Advice needed! 190 visa in WA or 457 visa in Victoria?

Beanigan

I have a condundrum..... our family live in Melbourne and we're in the UK. Ideally, we would like to migrate to Melbourne. However after speaking with an Migration Agent I have been advised that, as my skills is on the Consolidated skills list, then the only state sponsering this skill is WA and only if I have a job offer. My husband's job is not on the skill shortage list. We have 2 school age children (5 and 8 yrs). There may be a vague possibility of obtaining a 457 visa in Melbourne only if a hospital directly sponsers me. So do we intiitally go for the PR then move to Melbourne after 2 years (uprooting the children twice from friends and schools?) or do we risk going to Melbourne on a 457 visa, hoping that one day I may get a hospital to sponsper me to obtain PR? I'm not even sure that is possible given my skill is only on the consolidated skill shortage list. We're at the very start of the process and although we have spent a lot of time in Australia previously, have never visited WA! I appreciate any help anyone can offer...

I'd always recommend to go for the permanent residency every time. You only have a 'moral obligation' to reside in the sponsoring state.

But in your case, you need a job offer from a WA employer, so I can see your dilemma.

To try to give you some balance, the 457 is only a temporary visa and doesn't alway lead to permanent residency, although it can do. The other disadvantage is that if for some reason you don't like the job or you lose the job for any reason then you'll lose your visa and be uprooting the family for a move back to the uk, unless you can find another sponsor. Also, you may be liable for school fees and will have no access to any public funding.

With the 190, it's a permanent visa from the outset. Even if you don't like the employer or the employer doesn't like you then you are still a permanent resident and will be entitled to stay and move wherever you want. You'll have some limited access to public funding, and also will be eligible to get free or resident rate school fees.

We came over on a 457, we now have PR and in 11 days I will be a citizen :wink: However, the journey was hard and if someone had offered me a permanent visa I would have ripped their hand off! Go to Perth! Enjoy it for what it is and you never know you may come to love it and not want to move to Victoria.

Thank you both for your very very helpful advice! The migration agent did say that I didn't have to take the job, only get the offer. Does that also mean that I don't actually have to live in Perth? How is that enforced? What are resident rate school fees? I assumed as a Permanent resident that we would be entitled to free state school fees... am I incorrect ? And congratulations Isabelj28 on your forthcoming citizenship!

Thank you both for your very very helpful advice! The migration agent did say that I didn't have to take the job, only get the offer. Does that also mean that I don't actually have to live in Perth? How is that enforced? What are resident rate school fees? I assumed as a Permanent resident that we would be entitled to free state school fees... am I incorrect ? And congratulations Isabelj28 on your forthcoming citizenship!

It isn't enforced on the 190 visa at all, it's just a moral obligation. You can move if you want and nobody will be any the wiser.

Not 100% sure of the school fees rules specifically for WA or VIC, the rules are set by the state. Someone with more experience in those states may be able to give you more specifics.

Edited by CaptainC

Go for the 190 every time. A 457 has advantages if you are just looking for a short-term adventure, but if you know it's what you want and you have the chance to go for a perm visa, grab it while you can!

The 457 is just a temp job. If you get there and don't like the job, tough - you can't leave, because then you'd have to leave the country. If there are cutbacks and your job is gone - you'll have to leave the country. You do get 90 days to organise your move (!).

You've also got NO guarantee that you'll be able to get a permanent visa out of it. Many do, but equally many fail. The thing is, your employer can make the promise but it has no legal value - if business isn't doing so well and they don't need you, then the promise will disappear.

As others have said, the 190 has a moral obligation to work in WA, not a legal one.

Edited by Marisawright

I'm an ODP (operating department practitioner) so can only apply for Anaesthetic Technician positions. There are currently positions advertised in Perth hospitals..... I understand though that Perth may be going through difficult times. My husband already has a position in the Middle East, (6 weeks out and back), and he could still continue with that position but travel to Oz instead of the UK on his leave, so we'd have a regular income until he could find a position in Perth (he's a Paramedic). I could also apply to a nursing agency and obtain the 190 as a casual worker filling in shifts where needed in hospitals. So are you saying that there is currently no employment to public hospitals at all? Does the school fee only apply to temp visa holders or everyone?

I'm an ODP (operating department practitioner) so can only apply for Anaesthetic Technician positions. There are currently positions advertised in Perth hospitals..... I understand though that Perth may be going through difficult times. My husband already has a position in the Middle East, (6 weeks out and back), and he could still continue with that position but travel to Oz instead of the UK on his leave, so we'd have a regular income until he could find a position in Perth (he's a Paramedic). I could also apply to a nursing agency and obtain the 190 as a casual worker filling in shifts where needed in hospitals. So are you saying that there is currently no employment to public hospitals at all? Does the school fee only apply to temp visa holders or everyone?

There is a freeze on all public health recruitment and some people have applied for redundancy.

There is a freeze on all public health recruitment and some people have applied for redundancy.

Its a 6 month freeze until June. We won't be applying before then, more likely a year! A lot can happen in that time... They'll need to employ hospital staff at some point, it's supply and demand!

Its a 6 month freeze until June. We won't be applying before then, more likely a year! A lot can happen in that time... They'll need to employ hospital staff at some point, it's supply and demand!

Apologies, you asked about employment in public hospitals and I replied regarding the freeze. You're right about the supply and demand - that's the problem at the moment, with activity based funding they're suggesting that hospitals are overstaffed for the level of activity and if positions are lost then people will need to be re-deployed into any suitable vacant positions. We currently can't advertise vacancies or employ on fixed term or casual contracts due to cost. It will be interesting to see just what positions become available on July 1st in view of staff being able to apply for voluntary redundancy.

Thank you, I appreciate the information. I guess there are always private hospitals but then again there will be now a lot of applications for each job. I'll speak to the agent and see what he suggests. Maybe we should put the whole application on hold until things become clearer in the job market.... Thanks again for the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by CaptainC
Corrected the Autocorrect