moving with the bare minimum

The willy s

im just wondering if anyone has made the move and survived with a very small budget and survived?

whats the lowest amount you think a family of 5 could realistically make the move on?

We have no property to sell, we currently rent and what we will be taking is whatever we can save and scrape together:unsure:

Lorraine

Guest The Ropey HOFF

You give very few details, just how little have you got? Have you got a job and whats the salary? Where are you going to?

Best of luck, i think anything is possible, but it might be tough.

Hi there,

Can only help on the costings of getting there if thats f any help. unsure of the living expenses exactly, aint been there for 10years :-) but here are our costings for a family of 4:-

2400 Flights

3800 20ft container

3400 2 dogs

1300 6 week holiday let

hope this helps :-)

Thank you both, sorry i didn't word that well.

At the moment we are starting the visa process, we should be able to rustle up £15-20000 hopefully before we go, and poss use a credit card for absolute emergencies. This is going to have to get us there 5 of us plus dog, and start us up.

Me thinks we are going to have to use credit card :(

Hubys is a data and voice supervisor/sparky. Hoping he can get a job before we arrive (in a ideal world!)

I suppose if we want it bad enough and its meant to be it will work out

Thanks

Guest MM Marc

I just saw your update, yeah $20,000 will give you a good start and some breathing space.

Probably cash to cover 2 months of furnished rental and groceries Plus enough for a car or car hire. That would leave nothing for contingency & would be pretty reckless but it could be done.

• 3 weeks later...
im just wondering if anyone has made the move and survived with a very small budget and survived?

whats the lowest amount you think a family of 5 could realistically make the move on?

We have no property to sell, we currently rent and what we will be taking is whatever we can save and scrape together:unsure:

Lorraine

green.png

We are a family of 4 (our girls are 3 and 1) from London and I arrived in Perth in February 2012 with only £10,500 ($15,000). My wife and 2 girls stayed with relatives in Brisbane for a month while I looked for work, a place to live, a car etc. (I stayed with friends for a month). I managed to find a job on my 3rd day and bought a 2nd hand car for $5000 in the second week. It took me a month to find a decent clean 3 bedroom rental property for $400 per week. We shipped over about 8 boxes and no furniture. We've had to buy all new furniture, including a fridge, washing machine, dishwasher, couches, dining room table, drawers, beds and appliances and other stuff as well as tools for my trade. We have pretty much nothing left so now its a matter of slowly building up some savings again. Its been a bit nerve racking living off just my wage but we absolutely love it here. The weather is near perfect, the open space and beaches and the general relaxed vibe is brilliant. We knew it was going to be a bit tough in the beginning but its been worth it.

Good luck

Paul

Guest jtrd

We did it on a bit less, it hard going at times and the prices of things blew me away (and continue to do so) but it is do-able

Guest guest17301

There is no minimum really, best to pay for a holiday let before arrival for about 6 weeks, gives you breathing space with no bills....best to get a job or at least firm offers of interviews before you arrive...we came with bare minimum less than $5k and bought furniture, all 2nd hand plus 2 cars out of that....I started work 2 weeks in so we had cash coming in.....we paid for a 6 week rental prior to coming so didn't have to find those costs

Money is useful to pay for start up but the real question is whether or how soon you will find a job. No job = no income = problem, even if you come with heaps of savings. On the other hand, an income will let you set up even if you don't come over with lots of savings.

Money is useful to pay for start up but the real question is whether or how soon you will find a job. No job = no income = problem, even if you come with heaps of savings. On the other hand, an income will let you set up even if you don't come over with lots of savings.

This is the exact problem we have, it is soo hard to get jobs from uk, many companies seem reluctant to even go down the Skype interview route, so things are slower. We are now waiting to hear back about a job, currently in limbo, if job comes through relocation costs could be partly covered and things will be sweet. If no job we are considering going anyway in August, the only worry is how long it will take to get a job the big unknown which could be a make or break, ahhhh!!

This is the exact problem we have, it is soo hard to get jobs from uk, many companies seem reluctant to even go down the Skype interview route, so things are slower. We are now waiting to hear back about a job, currently in limbo, if job comes through relocation costs could be partly covered and things will be sweet. If no job we are considering going anyway in August, the only worry is how long it will take to get a job the big unknown which could be a make or break, ahhhh!!

You might be more appealing to employers if you make it clear that you already have a visa and are moving anyway and won't be looking for relocation costs. Well it worked for us anyway.

Archived