IELTS - enquiry on result

dredg97

Hi all,

I resat the IELTS test a couple of weeks ago and I've just received the results:

[TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Listening:[/TD]

[TD] 7.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Reading:[/TD]

[TD] 9.0[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Writing:[/TD]

[TD] 6.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Speaking:[/TD]

[TD] 7.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Overall:[/TD]

[TD] 7.5[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Believe me, for an Italian who has lived his entire life in Italy it's something like achieving a band score of 9....

This is the second time I am taking the test, the first time in November I scored 6.5 in Listening, 8 in Reading, and 7 in both Writing and Speaking.

Obviously, I need the 10 extra points for a 7 in each of the IELTS sections, in order to get 65 points (37 years old, master of science in engineering and 8 years of experience give me 55 points in total).

I have just called the Biritsh Council asking for an Enquiry on Result.

I need to fill a form, pay a fee and basically cross my fingers...

I think this time I wrote, if not better than I did on the first attempt, at least a letter and essay of the same level, and previously I got 7!

I really hope my writing test will be remarked to a higher band score (I just need 7, come on!!!!).

Does anyone applied for an Enquiry on Result?

Thanks for reading...

Cheers.

You have to wait for 6 weeks for the outcome. The first time I also have the same thought, however, the time is so lengthy so I decided to retake the exam and got what I want.

It is faster.

According to an unofficial info, the rate of getting higher mark after enquiry is <25%.

Thanks for your reply..

I agree with you and share your opinion, however this time I'm sure I wrote a decent letter and essay (at least of the same level of my first attempt when I scored 7).

I could resit on the 12th of May, sure...but I would receive my results at the end of the month and probably not in time for the State Sponsorship.

Let's try the option of remarking, if they will confirm the 6.5 I will resit the IELTS over and over again...

Meantime, I'll start preparing for the NAATI test, I'm Italian and I should be able to pass it and get additional 5 points, which can prove crucial in the skill select system...

Thanks again,

cheers.

Thanks for your reply..

I agree with you and share your opinion, however this time I'm sure I wrote a decent letter and essay (at least of the same level of my first attempt when I scored 7).

I could resit on the 12th of May, sure...but I would receive my results at the end of the month and probably not in time for the State Sponsorship.

Let's try the option of remarking, if they will confirm the 6.5 I will resit the IELTS over and over again...

Meantime, I'll start preparing for the NAATI test, I'm Italian and I should be able to pass it and get additional 5 points, which can prove crucial in the skill select system...

Thanks again,

cheers.

So finger crossed for you.

For 10 points you it will be quicker, easier and cheaper for you just to re-sit the IELTS, and maybe get a couple of sessions with a tutor before sitting the test.

Have you properly looked in the the NAATI - the next test date outside Australia in not until September.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/139907-anything-5-more-points.html

http://www.naati.com.au/PDF/Booklets/Accreditation_by_Testing_booklet.pdf

Good Luck with what you decide but often a re-mark with IELTS takes longer than just to resit the test.

It will be difficult to know ift you will get SS before July with the current processing times - therefore apply for the 175 if you get 10 points will be best option.

Thanks for your advice.

As for the IELTS issue, I think I'll go on with the enquiry. I know it will take 6 weeks, in that case I will loose the chance to re-sit in May, but there is a test on the 30th of June which I could take. I'm sure I can't do anything better with my English in the next couple of weeks, re-marking my last Writing exam with another examinator could lead to a positive outcome (hopefully..)...

As for NAATI, I spent the morning to gather information. I think I will purchase the sample test kit to have an idea of what is expected (it seems I can order the material only by the post, I asked if there's a possibility to order everything online, to speed up the process..)

There sessions in 4 European locations in September but in Holland you can sit on monthly basis.

What to say, I was really confident of my IELTS test results, I'm really upset...

Maybe you should speak to a Registered Migration Agent on what would be the best course of action for you. But I really beleive you are barking up the wrong tree with doing the NAATI (considering your IELTS mark), if you have read any threads on how difficult it is. Plus for only 5 points - then you have to cross your fingers that you get chosen for SS, since each state will be hand picking applicants having the best IELTS score is best way to be chosen.

It is understandable that you are upset regarding the IELTS result. If you read through the threads regarding IELTS many people have sat it a number of times to get the results you need. And many people that appeal do not get the grade increased.

