removers have said i cant take xmas decoration to oz is this true?

Guest T and family

Guest T and family

well the fake tree and decorations are up years of collecting and very treasured in the front room, crown have come in today and have said that i can take the tree but cant take over the decorations... ?? has anyone esle had this or got them through??? :sad:

I have never heard this before I had heard if you have an artificial tree with cones on you had to cut them off.

I to have been collecting decorations every year since my 18 year old was a baby have some precious ones that I can't replace i'm sure someone will tell us they are wrong....please someone tell us they are wrong :wideeyed:

We are using GBLiners to ship our stuff over and we are taking some of the decorations, we had a quote from crown first when we started getting quotes and they said decorations were fine and artificial tree was fine providing we cut the cones off so they are talking rubbish as i have the proof on our itinery from removals stating xmas decorations on it so i would have another word and tell them if they are not truthful with you then you will take your buisness elsewhere :jiggy:

Guest T and family

yipeeeee! will take them dont have any cones or dried fruit flowers woody things ... kids will be happy... funny what you get attached too....

cant take business elsewhere as its a company relocation....

anyone else?

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
We are using GBLiners to ship our stuff over and we are taking some of the decorations, we had a quote from crown first when we started getting quotes and they said decorations were fine and artificial tree was fine providing we cut the cones off so they are talking rubbish as i have the proof on our itinery from removals stating xmas decorations on it so i would have another word and tell them if they are not truthful with you then you will take your buisness elsewhere :jiggy:

I know someone who brought xmas decs over and ended up having to pay over 200GBP to get them thru customs. If i were you id leave the precious ones with rellies or wrap em up safely and put them in your case.....be warned nothing is as straightforward over here as you might expect,theres some downright mindboggling situations youll come across with aussie red tape...the things you think are fine are not and stuff you wouldnt dream of doing in UK is accepted with open arms here....all part of the learning curve.

Guest T and family

aaaahhhh .... no ...... :-(

suitcase cant fit even another pair of knickers in it... one case eash for 2 months is another worry never mind me baubles...lol :-)

Hiya

We had Crown in to pack last week and they were taking the p*** about the amount a Christmas trees and boxes of decs I had but they packed them anyway.

I went through them all and took out any cones, woody stuff, berries etc but I'm still expecting to get a bill from customs in January:shocked:. Oh well whats a few more hundred quid in the grand scheme of things lol.

Sam x

Guest SAINTHURLOCK
aaaahhhh .... no ...... :-(

suitcase cant fit even another pair of knickers in it... one case eash for 2 months is another worry never mind me baubles...lol :-)

too hot for knickers over here, its commando all the way down under ;0) chuck em out and stuff your baubles back in

Guest T and family

hmm could send hoping customs maybe to busy looking to see if ive j fluid cleaned the kids trampoline enough and billing us for that!

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Please se this link:

Moving/Emigrating to Australia - DAFF

The only reason I can see for Christmas decorations to be items of concern is if they are organic - eg pine cones. If they find any of those, they heat-treat them it seems, and bill you for the treatment I can't really think of anything else which is organic that might be in a container. After all, a holly wreath is not going to last till next Christmas, and if you try to dry something like mistletoe, I would imagine that it shrivels up (not that I've ever tried drying it!)

I think that if it were me, I would probably draw up a list of all the decorations I planned to take. I would then e-mail the list to AQIS and ask them whether they will be happy with it if it all goes in the container, I don't think it is reasonable to expect people to take pot luck about this.

Cheers

Gill

Guest T and family

none of my decs are organic have any wood bits dried anything and have only ever been on fake tree is apparenty is ok to ship! the mind boggles!!!!

Guest Paul EDGE

Hi

It Sounds As If This Crown Mob Are Having A Laaaaugh, As My In Laws Are Bringing Some Out To Us This Saturday As We Left Them Behind Last Year. Like You My Wife Had Been Collecting Them For Years But Unfortunately We Disposed Of Most Of Them At Boot Sales Stupid!!! As What You Can Buy Here Is Very Basic, Anyway Good Luck With The Move And Enjoy Your New Life

Hi

It Sounds As If This Crown Mob Are Having A Laaaaugh, As My In Laws Are Bringing Some Out To Us This Saturday As We Left Them Behind Last Year. Like You My Wife Had Been Collecting Them For Years But Unfortunately We Disposed Of Most Of Them At Boot Sales Stupid!!! As What You Can Buy Here Is Very Basic, Anyway Good Luck With The Move And Enjoy Your New Life

Paul,

I have just seen a Black Christmas tree in Tesco for £30, we still have some stuff to go with Crown on Friday.......Should I buy it for next year or can I get one in Oz?

Decisions Decisions........

Sam x

hmm could send hoping customs maybe to busy looking to see if ive j fluid cleaned the kids trampoline enough and billing us for that!

DON'T use jeyes fluid. Yes it gets things very nice and clean and when we had a quote from Crown this is what they recommended. But when I discussed this with the guy from John Mason he pointed out that jeyes fluid stinks and by the time your container gets to oz, everything else will stink too!!!! We used muc off - a pink spray that you can get from halfords to clean the garden stuff and it worked a treat and someone also recommended nature's natural cleaner - good old bicarbonate of soda paste and then rinsed off well.

Felicity:cute:

we came over with our christmas tree which was plastic and that was okay, however our christmas decorations that were made of wood, any cones and a reindeer which was made of willow along with a wicker basket were confiscated by quarantine in brisbane and we were'nt given the option of having them cleaned and then returned to us. When we queried this as to why this was not pointed out by our removl company in England, they informed that removal companies are'nt always aware of their rules!!!!!!!!

Hi guys, we used Crown they didnt put to much emphasis on Xmas Decs just make sure no cones etc. I didnt bring a tree but brought all my baubles etc I even brought a box of unopen christmas crackers lol.

No problems at all

Em x

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

My brain has been ginding VERY slowly today......

I'm still puzzling about why non-organic Chrstmas decorations should be considered to be a "item of concern."

Apart from pine cones and the like, the only other thing I can think of is that maybe they worry that decorations might have been in contact withthe organic foliage of a real Christmas tree?

But in that case, I'd be concerned about the contents of the hoover bag because that is where the wretched pine needles end up in my experience!

Cheers

Gill

Hi

We brought all of our decorations (in August with Whites) and they got through customs with no problems. Unfortunately, can't say the same for the rest of the container. They checked through so many of our boxes, no wonder it took as long to get cleared this end as it did to actually reach Oz! ( 5 weeks sailing time - same for customs this end).

Decs already up and looking festive!:yes:

Em x

Guest The Picketts

We had no problems with our consignment which included an artificial tree and all my Christmas ornaments/decorations. I did dispose of all those that were wooden or had anything organic in them by giving them away before leaving the UK. I typed up a list of all things that were questionable and attached it to our shipping documents for AQIS. The only things that were checked was the bicycle (new inner tubes/tyres attached), golf clubs which were steam cleaned and a tube which contained snooker cue. Even though I had listed christmas ornaments these were not examined, maybe we were just lucky. We did not have to have anything cleaned and we were not charged any additional costs. We also brought with us a new butler sink (expensive here) and glass topped gas hob (not available here! We had wicker chairs as well as a small amount of bamboo furniture, all of which went through ok and I had declared it. Our container came into Fremantle port and took just 6 1/2 weeks from door to door with Allied Pickfords.

Regards, Cheryl

Guest The Baggo's

We brought all christmas decs but were charged $198 at customs for them to be cleared?? Had no pine cones on etc. but were sentimental so wee paid. Everything else passed ok and took 6 weeks door to door - arrived before us!

Archived