What is Toowoomba like for families????

Dansi

Hi all,

Well I have been offered a role that is based in Toowoomba, it's not all signed and sealed yet as I have a few questions for the prospective employers, which gives me a little time for research.

I have looked at the area via google and other search facilities, and it looks very nice. Housing seems quite cheap in comparison to other area's, but just as nice.

I would like to be living in the outskirts and have been drawn to Cotswold Hills and surrounding towns.

We are a family of 4, there is me, my OH, our 17 YO daughter who is hoping to go to college and pursue a career in conservation/marine biology (I know, I know, maybe the coast would be a little better hehe) and our 8 YO daughter who will enter the mainstream school system.

Anyone out there able to give any info on schools in the toowoomba area? Good/bad areas to live in? etc etc......

And any other info about the place would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys

Simon:confused:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Theres been people on PIO who have lived there and their experiences haven't been good, it is two hundred kilometers in land and personally i would rather stay in cloudy Dewsbury. To me a big factor in a succesful migration, is Location, Location, Location and we are researching the areas we like to death, if you choose an obscure out of the way Location, don't complain if it isn't what you thought it would be. Best of luck and my advice ...... Look for somewhere else.

The Huff aint got a clue, Simon.:arghh:

It is a very nice small city, lined with jacarandas and sits on top of the Great Divide. It is mainly an agricultural area, being in the Darling Downs and has rich, red soil. A lot of retirees in the city, 'cos of the mild climate.

Jacarandastoowoomba.jpg

It is about 125 km to Brissie and 1½ hours' drive.

Cheers, Bobj.

Hiya Jim,

Why have they had bad experiences? I believe every family copes with things a little differently so it may be that what wasn't right for them, is for us.... If you get my drift.

We live by the coast in not so sunny sussex at the moment and don't really make use of the beach a great deal so being inland isn't really an issue, if anything it makes visits to the coast that little bit more special IMHO. I have moved around a lot (ex-soldier) and have lived inland, on the coast and everywhere in between, and they all have their benefits.

What is it about Toowoomba that your friends/acquaintances didn't like? Sorry to be a pain, but research is research and it deserves to be done thoroughly hehe.

Simon.

Hiya Bobj,

You posted that while I was quizzing Jim the Hoff hehehe. I have to say it looks nice, and the property I have my eye on in Cotswold Hills is quite good value for money with nice open areas all around.

One thing that concerns me a little is reading about flooding!! any tips on areas to avoid??

Ta

Simon

Theres been people on PIO who have lived there and their experiences haven't been good, it is two hundred kilometers in land and personally i would rather stay in cloudy Dewsbury. To me a big factor in a succesful migration, is Location, Location, Location and we are researching the areas we like to death, if you choose an obscure out of the way Location, don't complain if it isn't what you thought it would be. Best of luck and my advice ...... Look for somewhere else.

Some people cant afford to be really fussy.. they cant all go live in a really nice apartment in surfers paradise. Sometimes people just need to start somewhere that isnt perfect just to get a foot in the door and they can move on. As long as its safe and has decent housing and jobs then could be ideal..

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hiya Jim,

Why have they had bad experiences? I believe every family copes with things a little differently so it may be that what wasn't right for them, is for us.... If you get my drift.

We live by the coast in not so sunny sussex at the moment and don't really make use of the beach a great deal so being inland isn't really an issue, if anything it makes visits to the coast that little bit more special IMHO. I have moved around a lot (ex-soldier) and have lived inland, on the coast and everywhere in between, and they all have their benefits.

What is it about Toowoomba that your friends/acquaintances didn't like? Sorry to be a pain, but research is research and it deserves to be done thoroughly hehe.

Simon.

Its only their opinion, i was just repeating what they have said, they aren't friends or aquaintances, they are members of PIO, i am sure one of them will post on this thread and explain why. Like i said i personally don't want to live far away from where things are happening, you might like it and as you say your not bothered about being near the sea and beach, so it might work out for you. You can always move if you don't like it, best of luck.

Hiya Bobj,

You posted that while I was quizzing Jim the Hoff hehehe. I have to say it looks nice, and the property I have my eye on in Cotswold Hills is quite good value for money with nice open areas all around.

One thing that concerns me a little is reading about flooding!! any tips on areas to avoid??

Ta

Simon

The lowest bit...city centre.

Cotwold Hills gets fairly dry out on the western side, but still a good area. Personally, Highfields, north of the city.icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Some people cant afford to be really fussy.. they cant all go live in a really nice apartment in surfers paradise. Sometimes people just need to start somewhere that isnt perfect just to get a foot in the door and they can move on. As long as its safe and has decent housing and jobs then could be ideal..

I agree totally, they might love it.

I agree totally, they might love it.

Sorry Jim, it wasnt meant to be a dig or anything. I only meant that I know what sort of situation Simon is in because we've been talking to a company about sponsorship in a similar sort of area, well I think toowoomba is meant to be nicer actually but its in the darling downs area. So I know that sometimes you just have to start at the bottom and then you can eventually move to your perfect place.

