Flapjack - foolproof recipe please

ozzbound

This is from a really old book so apologies no metric measures

4oz margarine

4 level tablespoons golden syrup

3oz granulated sugar

8 oz rolled oats

1/4 level teaspoon salt

Grease a square, shallow tin about 7 1/2 inches. Put margarine and syrup in a pan and leave over a low heat until margarine has melted. Remove from heat and add sugar, oats and salt, mix thoroughly

Turn mixutre into prepared tin and cook for 30 - 40 mins until golden brown (gas Mk 3)

Leave to cool for 5 mins then cup into bard.

Why not buy them from a shop , oh Mad Cow in the uk never cooked work stress and **** , micro meals etc , here she has now turned into a mongrel delia smith cross with keith floyd . She has got half the keith Floyd rip off pat and its not the cooking , she watches masterchef and all that , some is good ,but i dunt tell her case she gets cocky ,but last week watchin mc cookin steaks , let it rest for 20 mins , it was friggin clock cold , not a happy bunny , at least mallyiks curries are hot ,my bargees top drawer lmao

Lol ... I've got a touch of the Keith Flloyd ... pass the red wine. Did some pork chops off the masterchef website the other week and they were really nice ... Nige made brill stir fry in plum sauce off the back of a noodle packet tonight ... lack of convenience food here means more making it from scratch .. have to say you can tell the difference when you make the effort;.

Guest Gollywobbler
I left my cookbooks in the UK so used he internet to make Flapjack on two occasions and both times they did not bind it was like cereal!

Anyine with a good recipe :wub:??

Hi there

I've never made flapjacks.....which is ridiculous when you think how much they cost to buy compared to how simple they are to make. I love flapjacks and I keep porridge oats at home but I never do any baking so I don't have golden syrup in the cupboard. I'd probably make a total mess of flapjacks though I have it in mind to have a go at making a cheesecake sometime.

Apparently St Delia tests her draft recipes endlessly at her end - she gets her staff to try them and then there is an army of Mrs Bloggses who receive the draft recipes and test them etc. Between them, St Delia's Apostles do get rid of any glitches before a recipe is published, so I am told.

I've found a St Delia recipe for flapjacks here:

Whole Oat Flapjacks - Oats - Recipes - from Delia Online

I must admit, I'm not convinced that she is using enough golden syrup. I reckon that you might have to double the amount of golden syrup at least if you don't want the flapjacks to be dry, crumbly biscuits or simply slightly sticky cereal.

Cheers

Gill

Thanks for the recipes

Gollywobbler i too am convinced that not enough syrup is used - not that i am a good cook or anything but the previous times it said 4 tbsp of syrup and ended up not binding so might double it and just see what happens!

I did find that Woolworths/Safeway are now selling cakes and flapjack in catering size portions similar to the way Costco sell theirs in the UK... but they wanted $9.99 for 24 bitesize pieces of Flapjack :err:

I am TRYING to bake more, not through choice but due to lack of choice of cakes in supermarkets :wink:

Will have a go with Delia tomorrow and let you know how i get on x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest juliemtaylor

me too, love making flapjacks and I am so happy I brought all my cook books over.

Julie x

Archived