www.immi.gov.au to look at what kind of visas. there is a section for nurses and doctors. have a look at the 175 independent and the 176 state sponsored aswell as any other options.also read the skillselect bit as immigration requirement is changing in july. 2 options then you can choose from: either you need to get registered as a nurse with aphra (australias nursing board) start doing that now (need certified copies of nurse training,transcripts, nmc verification etc & can take ages so start as soon as. then apply to anmac for modified skills assessment. they are the nursing skills assessment authority whuch is different then aphra. i did it this way.

the other way is to get your skills assessed with anmac 1st (it will be a full assessment, NOT modified) then apply for registration with aphra.

i took the modified assessment route (not full assessment) with anmac because i was already registered with aphra as a nurse. i was nursing in australia back in 2004 and kept my registration up to date. the pros of doing it this way: modified assessment is cheaper (300dollars i think) then full assessment (850 dollars) and you have to register with aphra anyway, so why not keep costs down! also because i have the modified assessment then i didnt need to sit the ielts exam (185 euro) for anmac. anyone who does the full assessment with anmac has to sit the academic ielts!

when you have a look at www.immi.gov.au work out how many points you have. currently you have to have 65 points. i thought i would easily have that but i didnt. i only had 55 points so i sat the ielts (last saturday) to hopefully give me the extra 10 points i need for the visa. even though i dont require it for my skills assessment like some nurses might.

current processing times for anmac is 14 weeks. i was hoping to have mine assessed before july when it changes to skillselect. skillselect is where anyone who wants a visa has to do whats known as an expression of interest. basically your telling them you want to come to australia. the government then decides if they are going to invite you. only if you get this invite, then you can apply for a visa. so loads of people (myself included!) are worried they wont get selected. they will select people with the most points i believe too, so 65points to me is only just in. thats why there are long delays with aphra and anmac processing times. everyone is on a mad rush to get their visas in before 1st july!

i rang anmac there. my modified skills assessment went in beginning of april. they told me that they are only just now processing februarys batch. anyone with their reference numbers handy they are up to 42400's im 42800's, i asked if he thought there was any chance mine would be processed before july and he said he didnt to be honest. so thats thrown a spanner in the works now. it looks like i will have to do an expression of interest, and hope im one of the lucky ones to be selected.

so before you can apply for a visa you have to be skills assessed and have your australia nursing registration. i heard of one guy who applied for his visa without having the requirements first and he lost his £2000 visa application fee. its non refundable, so make sure you have everything 1st!!!

with regards to an agent, well they can work out very expensive. im doing it myself. this forum is great for advice and the best advice i can give you is that this is going to be a slow process and a costly one. have look again for visa costs and because you have a family you will have to pay the 2nd installment. add on the cost of being skills assessed, aphra registration, medicals etc it will add up. but it will all be worth it i believe. i started looking into emigrating seriously about 6 months ago and its only now im beginning to understand the process but ive been doing a lot of research into it, looking on the anmac website, www.immi.gov.au website, on here as well. so thats the best advice i can give you is to keep researching it, to see what you need. i have been told that the aphra and the anmac process is the worst bit though and after that it gets better! i hope thats true when skillselect comes in. best of luck and if you want to ask anymore questions feel free!

mel x

Hi Emma and Craig and family - welcome to POI :smile:

Lots of good info for you already.

Definitely look into what visas you are eligible for by looking at the DIAC site at www.immi.gov.au and also read about the changes due on July 1st. The DIAC also has a wealth of other information that will help you with your migration planning.

To nurse in Australia, whichever visa type you go for, you will need to be registered with AHPRA - this is a good place to find some info http://www.ahpra.gov.au/Registration/Registration-Process/Overseas-Practitioners.aspx

|If you are looking to get a permanent visa then you will also need a skills assessment from ANMAC - this gives you some info on their role http://www.nursingmidwiferyboard.gov.au/Registration-and-Endorsement/International.aspx

As things are at present, if Craig wants to continue in his trade of aircraft engineer (mechanical) he will probably have to be trade assessed and I think that would be by Engineers Australia - http://www.engineersaustralia.org.au/about-us/migration-skills-assessment

Emigrating to Australia is not a 5 minute process but with a lot of research it can be done and it is possible to do it without using a migration agent, unless there are some complications with your case. By all means talk to a migration agent to get some general info - most of them offer a free fact-finding session. If you are going to use a migration agent, make sure that they are an official one - registered with DIAC - https://www.mara.gov.au/ - there are some unscrupulous companies out there who are just after your money, and lots of it!