Guys I can't thank you enough for the advice/tips, keep them coming.

"Its only their opinion, i was just repeating what they have said, they aren't friends or aquaintances, they are members of PIO, i am sure one of them will post on this thread and explain why. Like i said i personally don't want to live far away from where things are happening, you might like it and as you say your not bothered about being near the sea and beach, so it might work out for you. You can always move if you don't like it, best of luck."

Fair enough Jim, I wasn't having a pop at you at all in my second post btw, as you say each to they're own. If nothing else it'll be a stepping stone to somewhere else as you and stacey say.

I'll have a look at highfields Bobj ;-)

cheers

Simon

Guys I can't thank you enough for the advice/tips, keep them coming.

"Its only their opinion, i was just repeating what they have said, they aren't friends or aquaintances, they are members of PIO, i am sure one of them will post on this thread and explain why. Like i said i personally don't want to live far away from where things are happening, you might like it and as you say your not bothered about being near the sea and beach, so it might work out for you. You can always move if you don't like it, best of luck."

Fair enough Jim, I wasn't having a pop at you at all in my second post btw, as you say each to they're own. If nothing else it'll be a stepping stone to somewhere else as you and stacey say.

I'll have a look at highfields Bobj ;-)

cheers

Simon

Explanation needed...I used to drive through Toowoomba twice a week for a year while working on the Tarong Coal Project, near Nanango and as a break, would stop off for a something to eat in Toowoomba.

Another area I like is the Kearney Springs and Darling Heights, both on the south side.

Cheers, Bobj.

Sorry i didnt mean it like that.. The place is called Dalby. I just meant that most people seem to go to places like surfers paradise etc and like Jim said they dont want to be away from all the buzz. I dont know much about the area other than its prone to flooding and is a few hours away from Brisbane. Still waiting on a yes or no but if its a yes then we'll take it because it's a foot in the door.

you sound like you've done your research on Toowoomba and if Bobs gave his seal of approval lol then you should just go for it!

Sorry i didnt mean it like that.. The place is called Dalby. I just meant that most people seem to go to places like surfers paradise etc and like Jim said they dont want to be away from all the buzz. I dont know much about the area other than its prone to flooding and is a few hours away from Brisbane. Still waiting on a yes or no but if its a yes then we'll take it because it's a foot in the door.

you sound like you've done your research on Toowoomba and if Bobs gave his seal of approval lol then you should just go for it!

A packet of red jellybabies for you, Jock.:yes:

Cheers, Bobj.

I think the trouble with researching things on T'Interweb is that there is a lot of glory pictures, piled in with pictures of the worst bits lol.

The job that I am considering will be based in the Torrington district, my family and I would like to be on the outskirts rather than in the thick of it, but close enough to get into the thick of it when we want to.

I know exactly what you mean....

A bit of background on me and mine ' I'm an ex soldier/army mechanic, that has been on the tools for over 20 years, currently working as a mobile commercial/plant mechanic. OH is a health care assistant (qcf level 3). We work hard (I average 55 hours a week, she works 35) to get by in South UK, and when I say get by I mean we are able to stay on top of the basics and not a lot more. our household income is roughly £40k and we have 2 kids to support as well.

The job I have been offered in Torrington is similar to the one I do now, if I was to do the hours I do now then I would be bringing in around AUD100k before taxes, So about AUD65k- 70k take home, plus whatever my OH brings in. So I feel we can afford somewhere quite nice to live, support the eldest daughter through college and have some time together doing fun stuff.

The other option is that we wait for something to come along that is based somewhere else!!!!

Dilemma lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
The lowest bit...city centre.

Cotwold Hills gets fairly dry out on the western side, but still a good area. Personally, Highfields, north of the city.icon14.png

Cheers, Bobj.

If Bobj says its ok, thats good enough for me, i would move there from Dewsbury afterall, lol.

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Places like http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-cotswold+hills-407551977 make me want to go now lol, when you look at the 3 bed terrace I'm in now for about the same money......:err:

I know what you mean mate the houses in Australia are just incredible, we can't afford an house like the houses on offer there, they have so much room, the houses in the UK are mostly built on top of each other. It will be like living at ......... South Fork in Dallas, lol

I don't know anything about specific areas to live, but my husband goes to Toowoomba fairly often for work, he says it's nice, & the shopping area is pretty decent too.

It does get fairly cold/cool in the winter as it's quite high up and inland, but I'd say for a family it would be a good place to live. And it's not too far from Brisbane if you feel the need to go there.

Looking at the link to the house you put up, just be aware for something like that you REALLY need to like mowing the lawn, in the summer it's grown again before you've had chance to put the mower away.

True, but it got one heck of a belting January last year:

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/weather/inland-tsunami-devastates-queensland-towns-20110110-19kti.html

Cheers, Bobj.

Yeah, that's why I think it's understandable someone could get that impression from the internet...it's only when you live here that you realise how crazy and rare that flash flood on top of a mountain range really was. In saying that I don't think that much of toowoomba was affected as it was really a flash flood down one creek rather than a widespread flood.