How to enrol for schools in Queensland

THORPES

I was not sure what title to write.

We are flying out to Australia on 25th January 2009. We are unsure were we want to settle.

After researching on the internet, I like Mountain Creek, Buderim, Caloundra and surrounding areas on the Sunshine Coast and Pacific Pines, Ormeu and surrounding on the Gold Coast.

We are not sure were we will settle until we have had a look and seen what the areas and the job prospects that available.

When we have decided on an area, do we then telephone schools? Or should I be getting into contact with some now?:confused:

I just dont know what to do. Its all very confusing. Also I dont drive (as yet) so will need to live within walking distance to a school. Should we check if a certain school has places before securing a rental?

I think my eldest will be in high school and youngest in primary.

Sorry if it reads a bit confusing but it's all coming from my very tired and stressed little brain.

Thanks

Jill

xxx:wacko:

Guest hartleys

Hi Jill

Its probably best to wait until you get there if your not sure on a specific area. I think its similar to here with catchment areas unless you choose a private school. Ive already enroled Jess which was really easy to do, filled a form in sent $50 deposit and got a confimation email back a week later. Saying this it is a private school and we know which area we are heading to.

Good luck

Lisa x

There's not much point in approaching schools unless you have an address. Dont worry about there not being places because government schools are obliged to find a spot for a child in their priority enrolment area. However if you want a spot in a school which is out of area then you may have some difficulties as that is a matter of negotiation and available space. The sooner you make the decision the better really as they are just tweaking class placements at the beginning of the year. As Lisa said though, if you want a private school you can do it now (there is a strong Catholic system along side the government one for example)

Hi,

As already mentioned you will need to have a permanent address before you can enrol. We found that schools are very strict about catchment areas and where there boundaries lie. We also had to attend an interview with the Principal before our girls could start and we had to take our rental agreement and show our visa's.

Good luck with the search!

Kat

x

• 4 weeks later...

hope you dont mind me butting in!! i am moving from adelaide to gold coast in jan09 also having said i would never ever ever move again!!!!!!!!! anyway looking at pacific pines and would like a to look at private school for my 11 year old, any ideas??? i am seriously outa of them all!!!! help!!!! also does anyone know what primary pacific pines schools are like, an high school for that matter

thanks ju

oh and jill, if you decide on the gold coast we could meet, eat and panic together over our childrens education or possible lack of it for a while!!! lol ju

hope you dont mind me butting in!! i am moving from adelaide to gold coast in jan09 also having said i would never ever ever move again!!!!!!!!! anyway looking at pacific pines and would like a to look at private school for my 11 year old, any ideas??? i am seriously outa of them all!!!! help!!!! also does anyone know what primary pacific pines schools are like, an high school for that matter

thanks ju

Jubilee is a private primary church school on Pacific Pines. There's AB Paterson in Arundel, but you may struggle to get a place from what I've heard. My friend's son is going to TSS, The Southport School, next year, also private, and supposed to be very good.

My 5 year old is going to Park Lake state school in January, which is at the edge of Pacific Pines, and all I've heard of it is good; may be worth a look? Only been built just over a year ago, so new equipment, buildings etc.

No idea about high schools I'm afraid! We're at Park Lake, which is next to Pac Pines. Drop us a line if you need to know anything, will try to help.

Jo :emoticon-signxmas:

Jubilee is a private primary church school on Pacific Pines. There's AB Paterson in Arundel, but you may struggle to get a place from what I've heard. My friend's son is going to TSS, The Southport School, next year, also private, and supposed to be very good.

My 5 year old is going to Park Lake state school in January, which is at the edge of Pacific Pines, and all I've heard of it is good; may be worth a look? Only been built just over a year ago, so new equipment, buildings etc.

No idea about high schools I'm afraid! We're at Park Lake, which is next to Pac Pines. Drop us a line if you need to know anything, will try to help.

Jo :emoticon-signxmas:

hi jo

many thanks to your reply, never heard of park lake surburb so will look it up and do you know if there are catchment requirements. I love my kids but they are making this move very complicated lol!!! coupled with my mom and dad arriving anyday, sorting out jobs and looking for rented when everything will close down for christmas id say i am remarkably calm......not...!!!!!!

pray we are are doing the right thing, fingers crossed!!

julie :wacko:

Archived