Partner Visa subclass 820 (onshore) processing times

thom1980

Hi everyone.

I applied for my partner visa, subclass 820 (onshore) back in Jan '12 (my wife is Australian) and just wondering if anyone has any idea how long these take to process? I've been offered several jobs, only for them to back out due to my work restrictions. It's getting annoying as we're trying to save for a house deposit.

I've spoken to immigration and one minute they say 6-8 months, the next minute it's 12-18 months.

Sick of asking them now and was wondering if anyone else is having these issues or can shed some light on it.

As far as i am aware, they have all the forms etc that they need from me. Immigration haven't been in touch requesting further info anyway.

Cheers

Thom

There's a thread on this so do a search.

Some people get lucky and approved in a couple of weeks. Most of us have to wait ages. There's no consistency. I submitted in Brisbane and rang up yesterday to chase them up (9 months to the day after submitting the visa). They told me that it's looking like it'll be 12 months. Luckily I don't need it as I'm on a 457 but it'd be nice to have it sorted.

I'm currently on Bridging Visa Class A until the partner visa comes through. On that, i can only work for 6 months per employer.

I did search the threads, but only saw the offshore ones. I'll search again...

Some people get lucky and approved in a couple of weeks. Most of us have to wait ages. There's no consistency.

Mine was just over a week (18 months ago) but I already had a prospective marriage visa. I suspect many of the quickies already hold some other visa that has had the checks done so it is simply a rubber stamping.

My partner is Australian and I submitted my 820 visa application a year ago this month. I haven't heard anything at all yet but I called Immigration last month and she said it would probably be reviewed this month. I had the same 'no work' restrictions but applied for the right to work due to financial hardship and got it pretty quickly.

My partner is Australian and I submitted my 820 visa application a year ago this month. I haven't heard anything at all yet but I called Immigration last month and she said it would probably be reviewed this month. I had the same 'no work' restrictions but applied for the right to work due to financial hardship and got it pretty quickly.

When i've spoke to immigration, they've said 12-18 months, but their website says it should take 6 months for applications rated low risk and 8 months for applications rated high risk. Just wish they'd be straight up.

I applied for the work restrictions to be lifted, but my wife earns too much unfortunately. It's enough to support us so to speak, but as trying to save for a house deposit and starting a family, it's not enough hence why i need my visa pretty sharpish!

It is very frustrating and you hear so many different accounts of the whole visa process. Some people get theirs in a matter of weeks and some have to wait months and months. I didn't know that Immigration are now saying 12-18 months, I was kinda hoping that it was all nearly done for me. Totally understand about the money situation, even with me working too it's difficult to save and we also want to buy a house and start a family I do think though that you being married should speed the process up. I do hope that is the case for you and wish you lots of luck for the future!

It is very frustrating and you hear so many different accounts of the whole visa process. Some people get theirs in a matter of weeks and some have to wait months and months. I didn't know that Immigration are now saying 12-18 months, I was kinda hoping that it was all nearly done for me. Totally understand about the money situation, even with me working too it's difficult to save and we also want to buy a house and start a family I do think though that you being married should speed the process up. I do hope that is the case for you and wish you lots of luck for the future!

I think the saving grace is that residency is granted 2 years from date of the initial application rather than when the partner visa is approved. It's just getting decent work in the meantime that is hard.

I spoke to them the other day and although not got a case worker yet, the woman on the phone said it looked good. Just a matter of time.

Part of the 820 visa is also applying for the PR at the same time - kind of a 2 in 1 application so to speak, so once the application for partner visa is applied for, providing it is approved, PR comes 2 years from the date of initial application regardless of how long the partner visa takes to approve. It may be different for 457 visas etc though.

I don't think it just comes in the post though. You've got to fill out a second form proving you're stilling the relationship. Not sure tho

From my understanding, if there is any further proof required, it is asked for prior to the end of the 2 years. Then again, i may be wrong, but i was told 2 years from date of application i get my residency.

Two years from application you become eligible for residency, but yes, you will need to lodge another form - much less of a big deal than the first one though. They send you the paperwork about 2 months before the 2 years is up. For an offshore application they ask for 6-8 months to process it - I lodged in January and waiting, but I believe if your original application was onshore that stage is quicker (people seem to be waiting about 3 months or so after they send in their docs)

Two years from application you become eligible for residency, but yes, you will need to lodge another form - much less of a big deal than the first one though. They send you the paperwork about 2 months before the 2 years is up. For an offshore application they ask for 6-8 months to process it - I lodged in January and waiting, but I believe if your original application was onshore that stage is quicker (people seem to be waiting about 3 months or so after they send in their docs)

Hey Wellieboots!

