Wot happens when your passport runs out in Oz??????

Guest jonseywife

Guest jonseywife

Just thought of yet another problem .......

I wondered if any of you clever peeps knew what you have to do, if your passport runs out when your actually out in Oz?????

Me and hubby's are still valid for another 7 years, but just noticed all the kids run out in 2 years time!!!!!!

Will that mean I have to send them back ........ the kids I mean, not the passports! :biglaugh:

I asked this on another thread as mine will run out before I'm there long enough to take up citizenship. I presume you can send off to UK for new one or could it be done via UK embassey in Oz? I'm sure some fountain of knowledge will help us

Guest billy braveheart

Our agent told us not to worry about it as ours runs out in a year she said it is done quickly and easily from the uk embassy in oz

Hope that helps you

Billy

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi all

You just send the application to the British High Commission in Canberra.

Cheers

Gill

I wondered if any of you clever peeps knew what you have to do, if your passport runs out when your actually out in Oz?????

Your permanent visas (assuming that's what you have) are valid even if your passports expire while you are physically present in Australia.

You don't become an illegal immigrant just because your passport has expired, if your permanent visa is still valid. A permanent visa remains valid indefinitely so long as the holder has entered Australia while the permanent visa's reentry facility is valid.

See: http://www.ptlabs.com.au/visas/faq.php#rrv005

However, if you need to travel, you should get a new passport from the British High Commission in Canberra if you're in Australia.

Peter

Guest Gollywobbler

Plus a Resident Return visa if you should need one.

I will leave Peter to describe RRVs. Hi e is miles better at this stuff than I am.

Cheers

Gill

Plus a Resident Return visa if you should need one.

Hi Gill,

If your visa is still valid but is in an expired passport, you don't really need an RRV to travel in/out of Australia. All you need is a valid passport and the old passport with the valid visa. Or, you can get DIAC to re-evidence the valid migrant visa into your new passport.

If your visa has expired and your passport has expired and you're in Australia, you'll need to get a new passport and a RRV if you're not already an Australian citizen. This is only necessary if you wish to preserve your Australian permanent resident status - there's nothing stopping you from leaving Australia without an RRV and returning as a tourist on an ETA if that's what you prefer :)

Peter

Guest dunnarunna

thanks for posting that sally

i tried asking that question on another site , as hubby has 2 years on his & kids have 4(so all will run out before visa expires) but had no answer. Just wanted to know if they were easy enough to renew in oz & now i do.

but another thing is do you need a valid british passport or just valid visa to apply for citizenship in oz, because surely if you become a citizen you`ll have an oz one or do you get a duel one? Anyone know?????

thanks

donna

thanks for posting that sally

i tried asking that question on another site , as hubby has 2 years on his & kids have 4(so all will run out before visa expires) but had no answer. Just wanted to know if they were easy enough to renew in oz & now i do.

but another thing is do you need a valid british passport or just valid visa to apply for citizenship in oz, because surely if you become a citizen you`ll have an oz one or do you get a duel one?

Renewal of British passports: http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/passportsdefault.asp?id=79

Sorry, I'm not British, so can't help much more than this.

To apply for Australian citizenship, all you need is evidence of your permanent residence, proof of identity and the passport that you originally used to enter Australia (if available). Proof of permanent residence is usually your visa label. You don't need a valid British passport to apply for Australian citizenship - Australian citizenship is available to any and all nationalities so long as you qualify :)

If you are an Australian citizen and British citizen, you are known as a "dual citizen" - note that there's no such thing as a dual passport. Whenever you travel in and out of Australia, you are an Australian citizen only and are required to show proof of Australian citizenship, usually by way of an Australian passport or an Australian Declaratory Visa (ADV) if eligible. You do not need to use your Australian passport when entering/leaving another country if you have an alternative passport to use. So in theory, your Australian passport may well be left in pristine condition if you always use your British passport overseas - Australian Customs never stamps Australian passports at the points of entry.

Peter

I think if your passport runs out then you should get to stay there hehehehehe, chance would be a fine thing lmfao

A permanent visa continues to be valid even if the passport expires while in Australia. You won't be able to travel out of Australia though...

Peter

Guest dunnarunna

thanks for that peter

thats good to know, hubby was worring, wanted to get a new passport before we left but i didnt want him to lose the 2 years if it wasnt necessary.

donna

Guest jonseywife

Thanks for the replies..... That's ONE less thing to worry about now!!!! I knew someone clever would be able to help!!!! Wot a great lot you all are.....:notworthy:

I think if your passport runs out then you should get to stay there hehehehehe, :

If only it were that easy Lynne........... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

my friend has just had her visa agreed but as two of the passports run out in 2 years they have requested that they get them renewed now and send the certified copies to australia before they leave uk so maybe best to do now so it doesnt hold you up.

Guest Abi&Dan

So you can maintain both a UK passport and an Oz passport?

With the visa people - if their UK passports run out before they can get an Oz one - if they send off their UK passport to the embassy don't they keep it? Do they just transfer the visa into the new passport - I know when I renewed my passport a couple of years ago they just kept the old one (and sending it in was part of the app)

Archived