evidence of history of your relationship

sh3p69

Hi all.

Me and my partner have been together for 8 years but would like a bit of help with the Evidence of history of your relationship. do you know if we have to do separate statements or can we do a single one and both sign that, My partner seems to think that we have to do separate ones...

Also i wouldn't mind to see what you all put in as evidence in the 4 categories...

Financial aspect of the relationship... I think that this on is pretty much easy

The nature of the household... we dont have kids but we have 2 dogs that are going to come with us...

Social context... Is this statements form families and friend, or is it some kind of declaration from them...

Your commitment... How do you do evidence of this...

Any info will be great... Thanks...

Dave... ;-)

Things I'd be including are

Bills and letters to you both (as a couple and individuals), so long as to the same address (going back over years to show you've been living together for an extended period of time). Phone, car insurance, house insurance, gas/electric/council tax, water raters etc.

Mortgage/rental paperwork (in both your names hopefully)

Bank account (if shared even better)

Invites to events/weddings/holiday bookings for you together as a couple etc

Holiday pics of you together. Cards sent to you both (Christmas/anniversary or some such). Letters from people/family who know you as a couple are good I guess.

Wills?

For commitment I'd talk about your plans for the future together. And what you've committed to so far as a couple (ie buying a house, writing wills, having the dogs and if you hope/want to have children in the future or go into business together, things like that I'd say show future commitment and plans).

I am not sure about if both of you have to make statements. I am applying for a spouse visa but have not gotten to that point yet :)

Guest ToniA

My partner and I have just had our visa granted and we had to prove our de-facto relationship...we don't have a great many bills in joint names but we had bank statements showing regular payments to each others accounts for expenses, we had photos of hols and invites etc

I was the main applicant so i wrote the personal statement and we both signed it, in it i outlined how we met, including important dates such as when we moved in together, how our finances are arranged, i included details about how we live our day to day lives etc.

We also had a number of statements from our friends and family members!!

As all of the above, plus I put it recent holiday travel insurance docs, a ferry booking.

We went over board with itemised phone bills showing us ringing each other. Transferring of money between our individual accounts along with the joint account statements.

We were a little worried as we lived in my house so all the bills were in my name, but had no question or queries from them.

Go for information overload!!

Good luck!!

Dale

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?eoppm1

Guest cols1480

My partner and I are just completing our spouse visa at the moment - I am Australian by birth and am taking my fiance' - very soon to be husband - with me.

We have written individual statements. We followed the guide from the partner migration booklet (pg 39 - History of your relationship) - in there it states 'you and your partner must each provide a statement regarding the history of your relationship, including...'

Hope that helps

Hi there,

I am almost at the stage of submitting our spouse visa app, after about 6 months fluffing about. Appointment with notary public to certify copies is last step, booked for next wk.

Yes, two different statements are needed. I wouldn't let my hubby read mine initially, cos I was worried they would end up the same! They have to be clearly by if different people, not verbatim copies of each other. We helped each other with dates, so we were not saying differing things. Mine is quite long, hubby is applicant so was a bit concerned because his is not very long, so I have suggested a time line type page, listing important dates in the relationship, to bulk his out a bit.

We have used the booklet that accompanies the application, as it give lots of examples. We have grouped all the evidence into the categories the booklet uses (see Partner Migration booklet downloadable from immi.gov.au website, part 7,page 40 and 41).

I agree with snifter about commenting about commitment, as no real paper evidence for this. I have a phone bill from one time we were apart. We are married with 2kids so I assume that is enough!!

For nature of household I have written about who is responsible for what around the house, eg who takes kids where, who does what chores, who pays what bills

Social context is stat decs from family/friends, also any joint memberships, invites or cards saying both names, evidence of joint travel, being both known to government bodies at your address ( I have used letters from council about nearby planning applications)

Glad to give any other advice to you if needed, because I know how much work this is!

Good luck

As it was explained to me by my agent, the decision whether or not to write individual statements is really yours. In our case we'd been together a decade, had kids and a mortgage - so plenty of hard legal evidence of the relationship. As such, we weren't really relying on the stat decs or personal statements to try and prove we were a couple. Because of that we didn't bother asking people to get their stat decs witnessed and we only wrote a single joint statement (page and a half of A4). Was never questioned and been in Oz over a year now...

Thank you guys for all your help and info that you all have given and making things more clear with this visa application...

I think that we will go for the 2 statements, like you said the more info the better as we are not married but live together...

No doubt i will be back asking for your help again...

HI sh3p69

My partner and I were in the same position, but we have a 3 year old two.

we had car insurance together for the past 7 years together.

we did a photo time line. Different hairstyles and got older-eve

n though I don’t like to say it lol., And some pictures at family weddings, christenings, holidays, travel ect. Don’t be afraid to tell the story of how you met, when you first fell in love, moved in together etc. they want to know your relationship is genuine.

As you partner said, I think its best if you both do separate declarations.

It’s actually really good because you get to see what your other half remembers. Lol

We also attached bills going to the same address, but we only have one joint bill- the internet.

We found a few holiday stubs from years ago and attached them along with recent ones two.

We also got 3 statutory declarations from a few friends that are in Australia and one that’s a public servant at home.

Hope this helps.

x

Hi there again, When you say that you show them bills going to the same address, were there old or were there new ones, just thinking because we destroy old bills and statements...

Also (sorry if its a daft question) the statutory declarations, are theses special forms that you download to fill out or is it just like a letter with them saying that i declare that the info is true with a signature.

Hey,

No question is daft on here.

So, we managed to find one bill and an old car insurance policy from about 5 years ago. The other bill where recent.

With regards to the statorty declarations, we had both my DH and my parents write a letter about how they met our partners, and special thing they remember etc. And then sign it in a coloured pen.

We also have two friends that got residency in Oz over the past year or two, so we got them to fill in FORM 888 http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/888.pdf. This is only a legal stat declaration if completed by an Oz resident.

Just compile as much relevant information as you can, and remember you can only load 50 documents, so start to combine relevant files swell.

A list of things we included (I'm the Aussie, OH is the Brit):

- personal statements from both of us describing our relationship (roughly one A4 typed page each)

- certified copies of passports & birth certificates

- copy of our tenancy agreement

- photocopies of bank statements from our joint account

- photocopies of bills such as council tax, utilities

- last 12 months payslips from me as well as a letter from my employer confirming how long I’d worked there and how much I earned (to help prove I could afford to sponsor my OH)

- stat decs from both my parents

- letters of support/ reference letters from his parents & a friend of ours

- handful of photo print outs showing us holidaying together or at social occasions (eg work function, friend's wedding, family Christmas)

- a few print outs of email correspondence to help show how long we'd been together eg. me telling my parents about our house hunting & the places we'd looked at, email from my parents to OH the previous year wishing him happy birthday

- copies of travel itineraries (flight & hotel bookings) showing evidence of us travelling together

- random stuff such as tickets from a show we saw together, Christmas cards sent to us from family, menu & place name cards from a work Christmas function

WoW, The help from you guys is fantastic. I would like to thank you all once again for all your help and the easily put guidance you have given...

Its just that my head is that full of information (doing the ANMAC,176 VISA, and the WA SS) even the simplest of think look confusing:err:...

I put a doc together for a post a while back in relation to what we included in our app and how we laid out our stat decs etc and have sent it on to a few other people since.

If you want me to drop you a copy over, PM your e-mail address and I'll send it over (its too long to post here as it's almost 3 pages of A4).

:animal-frog:ian

Archived