Hope this might be of some help to you as you start your journey - and good luck :smile:

hi & welcome to pio! im a nurse too (m.h 10years), 1st thing to do is what gilraenH says and look on www.immi.gov.au to look at what kind of visas. there is a section for nurses and doctors. have a look at the 175 independent and the 176 state sponsored aswell as any other options.also read the skillselect bit as immigration requirement is changing in july. 2 options then you can choose from: either you need to get registered as a nurse with aphra (australias nursing board) start doing that now (need certified copies of nurse training,transcripts, nmc verification etc & can take ages so start as soon as. then apply to anmac for modified skills assessment. they are the nursing skills assessment authority whuch is different then aphra. i did it this way.

the other way is to get your skills assessed with anmac 1st (it will be a full assessment, NOT modified) then apply for registration with aphra.

i took the modified assessment route (not full assessment) with anmac because i was already registered with aphra as a nurse. i was nursing in australia back in 2004 and kept my registration up to date. the pros of doing it this way: modified assessment is cheaper (300dollars i think) then full assessment (850 dollars) and you have to register with aphra anyway, so why not keep costs down! also because i have the modified assessment then i didnt need to sit the ielts exam (185 euro) for anmac. anyone who does the full assessment with anmac has to sit the academic ielts!

when you have a look at www.immi.gov.au work out how many points you have. currently you have to have 65 points. i thought i would easily have that but i didnt. i only had 55 points so i sat the ielts (last saturday) to hopefully give me the extra 10 points i need for the visa. even though i dont require it for my skills assessment like some nurses might.

current processing times for anmac is 14 weeks. i was hoping to have mine assessed before july when it changes to skillselect. skillselect is where anyone who wants a visa has to do whats known as an expression of interest. basically your telling them you want to come to australia. the government then decides if they are going to invite you. only if you get this invite, then you can apply for a visa. so loads of people (myself included!) are worried they wont get selected. they will select people with the most points i believe too, so 65points to me is only just in. thats why there are long delays with aphra and anmac processing times. everyone is on a mad rush to get their visas in before 1st july!

i rang anmac there. my modified skills assessment went in beginning of april. they told me that they are only just now processing februarys batch. anyone with their reference numbers handy they are up to 42400's im 42800's, i asked if he thought there was any chance mine would be processed before july and he said he didnt to be honest. so thats thrown a spanner in the works now. it looks like i will have to do an expression of interest, and hope im one of the lucky ones to be selected.

so before you can apply for a visa you have to be skills assessed and have your australia nursing registration. i heard of one guy who applied for his visa without having the requirements first and he lost his £2000 visa application fee. its non refundable, so make sure you have everything 1st!!!

with regards to an agent, well they can work out very expensive. im doing it myself. this forum is great for advice and the best advice i can give you is that this is going to be a slow process and a costly one. have look again for visa costs and because you have a family you will have to pay the 2nd installment. add on the cost of being skills assessed, aphra registration, medicals etc it will add up. but it will all be worth it i believe. i started looking into emigrating seriously about 6 months ago and its only now im beginning to understand the process but ive been doing a lot of research into it, looking on the anmac website, www.immi.gov.au website, on here as well. so thats the best advice i can give you is to keep researching it, to see what you need. i have been told that the aphra and the anmac process is the worst bit though and after that it gets better! i hope thats true when skillselect comes in. best of luck and if you want to ask anymore questions feel free!

mel x

Melanie you can save $300 dollars doing reg first however I have read where posters have done APHRA first, then discovered because they only have eligibility they still have to do the full skills assessment anyway, costing them 2 lots of documents and then having the issue of needing to get to Oz to complete the registration with aphra within the year.

Having been registered before and living in Australia before applying to APHRA may mean that you get full registration but if you don't it would save Karen time and some money doing skills first. It all depends what Karen wants to do, their points for DIAC and the time frame they have.

It is not a straight forward process by any means and there is not just one way to do this. Helen is right about getting over to Oz being a long and costly process and you needing to be careful about documentation. :biggrin:

Thank you so much for all the advice - I have opened all the links in new tabs and will get reading!

It's alot to get your head around isn't it...before we start writing cheques we need to establish how much this process is likely to cost?

Any ideas? Are there such things as 'packages' - being sponsored by an employer who pays for visas, flights etc to move you over to work for them?

