20 cubic foot container

cassy

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone could tell me roughly how much or what we could fit in a 20 cubic feet container.

We are trying to work out costs as to wether it will be cheaper to ship or buy in oz:arghh:

Thanks very much in advance.

Guest LovelyLady

Hi £5865 is the quote we have been given today (21.2.11) which includes the shipping of a car but not customs cleared/duties other end we have yet to find out what the duties on the car will be. This includes our furniture too. All our friends in Perth have advised us to bring what we can as the replacement costs are really expensive. Hope this helps.

I'd totally agree with lovelylady!

Replacement costs are very high in Australia, and think of all the work involved in a new country putting a house back together!!

We're heading back soon, and taking almost everything! My partner went over last November and changed a lot of the power sockets to UK three pin..saves putting adapters on everything..and as they breakdown he'll change the sockets back!

But I would take what you can!!

Rach

Guest chris955

It's really one of those 'how long is a piece of string' questions. You are supposed to be able to put the contents of an average 3 bedroom house in a 20 foot container. The problem is what is average ? What we are going to do when we head back to the UK is leave the stuff we really don't want until the end, if they don't fit then we leave them here, you could try the same that way you aren't really losing anything important.

Hi Chris995

Sounds like you guys are going for a while then returning? ..If that's the case aren't you best renting furnished..even though it's difficult?

We're not planning on returning so everything goes, well as much as we can take!!

I'd suggest getting a few quotes for shipping, we're doing that now..most companies will quote for free, and you'll get some idea from them what size can take what amount even if you don't use them, at least it'll give you a guideline?

We looked at loading our own container, and are as confused as you guys, as some suggest that packing company clearance helps with the time retrieving time the other end? which is quite a priority for us as the Australian house is sitting empty.

Rach

Guest chris955

No, we are returning to the UK for good. What I mean is if you think you have too much leave the stuff you can live without and if there is room when all the good stuff is packed then put the last bits in. We are packing our own container over a period of a week so we can take it easy and as I said leave what wont fit.

Hi Chris995

I see!! Well I think in that case you're probably right to leave anything you don't think's important!..I would, We found loads of stuff in cupboards that we hadn't touched for years!! just taking up space.

I'll stick my neck out here and say that you can get some pretty good bargains in the UK shops right now! We've bought a few things to take back to Australia (TV etc) as they are a lot cheaper here.

Why are you heading back?

Rach

Guest edwardsfamily

a full 20 ft was quoted to us as £3600 - £3800 by PSS and anglo pacific.

we are having a part container about 3 quarters and paying £3000

We've had a quote from Dolphin international at £2,835 service includes 20 ft container packing and all materials shipping delivery in Brisbane unpacking and clearance.

First Move International quoted £2,154 carry out the same service, but without the Brisbane part..Just to Brisbane docks. So you've still got to deal with the stuff the other end and drag it into the house and get rid of all the packaging.

The removals company will let you know how much of your stuff will fit in - get a few to quote.

DO de-clutter before they come though.

Having said that the estimator underestimated how good our packers were they fitted everything in no problem and we thought we may have to leave some things behind. As said before ask them to leave stuff you are happiest to leave behind till the end of the loading process.

They usually tell you 9-10 weeks for shipping a full container BUT it may not leave the uk for a week or so then has to clear customs so I would allow 13 weeks min. If you do get it earlier then great. Often you can track them online although we "lost" ours mid ocean! (it took 12.5 weeks door to door)

We had secured a 6 month unfurnished let and we simply hired a house pack till our stuff arrived.

Most people rent furnished til stuff arrives.

If you share a container it can take longer before it leaves the UK as they will need to fill it with other peoples things before shipping. One person reported this had taken 5 weeks before the container left the UK!

Also you can get cheaper insurance if you arrange it separately rather than through the removals company.

Guest edwardsfamily
Hi-I think I might have a similar amount to be shipped-who gave you a quote of £3000 for 3/4 of a container? i have PSS coming in tomorrow to quote and would like to have a bit of an idea before they arrive....

i am using PSS and it was their quote.

they are coming next monday to pack!

Guest chris955

Lots of different reasons for us, my wife has never wanted to live here and has only done so for me. Now I want to go back she is obviously happy about the decision. We just don't get a buzz living here anymore. We want to start a business which we can't do here, also we have many longterm friends back in the UK. Although I grew up here it just doesn't do it for me anymore. I love the access to Europe and other countries. Like I said many reasons really.

Good luck with your move.

Why are you heading back?

Rach

We've had a quote from Dolphin international at £2,835 service includes 20 ft container packing and all materials shipping delivery in Brisbane unpacking and clearance.

Oh my gosh we've had a quote today from Crown of £4599.00 for a full 20ft to Perth! :err:

This includes quarantine fees tho. Can I ask if the fees are included in your quote from Dolphin?

Guest chris955

The quotes vary enormously, sometimes they just hope you don't look at too many other places and accept their crazy quote. Quarantine costs aren't much, a couple of $100 I would guess if that.

Hi Harpersgirl

Do you know what...it's the one question I failed to ask..as I asked if that was the whole price that I pay with no hidden extra's...being it's door-door and we don't see the stuff until it turns up on our door..I'm assuming it is..but I don't know anyone who's paid more than a couple of hundred pounds...your quote seems very high!!

