What documents needed for rental?

Hi everyone,

Jay again here :-)

Its 6 weeks and 6 days until we fly out to Sydney, think we've got most things sorted except the daunting task of trying to find a rental!

We want to live in Zetland and are hoping to secure an apartment ASAP when we arrive but does anyone know what documents we would need to be able to secure an apartment?

We will have 3 months rental up front - but are there any documents we should bring from uk to help us with our application?

Ive heard mortgage statements etc - is this true?

Many Thanks everyone in advance,

Jay ;-)

The more you can submit the merrier, i will list some of the things we used-

Passports for everyone over 18

Driving licence (UK) for everyone over 18

Paid up mortgage statement

Copy of a healthy bank balance so they knew we had funds behind us

Paid up gas and electric accounts

Personal Reference from the place we rented for some holidays

Aussie paperwork was a copy of my Medicare Card and bank card. I also included a covering letter stating we were new migrants who had owned our UK home ,.hence the lack of rental history and Asutralian paperwork

Hope this helps

Cal x

Give yourself a few weeks, dont jump at the first vacant house you find and when you are accepted for a house go through the entry report with a fine tooth comb, taking pics were appropiate.

I dont envy you i must admit,lol, but if its any consulation we have always got the rental we applied for and all but once got our full bond back so its not all bad,lol

Cal x

Guest liamsuse

Hi Paula and Jay,

We just moved over from the UK and did the same thing as you guys. These are the things we needed to show for our rental.

2 Referrals from last landlord (in the UK) / friend

100 Points of idenfication (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check) {Passport, Drivers License, Medicare, Birth Cert...}

Bank Statement (Evidence for deposit)

Letter of Offer from Work

In fact we wrote a quick blog on what we found useful:

http://www.athomeinaustralia.com/finding-a-home/renting/

Hope this helps!

Guest zee80
Hi Paula and Jay..... Sydney rental vacancy rate is 1.6% it's tough and competitive... have you thought about a tenant agent??? they can do all the running around for you, research, inspections to it could be possible they can secure a property before you arrive... let me know if you need help.

I'd also be interested in more info on this.

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows if they actually check the references? We arrive in Perth next week and are currently in Bali and all our stuff has been shipped! We will need to apply for a rental before all our documents arrive (stupidly we didn't think about this) we owned a house in the UK but maybe we could make up some references for a rental? We have passports and driving licence and a substantial amount of money already in Oz just dont have our mortgage statement! I know this isn't the done thing but we will need a house ASAP as got a 2yr old to get settled. Any advice appreciated :-)

Archived