10 Years ,wow, time flies !

calNgary

We have just had our 10 year anniversary of moving to Brisbane. In a way time has flown and everything feels like 'the norm', yet on the flip side it sometimes feels like we have only been here 2 minutes. We did strike lucky in choosing an area we liked straight away,as this can be a stressful time when you arrive but 10 years on and we are still in the same suburb, it ticks our boxes..So here are my findings and a few tips for those about to make the move.

Migrating is certainly a learning curve and even after being here so long i still come across things i didn't know. Its quite a good experience if your open minded and willing to give things a go although it can get frustrating at times as there really are some silly rules and red tape over here. I think one of the hardest things as a new migrant to get my head around was Medicare, Dr's and Hospitals, it seemed such a strange system to the one i had grown up with but once i got the hang of it i think the Medicare system is fantastic,hence we have not taken out private insurance despite me having a medical condition that requires regular checking.

Job wise all i can say is dont expect to hop off a plane and pick up where you left off. You are the migrant, the new arrival in a country with different ways of doing things. Lots of places will expect you to proove yourself and walk the walk, which often means starting at the bottom and working your way up. I know lots of poms this has happened too and most end up in some sort of supervisor position before too long, sometimes you just have to hang on in there and don't fall at the first hurdle.

The aussies are overall a friendly, helpful bunch.Of course you will probably come across the odd arrogant arse as you would anywhere but i have found most are very understanding and somewhat intrigued of our situation and will help if needed. When we arrived the kids were 3 and 8 and making friends with their friends parents was a godsend in many ways. They gave us 'Aussie' tips, local knowledge and more than anything included us in things ,knowing we had no family here. Some of my closest friends i met when my now 13 yr old was in Kindy. Play dates are a great way of meeting people be it attending one or arranging one, smile and put yourself out there and people will smile back.

Schools, i dont think are better or worse, they are just different to what we know and grew up with. My son did 3 years UK education my daughter only Aussie education. Being Northern i found it really hard to help my daughter with her homework as pronounciation etc is so different and they are taught different ways to how my son was taught back in the UK. My son was a PITA and suspended quite a lot,by the skin of his neck he managed to graduate Yr 12, my daughter is never in trouble,an A student and school captain ! Chalk and cheese and same schools. My son started a school based apprentiship in YR 10 and this led to his full time job, albeit with another employer on leaving Yr 12. He has had a Saturday job from being 13.

For families ,QLD is amazing, i am yet to find a more family friendly place. The weather is great and the amount of things to do with kids is unreal, the bonus is most of its free. The public playgrounds, BBQs, parks,cycle tracks, beaches, water parks etc are endless. Its a great excuse for exploring just trying to visit as many as you can. Just make sure if your out of an evening you have mossie repellant, the mossies are a big downside to enjoying the outdoors here, but there are lots of repellants out there from candles, to wrist bands, to spray and some suburbs are worse than others.

Overall i think we have done pretty darn well over the time we have been here, and even though there have been up's and down's and even some teary tantrum ' want to go home' moments in those first few years ,i am glad we stayed and worked through the crappy times as you can sure have a pretty good lifestyle once your settled and established here.

So here's sending lots of luck to anyone moving over shortly, if your headed to SE Qld you really have picked a lovely location. Just get out and explore and if your like me,you will be in awe at how suburbs change so much over such a short distance in this amazing State.

Cal x

What a nice post Cal :)

After months of planning and organising we are finally getting on a plane to Brisbane next week!!! I can not explain how many different emotions there are in my head right now, it still does not feel real and I have to pinch myself every morning to make sure it is not just a dream...No doubt there are some difficult times ahead of us, but as you said -if you are open minded and willing to give things a go- Australia is a great place to be and bring up a family... so thank you for your positiveness and fingers crossed things work out for us :)

All the best xx

Yeah what a lovely post!

I get what you mean with the "I wanna go home" tantrums. I think that in the "post move pom" experience, bit like paying your electric bill "Ohhh, must have moan have aussie weather" ;)

I actually have a "moan day" once a month so i can get it all off my chest and its like a spa day, i feel so much better after! I do still miss primark thou :(

It is a complete life shuffle to get used to. Kids adapt easy and yours seem to be doing very well! :D

Its strange in a way of how we're in complete opposite states but life is so different in darwin compared to QLD. It's so hot here we have to have early play dates/outtings/water park visits then make the most from 5 onwards as its too hot. QLD just sounds nice all day round. :D

Life is what you make it where ever you are.......even if it includes kit kats on the shower head

xxx

HaHa ,we went back to the UK this year for the first time since we left, i had told my daughter all about Primark and a few other shops that id been missing, so the day after we landed we hit the shops big time.. What a dissapointment!!! Primark was crap quality and not as cheap as it used to be, sports soccer on the other hand was great, just like i remembered so we stocked up there on trainers, socks and 'hot pant' style Nike training shorts my DD uses for Gym.

