Mechanical Fitter (general) needs advice on securing job offer whilst in UK

Hi, my name is Jeff. I have a 176 visa and was looking for some advice about securing employment before moving my wife and three children to Aus. I have emailed hundreds of vacancies from Seek.com and have had very little response. One or two agencies have advised me to come and see them when I arrive. But....it is so difficult to relocate without a secure job offer. Has anyone else faced/overcome this dilemma. Is it a case of just having to be brave? (hopefully not foolish ).

Most of the jobs that I have seen and heard of people securing before leaving tend to be mining or heavy engineering based, I would consider myself to be more of a maintenance/mechanical fitter with a history in print engineering and fmcg. Am I waisting my time trying to secure a job offer before travel in these types of industry? Is there any demand?

I would really appreciate hearing from anyone with simillar experience or indeed anyone with helpful advice. (or come to that, anyone with a job vacancy!!)

Thanks,

Jeff.

Hi jeff

I have been trying to get a job for about 6months now in oz,I work as a mechanical fitter on commercial aircraft. Even tho there are hundreds of jobs available in my line of work it's so hard to get one before I head out. I have been told to do your homework on what's available for you out there,sign up to the agencies then take a leap (scary I know) and get out there.

There are plenty of jobs in maintenance,maybe not your current trade but something to tic you over until you find what your looking for.

hi

my hubby secured a job before we left, he emailed loads companies direct with his cv , got a lot of come and see us when you land then finally got a skype interview and job offer.

give it go you might get lucky as we did.

Guest RichB

Im a fitter and living in Oz and been trying to secure to secure work in the mining industry through advertisements on seek.com and jobs wa...As I havent worked in the mining industry they all come back stating that ..

Unless you have specific experience in mining on a certain type of machine its difficult, and dont forget you need your blue,white,green,red,pink,amber and moave cards and hr license and working at heights course and confined space ticket and first aid and the list goes on and on and on...crying out for skilled people in Oz my ass...if they were they wouldnt make it so difficult..

I would definatly prefer not to go without job security but im getting nowhere, also getting the "see us when you land"feedback. I have no children just a girlfriend so taking that "leap" is easier for me I know.

• 1 year later...

Archived