What is Toowoomba like for families????

Dansi

morning Bobj,what you have there is the current Highfields, but I was doing some "googling" and came across some info which of course i cant find now, but it was talking about an expansion to start in 2015, it talked about a "high street" with shops and then mix residential so town houses, to larger blocks for single dwellings. Also a sports center is going in and a new state high school will open in 2015 with the catholic school planning to expand to high school in 2016. We have a place out at Meringandan West, and all the blocks out there will remain large blocks so 1/2 to 1 acre, the main roads to that area are also to have trees planted to for a boulavard.

This town plan maybe ? http://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/docs/doc_download/4955-local-plan-highfields-meringandan-meringandan-west-final-report

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Fish LOVE the photos thank you ! Holy cow this interlink is that on top of the business park the wagners are building ?

Yes, seems to be a transfer hub for mining and ag products between rail, road and air. More jobs!

i know some in Brisbane are really looking at Toowoomba as having a bright future as it has a lot going for it already...

Edited by fish.01

Bugga!! Used to drive through Highfields once a fortnight for a year and I could have bought a few blocks for almost nowt...Suppose the army will be thinking of selling the Borneo Barracks golly course...:wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

still time to bag a bargain Bobj, this is the local plan I just found http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au%2Fdocs%2Fdoc_download%2F4955-local-plan-highfields-meringandan-meringandan-west-final-report&ei=wXbdU5r9Ls3j8AW9x4H4BA&usg=AFQjCNEszoRmpOw34ULBlYc6rO5Qf6M0-w&bvm=bv.72197243,d.dGc

The entire area Toowoomba to Crows Nest is now seeing increasing development.

You get a "like" but not sure the Toowoomba Council should. The avenue of trees all along that section used to be a really good drive in 1982.

Progress sometimes does bad things.

Cheers, Bobj.

You get a "like" but not sure the Toowoomba Council should. The avenue of trees all along that section used to be a really good drive in 1982.

Progress sometimes does bad things.

Cheers, Bobj.

Yes I agree but I think the council are starting to see the error of there ways as part of the plan is now an "avenue of trees" out to Highfields, meringandan and merinandan west with suburb name signs for each "village"

Hi all

My family and I will be moving down to Toowoomba from Rockhampton in 2 weeks time. We have 3 young children of which one is at Kindy.

We have accomadation for 2 weeks when we arrive and then will need to get a rental property.

Can anyone recommend family friendly areas for us to look at or any other info that might help us.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Hi all

My family and I will be moving down to Toowoomba from Rockhampton in 2 weeks time. We have 3 young children of which one is at Kindy.

We have accomadation for 2 weeks when we arrive and then will need to get a rental property.

Can anyone recommend family friendly areas for us to look at or any other info that might help us.

Thanks in advance.

Ian

Have sent you a PM

Highfields is without doubt a lovely place, about 20 minutes drive from Toowoomba. Word of advice though, check you can get internet, Telstra have used up all the available connections on the exchange and with the roll out of NBN, they will not invest any more money in upgrading the existing system. All the new builds have to have NBN, but the 'older' properties may miss out. Mobile internet is very expensive!

Check with Telstra before you rent!

Thanks guys, keep hearing good things about the town. Can anyone recommend schools ? Also the best suburbs close to the CBD.

So many schools in Toowoomba, maybe start by making a list of suburbs close to the city center, then look at the schools in those suburbs. I personaly love the Lutheran schools so in this case Concordia, but I am sure there will be other parents who have children currently in school in Toowoomba who will help you.

Thanks guys, keep hearing good things about the town. Can anyone recommend schools ? Also the best suburbs close to the CBD.

As far as schools go, it depends what you want, private, state, religious, there is so much choice!

There are government websites which rank the schools, but I was steered away from those by one of the principals who told me that out of a possible 230 surveys, only 8 were returned, so not an accurate representation!

My daughter is 8 years old and in the state system, we initially looked at Harlaxton State School, Wilsonton State School, Toowoomba North State School and Rockville State School. None of them are catchment orientated. Of these four, I would say that Toowoomba North is the best, the rest seem a bit run down.

In the end we decided on Middle Ridge State School to the south of the city, this is a strict catchment school so we had to find a house close by, fortunately we found a lovely rental a short walk away. Our daughter is thriving, we are so pleased with our choice.

We have friends who have a son in Highfields School and another in Toowoomba State High School, both are really happy and the schools look great.

I suggest you make a shortlist and contact the principals to make an appointment to look around, all of them are very accommodating.

Good luck in your search!

Edited by ToowoombaBlue

• 3 months later...

Myself and the OH are moving to Toowoomba in January as I have secured a job here. We were a bit apprehensive at first as we wanted to be nearer to family on the sunshine coast. After reading the thread we are looking forward to it more as, even though there are people who don't like the place, the good ones outweigh them....making us less nervous as it's such a big move anyway.

Might bump into a few of you :-)

Thought I would update everyone as have now been in Toowoomba about 3 months. Settling really well and living in Middle Ridge. Managed to get our boy a place to start prep next year at Middle Ridge State School. Seems like a lovely town with a nice climate. Looking forward to our future here.

Thought I would update everyone as have now been in Toowoomba about 3 months. Settling really well and living in Middle Ridge. Managed to get our boy a place to start prep next year at Middle Ridge State School. Seems like a lovely town with a nice climate. Looking forward to our future here.

So glad you are settling in, give me a shout in the next few weeks if you see me at the school, you won't miss my daughters pink scooter with white tyres and sparkly tassels! :)