I was a little worried about going back after so long as my eldest was 17 and when we moved over here he said he would go back when he was 18 so i was dreading him saying he wanting to leave Aus. Thankfully he had no such deire and actually said '' it makes you realise how lucky we are to live where we do''.

Cal x

We have just had our 10 year anniversary of moving to Brisbane. In a way time has flown and everything feels like 'the norm', yet on the flip side it sometimes feels like we have only been here 2 minutes. We did strike lucky in choosing an area we liked straight away,as this can be a stressful time when you arrive but 10 years on and we are still in the same suburb, it ticks our boxes..So here are my findings and a few tips for those about to make the move.....

Cal x

Good for you girl. Pour yourself a big glass of something - you deserve it!

B

We have just had our 10 year anniversary of moving to Brisbane. In a way time has flown and everything feels like 'the norm', yet on the flip side it sometimes feels like we have only been here 2 minutes. We did strike lucky in choosing an area we liked straight away,as this can be a stressful time when you arrive but 10 years on and we are still in the same suburb, it ticks our boxes..So here are my findings and a few tips for those about to make the move.

Migrating is certainly a learning curve and even after being here so long i still come across things i didn't know. Its quite a good experience if your open minded and willing to give things a go although it can get frustrating at times as there really are some silly rules and red tape over here. I think one of the hardest things as a new migrant to get my head around was Medicare, Dr's and Hospitals, it seemed such a strange system to the one i had grown up with but once i got the hang of it i think the Medicare system is fantastic,hence we have not taken out private insurance despite me having a medical condition that requires regular checking.

Job wise all i can say is dont expect to hop off a plane and pick up where you left off. You are the migrant, the new arrival in a country with different ways of doing things. Lots of places will expect you to proove yourself and walk the walk, which often means starting at the bottom and working your way up. I know lots of poms this has happened too and most end up in some sort of supervisor position before too long, sometimes you just have to hang on in there and don't fall at the first hurdle.

The aussies are overall a friendly, helpful bunch.Of course you will probably come across the odd arrogant arse as you would anywhere but i have found most are very understanding and somewhat intrigued of our situation and will help if needed. When we arrived the kids were 3 and 8 and making friends with their friends parents was a godsend in many ways. They gave us 'Aussie' tips, local knowledge and more than anything included us in things ,knowing we had no family here. Some of my closest friends i met when my now 13 yr old was in Kindy. Play dates are a great way of meeting people be it attending one or arranging one, smile and put yourself out there and people will smile back.

Schools, i dont think are better or worse, they are just different to what we know and grew up with. My son did 3 years UK education my daughter only Aussie education. Being Northern i found it really hard to help my daughter with her homework as pronounciation etc is so different and they are taught different ways to how my son was taught back in the UK. My son was a PITA and suspended quite a lot,by the skin of his neck he managed to graduate Yr 12, my daughter is never in trouble,an A student and school captain ! Chalk and cheese and same schools. My son started a school based apprentiship in YR 10 and this led to his full time job, albeit with another employer on leaving Yr 12. He has had a Saturday job from being 13.

For families ,QLD is amazing, i am yet to find a more family friendly place. The weather is great and the amount of things to do with kids is unreal, the bonus is most of its free. The public playgrounds, BBQs, parks,cycle tracks, beaches, water parks etc are endless. Its a great excuse for exploring just trying to visit as many as you can. Just make sure if your out of an evening you have mossie repellant, the mossies are a big downside to enjoying the outdoors here, but there are lots of repellants out there from candles, to wrist bands, to spray and some suburbs are worse than others.

Overall i think we have done pretty darn well over the time we have been here, and even though there have been up's and down's and even some teary tantrum ' want to go home' moments in those first few years ,i am glad we stayed and worked through the crappy times as you can sure have a pretty good lifestyle once your settled and established here.

So here's sending lots of luck to anyone moving over shortly, if your headed to SE Qld you really have picked a lovely location. Just get out and explore and if your like me,you will be in awe at how suburbs change so much over such a short distance in this amazing State.

Cal x

Congrats - we would be 10 years too ....... if we had not given in to the family and friends 'ping' last year - but we will be 'ponging' back again next year to continue our journey.

What suburb do you live in and why is it so nice just as a matter of interest ?

Congrats - we would be 10 years too ....... if we had not given in to the family and friends 'ping' last year - but we will be 'ponging' back again next year to continue our journey.

What suburb do you live in and why is it so nice just as a matter of interest ?

Hi we live in Flagstone, Jimboomba. It is just a great place for us.When we first drove on the estate back in 2006 it just felt 'right'.. Half way between Brisbane and Gold Coast so we can be at either in less than an hour. Its a semi rural area so property cheaper, people friendly and watch out for each other, all ammenities on hand and overall pretty quiet with very little crime.

Lots of luck with your return, i hope it all goes well for you.

Cal x

• 3 weeks later...