We told the shipping guys on the outset we have a very limited budget..wanted a 20 ft container picked up at our house and delivered at our house in Brisbane! They provide the packing guys because it's part of their business not as a favour to you! In order for them to ship your goods they need to have the stuff ready the day before the container arrives as 'they' not you, are on a tight schedule as these containers are booked at the docks with penalties for late arrivals at £60+ per hour...This goes with part of their business!

If you think that all you need is say a 20ft tell them..don't let them wool you about..My answer was ..The important stuff goes in first..then if it doesn't fit..leave it!!

I'm just paying for a container which takes as much as takes..not item by item costing!!

I'd say that seems more than I'd like to pay!!

Good Luck..and shop around!! and always google a company before using them..surprising what you find out!!

Rach

Hi Harpersgirl again!!

The only difference I can see..other then Brisbane/Perth is we live 30mins away from the company..so less travelling for them..but I would have thought any company worth using would have local depots?

Guest thesalmons

My sis-in-law and family have been in Perth for over 2 years now and I said that we dont want to bring any stuff over other than personal stuff. Like everyone else, she did say that bedding and cookware are very expensive. So we might have to re-think about what we are taking.

Hi

I can't vouch for them personally but a friend who returned to Sydney last year used them and didn't have any concerns..Which is very good for her!!

I think being a little tough with the freight guys and choose wisely..ask lots of questions it's all your worldly possessions they are carrying!!

As I say my opening line was ...I only have £3,000 in my budget and that's the very top end..I need a 20ft container going from A-B ..I'm happy to prepare all the goods for transport but can't spend anymore than that!! you'd be surprised how much they will bend..but be careful!!

One company quoted £3,400 but could be higher and company policy was not to fix a price! So I said I'd call them back as I had other calls to make..2 hours later they called me and I told them they had already been ruled out as much cheaper quotes were coming in...He asked me if I could fax him the quotes, he could match them, but he would have to see them? ...ODD? I asked how he could match a price fixed quote when the quotes his company gave were subject to change...a few stutters later he said call me if you need advice?

Just be careful ..And just because you need to do something and others know this...it doesn't give them the right to dip deep into your pockets...Tell them what you have..have no more..and what you need..they want your cash they'll bend!!

GRrrrrr:smile:

Rach

Hi

I can't vouch for them personally but a friend who returned to Sydney last year used them and didn't have any concerns..Which is very good for her!!

I think being a little tough with the freight guys and choose wisely..ask lots of questions it's all your worldly possessions they are carrying!!

As I say my opening line was ...I only have £3,000 in my budget and that's the very top end..I need a 20ft container going from A-B ..I'm happy to prepare all the goods for transport but can't spend anymore than that!! you'd be surprised how much they will bend..but be careful!!

One company quoted £3,400 but could be higher and company policy was not to fix a price! So I said I'd call them back as I had other calls to make..2 hours later they called me and I told them they had already been ruled out as much cheaper quotes were coming in...He asked me if I could fax him the quotes, he could match them, but he would have to see them? ...ODD? I asked how he could match a price fixed quote when the quotes his company gave were subject to change...a few stutters later he said call me if you need advice?

Just be careful ..And just because you need to do something and others know this...it doesn't give them the right to dip deep into your pockets...Tell them what you have..have no more..and what you need..they want your cash they'll bend!!

GRrrrrr:smile:

Rach

Many thanks for that. The quote this morning was my first experience. The guy wandered around, didn't measure anything, glanced in a few cupboards and then said it was 706 cu ft.!!! I would have much more impressed had he said around 700 rather than to give that precise figure after a cursory glance. Still, 2 more quotes to go this week and I think I'll try Dolphin as well

I'm also thinking about taking my car but that's a whole saga in itself-not sure I'm strong enough for that challenge

Hi Fiz

We have cars in Australia, but if we didn't I'd take ours! My partner was over late last year and bought a ute as we're carrying out renovations..It made him laugh when he spent quite a few dollars and said he thought the car he'd bought was the one he scrapped in the UK ten years ago!!

Cars are expensive..just look into the paperwork involved first..always a good place to start..make sure it's ok prior to leaving the UK ..I think it'll need retesting there, well at very least a 'road worthy certificate' (RWC) before you can register it..In Australia unlike here even though a car has say 7 months MOT, you still need to get an (RWC) to register it as an owner, I think the law (and I think as HE deals with most of that!!) say's you cannot sell a car without an (RWC) other than for scrap, you can buy a car without an (RWC) but you need one to register ownership..I don't think you can put a car for sale sign in your car window without a current (RWC)! and I think they last a few months...I'm probably wrong as I know nothing about cars..but a few guys are planning to take theirs too, so this may prompt a discussion!!! maybe:eek:

Rach:smile::smile:

Thanks for that Rach.

I was aware that Crown could be expensive but have to say that quote blew my (not too mention hubby's! :wideeyed:) socks off!

Its only the second quote with the first being £3750 and I have Anglo coming tomoro but I think I'll also get John Mason, Pickfords and now Dolphin.

We are on a very limited budget and this has been explained. Ah well no one ever said moving your life to the other side of the world was going to be cheap eh :nah:

Will all be worth it when we're there tho! :notworthy:

Archived