How Many Have Tried Another State Before Throwing In The Towel

stuart lawson

I would have liked to but unfortunately my wife's work won't allow for it. It's Sydney or nothing. I guess I could have always just disappeared into the Outback....at least I'd be closer to her that way over going all the way home.

Although we currently have no plans of returning back to the UK, I can fully understand the numorous factors & roller coaster of emotions that can make you feel that way.

We have always said if we felt Melbourne wasn't for us we'd give another state a go before making the jump back.

GOOD LUCK to all those who are heading home

Well, we were going to. After five years in Perth and a few stays in Melbourne, we now know Melbourne is a better fit for us. However, as it turns out the UK is a better option financially for us at this time so it's home we go.

We have citizenship though and would not rule out a return to Oz in the future. In that case we would return to Melbourne, no doubt about it.

We lived in Darwin for 20 months then moved to Brisbane 10 months ago .....its not Australia thats the problem, its me. I personally don't believe moving to a different state will solve your problems, if you yearn for all those things you miss another state will not take those feelings away.

We lived in Darwin for 20 months then moved to Brisbane 10 months ago .....its not Australia thats the problem, its me. I personally don't believe moving to a different state will solve your problems, if you yearn for all those things you miss another state will not take those feelings away.

What made you move from Darwin, did you think you would settle better in Brisbane?

What is it that you miss from the Uk?

Im interested, as we are going to possibly look at a move to Queensland rather than back to the Uk

What made you move from Darwin, did you think you would settle better in Brisbane?

What is it that you miss from the Uk?

Im interested, as we are going to possibly look at a move to Queensland rather than back to the Uk

We moved due to DH's work, I was glad of the move but those feelings crept back eventually. I miss having "a life"......my life with family, friends, history, culture, what I grew up with. You know I watched the Anzac parade today in Brisbane and nearly balled my eyes out everytime a pipe band passed (I'm Scottish). I just really miss home and after 8 years I feel its time to go home.

I was born and raised in Brisbane and I would never consider living in WA. I think you will find a lot of Aussies who were born and raised on the East Coast couldn't live in WA, far too isolated!! So I think moving to the East Coast might not be a bad idea if you aren't enjoying WA.

Lived in perth and Melbourne before but this time I just want to go home to Ireland. Its all well and good to say, try another state, but with small children and schooling etc, you can't just drag them around the place 'just in case another state is a better fit'. And financially is crippling to pack everything up and move, then what do you do if that doesn't work? Move states again, dragging the children behind you? Believe it or not, some adults can make a rational decision, within 3 or 4 months, and say, no this isn't for us, lets go home. Its not always the case that you don't like Australia, more that Home, whereever that is/was, is a better fit.

Guest Guest62757

We initially moved to Sydney's upper north shore 4 years ago and after two years of renting we decided to buy a house on the Central Coast to get onto the property ladder. My husband was born and raised on the Central Coast.

For many reasons we weren't happy whether it be the commute, being far away from our friends in Sydney, inlaws etc...

So we sought to move to Hong Kong with hubby's work but t the last minute changed our minds as we couldn't get a school place for our eldest child. But we knew we wanted to move and I was ready to get back on a plane and this was after 9 months of seeing a psychologist!

Hubby then actively sought new opportunity's and one came up in Melbourne which came with a pay rise - perfect!

I have to say Melbourne so far is ticking all of our boxes, we have enough money to spare to enjoy doing things as a family. Hubby has a 50min commute door to door. What ever I need is on my doorstep and not over an hours drive away. We have been welcomed into the area by our neighbours and our children's kinder/preschool which is on the same street is very social which makes it so much easier to make friends.

I don't know if this is us for good as I do miss my family and having their support but for now we are here and I owe it to my children to settle here for a while at least.

Hi Guys, we have just been back in the U.K. for 2 weeks,....already we are thinking of going back to Oz next year.!!

We lived in S.A.for 2 years, North Qld for 1 year and Brisbane(ish) for 6 months,,

we would only consider going back to Adelaide next time as we didn't like QLD too much,

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Most people come back home because they miss their family and friends not because they don't like Australia and moving to another state would seem pointless to most people i would imagine.

Most people come back home because they miss their family and friends not because they don't like Australia and moving to another state would seem pointless to most people i would imagine.

Well, yes....That would be a little silly to move states, as the Family still wouldnt be there :rolleyes:

Im sure this thread is aimed at those that are just not happy in the state they are currently living in (correct me if im wrong OP)

Archived