I suppose it depends how much you want it - to move to Australia, to gamble everyting on a NAATI and hope to get chosen for SS.

Good Luck with what you decide - but a tutor for a few hours could help in the part that you are struggling with.

Hi Lebourvellec,

again thanks for your time and for your reply.

I have a Migration Agent, he is informed on everything, the problem is that I rarely receive a reply from him (should I change him? probably, but he's half Italian and half Australian, he's ok in dealing with Italian documents and arranged everything for my skill assessment through VETASSESS).

As for NAATI, I've come to the decision to purchase the sample test kit and understand what we are talking about. Italian is my first language and I always did good in school, university, exams in general, so with some preparation I think I can overtake difficulties.

What I don't like of it is the burocracy of the application (not just filling a form, but certifying documents, witnesses, etc., etc.,) and the low frequency of the exams.

I tried to contact a tutor before resitting the IELTS for the second time, especially for the Listening part, since in my first attempt I failed because of a 6.5 in it. He could not offer such a great help and I simply practiced on my own (without headset but listening to the speakers of my laptop, it actually worked because from 6.5 i passed to 7.5) but I couldn't expect my Writing dropped down though.

How much do I want it?

Well, moving to Australia is vital for me, and I'm devoting all efforts and economical resources.

My course of action is as follow:

1). Enquiry on Result, it's something like resitting IELTS keeping 9 in Reading and 7.5 in both Listening and Speaking. My Writing will be re-marked, I'm confident I did good and I could deserve a 7, if I will get it, fine...if not...I will resit IELTS the 30th of June, in July, August, September, etc...every single month until i get 7 in all four components.

2). Purchase NAATI sample test kit and understand if it is in my possibility or not. In the first case, I'll apply and take the test in Holland during the summer/autumn, otherwise I'll forget about it.

3). Waiting for VETASSESS response, that should arrive shortly (today it's exactly the 11th week after they received my documentation).

4). Last resort, Regional Sponsored Visa (475), if I couldn't get 7 in IELTS after 8-10 attempts and things on NAATI have gone wrong.

I'll never give it up, as far as there will be a possibility....

Ciao.

• 1 month later...
Guest aussie201220123

@dredg97. any updates about your IELTS enquiry? i would like to re-check my test too. good luck!

Hi, thanks for asking!

I no longer need it!

I got the results I needed the last week, by resitting for the 3rd time.

My suggestion is to go on in parallel, remark if you really think that you did good but were marked not as you expected...and keep trying by resitting.

I know it is expensive and stressful, but the target needs to be achieved at any cost!!

I'll let you know the outcome, however now it is more curiosity than actual need.

Ciao!

• 5 weeks later...
@dredg97. any updates about your IELTS enquiry? i would like to re-check my test too. good luck!

I just got an email from the British Council, I had a feeling that I wrote decently, in fact I was right!

My Writing has been remarked from 6.5 to 7.5!!

In any case, at this time this was purely a matter of curiosity, I just wanted to know the end of the story, since I resat for a third time scoring almost four 8's!

My seggestion is to apply for an EOR only for the Writing and Speaking sections, only if you are sure you have done well and together with this, resit the test to increase your chance.

Obviously it costed money and time (at least I'm eligible to get a refund for the EOR fees), but I was focused on the target, achieve the score I needed at any cost.

• 8 months later...

hi bud

I failed my ielts for the second time with 6.5 for my writing.. so I payed £45.00 to leeds and haragate language accademy for an hours lesson in the writing test believe me it was well worth it, as it was down to way i set the second part of the writing out.. the content was good but it was set out wrong.. i have re-sat my ielts for the thrird time after training and scored 7.5 in the writing.. Good luck keep going..

Thats scary that a remark went up by a full point! Im resiting as need all 8's, (see signature for previous marks), wih I had asked for remark at time, Im sure they deliberately down grade by at least .5 when they know you need the points. Well done dredge97

• 3 months later...

Hi there!

I'd like to know if there is someone else that had applied for a remark. I am not pretty sure if it worth it.

After 15 weeks studying I took the test. It's my first time and I've just got the results:

Writing 6.5 Speaking 7.5 Reading 9 Listening 9

I need 7 in each so I don't know if I should just resit the test or go for the remark and wait...

Thanks for your answers!

• 1 year later...

Archived