Diabetes type 2 - how much for medication anyone know ???

wanda&wayne

Hi,

After 12 months of starting our application, hopefully we are nearly there ! we are just about to have our medicals and had a question about the cost of diabetic medication.

My husband is Type 2, which is controlled with metformin tablets. Over here although we pay for perscriptions, he is exempt because of the Diabetes.

Wondered if anyone knows the cost of buying them in Oz ? will we have to buy ? will this be covered in the medical insurance that i think we will have to take out (another query !).

it will be a normal prescrption cost if its under the pbs list approx $32.00 a script it wont be covered by your health insurance

if your hubby had diabites type 2 it will be classed as pre existing condition so look carefully into it as they often dont cover pre existing conditions or if they do there is a time frame before you can claim

Guest pablofet1
Hi,

After 12 months of starting our application, hopefully we are nearly there ! we are just about to have our medicals and had a question about the cost of diabetic medication.

My husband is Type 2, which is controlled with metformin tablets. Over here although we pay for perscriptions, he is exempt because of the Diabetes.

Wondered if anyone knows the cost of buying them in Oz ? will we have to buy ? will this be covered in the medical insurance that i think we will have to take out (another query !).

Hello wanda&wayne

I too am diabetic but i am type 1.

I have just been doing a bit of a search myself about how much it is going to cost us for my meds etc.

Take a look here www.pbs.gov.au it allows you to search a particular drug to get an idea of the maximum you would be expected to pay.

I must admit i was a little worried that i would be expected to pay $32 per script which over a month would turn out to be very expensive. However one of my insulins that i searched stated that on each script i would be given 6mths supply.

On the site it also mentioned that if you are a concession card holder your meds are even cheaper. I dont know if anyone else on PIO can shed any light on it..... in the meantime im off to search it out.

Hope this helps

Mel:biggrin:

Guest pablofet1
  • 1 month later...
Guest sarahmonies

I am a Type 2 diabetic on Diabex -XR 500mg tabs = metformin hydrochoride 500mg. Each pack of 90 costs $19.05. I get a 6 month supply prescription so 1 repeat as I take just one a day. You will get no discounts and the DSS scheme is good for the everyday parafanalia but drugs is different.

Good luck

Sarah:wink:

Archived