Rental / arrival advice please!

gambale

Hey all,

So I've got my visa's, secured a job, booked flights and heading out in January with the wife and kids. :)

I was hoping for some advice... We want to rent initially. However I'm a little confused. My understanding is that we will need to book some temporary accommodation (holiday let) for when we arrive before finding a long term rental... and I need to get that sorted now! But my question is, how long should we book the temporary accommodation for? I don't want to waste all that money if I can rent quickly.. but I'm also reading online that when renting you need 3 months payslips??

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Usually its 3-4 weeks in a short term furnished. This gives you time to check areas out, schools etc and hopefully find somewhere.

And you don't always need 3 months payslips. Having proof of funds (savings) or paying a few months rent up front can be done (at least in my state).

One thing you've not allowed for is that January is school summer holidays and many of the short term rentals are booked out months ahead. Depending on where you are heading, you may find that an issue. Air Bnb and other things might come in handy then.

Edited by Guest
eta

3 to 4 weeks is about the norm for temporary/ short term accommodation, especially if your not familiar with areas and need to find one you all like. Just have all paperwork ready to submitt with rental applications when you view longer term lets and you should find one within that 4 weeks.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

My understanding is that we will need to book some temporary accommodation (holiday let) for when we arrive before finding a long term rental... how long should we book the temporary accommodation for? I don't want to waste all that money if I can rent quickly

Speaking from my own experiences. I initially booked into temporary accommodation for three weeks. Paid for three weeks up front. Ended up staying there six months!

Each week I would just book in for another week, and pay one week in advance, and so on.

Took me six months of looking to find a really good rental.

Hopefully you won't be as fussy, and will find somewhere a LOT quicker :laugh:

I stayed in a place called St Leonards Mansions in St Leonards NSW. Well not the greatest place by any means. But it served its purpose, and was a good place to explore from. About 15 mins on the train to Sydney CBD.

So maybe book in for three weeks and take it from there.

Edited by wigglingwombat

Hi Gambale,

WHich city are you coming to?

There is a lot of stock available immediately in Perth but Sydney (& probably Melbourne) will take longer (3-4 weeks after your application is accepted. You know that the vast majority of rentals in Aus are unfurnished? Are you shipping stuff over or buying when you get here. If you're shipping stuff it generally takes 10-12 weeks to arrive.

Worth booking a furnished airbnb for a month somewhere central for 3-4 weeks to give yourself some breathing space.