Which Shipper & Why?

Guest sabink

• 2 weeks later...

We used Pickfords UK who have an Allied Pickfords depot in Sydney, and a local depot in Queanbeyan just up the road.

The packers and Aussie unpackers were both brilliant, tidy, careful and friendly....so on paper it sounds great.

Beware the timescales that the UK rep will give you, and keep copies of all your paperwork if you go with them (scanned if you can as well as paper)

If you have your own container it will be quicker than using a part load ("groupage").....our part load was estimated between 8-14 weeks and took 19 weeks and i was getting very pissed off at the end.

The Pickfords UK end held onto it for way too long before sending, probably trying to wait for a full container load but they went over what was acceptable waiting time and much longer than their absolute final deadline. Never gave us an explanation or apology.

If you get a quote.....try and tie the rep down and see if he starts sweating, if they cannot contractually commit to a firm "last" sending date then maybe try somebody else......they think once you've gone to Australia you're out of reach and they've got your money by then.

The Aussie end lost our customs forms twice, forgot our new address, couldn't find emails we'd sent, sent us a form which was returned within 20 minutes, then rang a week later saying they hadn't had it......in the end I was telling them the name of another person in their own office who would be able to help them out with the details and demanding delivery within 5 days....sleeping on an airbed does that to you after so long..:SLEEP:

Maybe that's solved though, they were polite enough and eventually got it sorted.......just admin/process stuff which i hear is quite common to lots of these companies.

Perhaps other people have had better experiences with different firms...

Not in Canberra but Crown relo shipped our stuff to Brisbane and we were more than happy with their service, in fact so much so i arranged for them to bring a second shipment of 6 boxes for us. I like that they dont use sub contractors and they seemed pretty honest when they came to quote us. They certainly did what they said they would and everything arrived on time and intact.

Cal x

We used PSS when we moved from London to Canberra.

We only had 5 boxes of stuff and it only cost around GBP230 for a door to door service + AUD80 for customs inspection. It took about 3 months for them to arrive which was ok.

By the time they arrived we thought "what the hell did we bring this load of junk for?" and we still haven't even unboxed anything yet. New start in Oz and new stuff, yay!

PSS were really good for us and would recommend them.

Z

We didn't have enought for a container so we used Seven Seas Worldwide. They were brilliant. we Sent 13 Tea Chest Boxes (40Kg each), a computer , a kenwood mixer, a guitar & golf clubs. Everything arrived early & there wasn't a mark on anything. Their staff and customer service was very good through out. I would recommend them if you don't have enough for a container. it cost us around 1300 euro i think

• 2 weeks later...

We used John Masons. The packers in the UK were great guys and really helpful. They use Wridgways here in Queanbeyan where they have a bonded warehouse where the container is emptied and cleared by customs and quarantine. All timings have been excellent. Ship left UK on 7 April and arrived in Sydney on Sunday 20 May as estimated. Our belongings arrived in Queanbeyan on Thursday, will go through quarantine tomorrow and be delivered to us on Wednesday. Dawn at Wridgways has been brilliant and kept us appraised every step of the way. We also brought our car and she emailed me to say that she watched it being taken off the container and assured me that it had been securely packed by Masons and looked great. Obviously we haven't seen anything yet and hopefully there won't be any breakages but I'll let you know by the end of the week. Fingers crossed!

Archived