Guest melanie79

hi gilraenH! yeah your right, many ways to go about it and deffo not a straight forward process! emandcraig- there are some hosptials that do sponsor with a relocation package but i believe that these are only in places most people dont really want to go, ie the outback and other ransdom places. i rang my old hospital that i worked in in sydney and asked one of my old managers bout relocation package for myself as they have jobs advertised. she said that although the hospital will sponsor a nurse to come over on a temporary 4 year visa they dont offer any financial assistance with relocation, flights etc.

im just going to talk about the 175 visa here which is what im hoping for but bear in mind there are other visa options:

as for cost well im estimating what it will cost me. (single, no kids-just myself going-hopefully!) for the 175 independent visa, aphra, anmac, ielts, getting documents certified, verification, medicals, police check to put a rough estimate will probably be around 3500euro probably underestimated a bit really. (sorry dunno what that is in sterling these days), no thats just a rough guide and im doing this without an agent. its gona cost you having a family!!!

i know that if there is more than one applicant then a 2nd installment is due. it will tell you on the www.immi.gov.au bout fees- have look for that link, i believe the 175 and 176 (state sponsored) is the same fee. it tells you how much the 1st & 2nd installment is. i believe your hubby will have to have a medical too (someone else who is going over with a family might be able to verify that though-not 100 percent)

the 176 state sponsored visa a lot of people choose. my concern with this is the settlement funds (or whatever they call it). the states want you to show that you have i believe 20k for the main applicant then i think 7k for 2nd applicant & 5k for other applicants. now because i didnt look too much into that visa for that reason im niot too familiar with it, so dont quote me! other threads/posters on here will give you better info on that. some states (i believe esp queensland make you prove it with bank statements etc) from posts on here though i belive victoria is the only state that people have posted where they havent had to prove they have the funds, but i guess if your declaring you have enough settlement funds in your application then if they want you to prove it, you have to be able to.

there are other visa options of course, but ive only been talking bout my experience of the 175. im not sure if its 457 or 475 something like that where a hospital sponsors you, but you need to weigh up the pros and concerns of this. again someone with experience with this visa will be able to tell you more. but its only a 4 year temporary visa and i dont know if it entitles someone to use their medicare or whether the kids schooling has to be paid for? im not sure.

have look on www.workliveplay.qld.gov.au website. thats for queensland and see what nursing jobs are there. also you can express an interest in nursing sponsorship. www.sesiahs.health.nsw.gov.au is health website in nsw, where you can have a look too and it will tell you about sponsorship. think one for victoria is www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au again will tell you about state sponsorships etc.

it def is a lot to get your head around, but as you get more into it and do lots of research it starts to become a little bit more familiar (just!)

what type of nurse are you and are you full or part time? as i think the hours play a part in registration too

Hi Emandcraig we decided last year that we fancied moving and this forum is tremendous in its support. we found going to an 'expo' (exhibition) interesting, most of info can be sourced here but it made us feel like we were really giving it a go check out http://www.downunderlive.co.uk for dates. I also buy a monthly magazine Australia and New Zealand from WHsmiths which is really helpful. The way I understand it is a 457 is a quick option but dosent entitle you to certin benefits and if you lose job or are unable to work due to injury for 4 weeks you will be sent home. We decided on the 176 as its not as restrictive as a 457 which ties you to your employer, it does take longer but is more secure, especially if you have responsibilities. also as my son will be approaching uni age on a 457 you pay charges as if you were overseas. For th 176 you need a skills assessmnet with ANMAC, which includes sitting the academic IELTS and gaining a 7, to gain points for PR (176) I need to gain 8. If going on a 457 IELTS isnt needed as long as you can prove you were taught and assessed in English either by school declaring it or a stat decleration notarised (google who can notarise). So at present though this may change come July my plan is to sit IELTS (booked for May 26th) if I get at least 7's will register with ANMAC but will ask them to forward to APHRA, I have requested my verification pack from NMC which I will send with ANMAC, then request state sponsorship (QLD for us) then hopefully book flights, we aim to be there for June 2013, but as i say unsure how July changes will affect our plans. Any other info please ask. Nicola (ps also a nurse) x

• 8 months later...

So, almost a year later and we are still in the UK! The right thing to do - we are save save saving.

Want to make the move to Melbourne. All advice welcome!

???? Jobs for husband - anyone have any advice to ex RAF looking for un licenced jobs?

Cost of living? Renting?

We WILL get there in the end :)

• 4 weeks later...
So, almost a year later and we are still in the UK! The right thing to do - we are save save saving.

???? Jobs for husband - anyone have any advice to ex RAF looking for un licenced jobs?

Cost of living? Renting?

Im still here too, 14 weeks and still waiting for ANMAC, havent even started AHPRA! House sold though so things moving albeit slowly, hope to be there by Aug/Sept Brisbane or Gold Coast bound.

When are you hoping to be there by?

Good luck

• 10 months later...

Cost of living? Renting?

Hi, how are you guys getting on?

Im in the same boat looking for aircraft work prior to moving over, so we have at least one good source of income on arrival.

Are you still in the UK?

jim

Archived