When applying for the 820 visa (onshore partner visa), i was told by immigration to also fill in the form for the 801 permanent residency, hence the 2 in 1 application i was on about earlier, so i shouldn't have to lodge any more forms or applications, although i presume they may/will want evidence of continuing relationship aside.

I mainly want the partner visa quick now so i can work without having a 6 month restriction on my visa which is making it hard to get anything. My house deposit and starting family for eg. Then soon as my residency comes though, i want to apply for the police, so i'm hoping that comes though pretty quick.

I applied for my partner visa (820 & 801) in January too, so nearly 6 months for me so far. I was told onshore, it would be around 12-18 months before the visa would be approved, although their website claims 6-8 months. Offshore ones seemed to of being processed quicker (lucky devils!) I spoke to them the other day and they said things are starting to speed up, so hopefully hear something soon.

Which visa did you apply for in Jan?

I think you might be a bit confused - you don't apply for a 820 or an 801, you just apply for an 820 which is a permanent visa with a two year conditional period. If you've been with your other half for a while - think it's more than 4 years if you don't have kids - then you can request to be granted a permanent 801 visa straight off. Otherwise it's the bog standard 820 visa which becomes permanent two years after lodging, but there is more paperwork you need to complete - you get sent it about 3 months before your two year anniversary.

I applied onshore at Sydney and it took 11 and a bit months to get my 820 :-S I eventually got them to lift the six month working restriction even though my other half earns a good wage - just tallied up all our expenses and showed we needed two incomes. The first time I requested this it was refused, the second time - about 9 months after lodging - it was approved. May be worth looking at again in a few months?

I think you might be a bit confused - you don't apply for a 820 or an 801, you just apply for an 820 which is a permanent visa with a two year conditional period. If you've been with your other half for a while - think it's more than 4 years if you don't have kids - then you can request to be granted a permanent 801 visa straight off. Otherwise it's the bog standard 820 visa which becomes permanent two years after lodging, but there is more paperwork you need to complete - you get sent it about 3 months before your two year anniversary.

I applied onshore at Sydney and it took 11 and a bit months to get my 820 :-S I eventually got them to lift the six month working restriction even though my other half earns a good wage - just tallied up all our expenses and showed we needed two incomes. The first time I requested this it was refused, the second time - about 9 months after lodging - it was approved. May be worth looking at again in a few months?

11 months, that's a long time to wait! I tried applying for the financial hardship so i could have the work restriction lifted, but they said it won't be lifted as we are at the moment. It's more the frustration of wanting to work instead of doing nothing. It's a bit imasculating when the mrs pulls in all the cash!

As per the visa's, the 820 is only a Partner Temporary Visa, which is valid for usually 2 years, and the 801 is the Partner Permanent Visa which is the permanent residency part. That was why i was told to apply for both at the time of application. Regardless, it's a long a frustrating process!

I think you might be a bit confused - you don't apply for a 820 or an 801, you just apply for an 820 which is a permanent visa with a two year conditional period.

you do apply for both at the same time (it's automatic, not a choice), but the 820 is most definitely not a permanent visa. It is a temporary visa and the distinction can be very important.

Sorry, I said 820 where I meant to say 801. Of course the 820 is a temporary visa, I was just trying to explain that while you apply for both 820 and 801 with the initial application form, there are more forms to complete before the 801 is granted.

Sorry, I said 820 where I meant to say 801. Of course the 820 is a temporary visa, I was just trying to explain that while you apply for both 820 and 801 with the initial application form, there are more forms to complete before the 801 is granted.

Thanks Cez,

Your input is appreciated as it is from everyone else too.

Could i just ask what the form(s) are they send for the 2nd part, in terms of what they want to know etc....

Cheers

Thom

• 8 months later...

Hi there. Also applying for the 820 visa & just found out about the very long expected processing time! How did you go about getting your 'right to work visa'. Was not aware of this & can't se to find any info on the web. Cheers!

Hi there. Also applying for the 820 visa & just found out about the very long expected processing time! How did you go about getting your 'right to work visa'. Was not aware of this & can't se to find any info on the web. Cheers!

hi i'm waiting for my 820/821 visa, i had to complete a form 1005 to have working rights to which i got all working rights as we have children to care for it takes approx 2 weeks to 4 weeks for a reply i got mine within the 2 week guidelines

cheers

if you have been married longer than 3 years you willnby pass the 820 and get the 821 permanent visa no other forms are needed everythingmis submitted at the start of the process this is the information i was given by the migration agent, if you have missed anything then you probs will need to complete further information as required.

Archived