Real Men

Guest guest37336

Guest guest37336

Now before I start this thread I should make one point very clear. I am all for cleanliness, tidiness and when possible looking at your best. I have even been known to use moisteriser, and occasionally nicked my better half's conditioner when in the shower. I wash very regularly, comb my hair, shave (nearly every day) and I use a gel on my now balding crown, BUT, having said all this I would like to raise a concern I have, especially amongst those male members of the PIO community.

I went out today with better half and as you do had a coffee, etc, but at the far end of the mall was a threading bar. I had no idea what this was so asked the good lady. 'Apparently' it is a form of hair removal etc, that is a very skilled job. Two or so pieces of twine are used to remove hair or 'pluck' eyebrows. Duly informed I said to Ruth why doesn't she give it a go for her eyebrows as she was beginning to look like Denis Healy:biglaugh:.

Of she goes, I as normal when these 'lady' things are done disappeared outside for a ciggy. After about ten minutes I took a wander back inside only to see Ruth sitting down in a chair looking like she was being tortured with tears running down her face, after I stopped laughing I took a look around. I kid you not, there were seven seats available, and FIVE of these seats were taken by BLOKES. All of them around 17 - 22 years old. They were ALL having their eyebrows threaded/plucked. WTF is going on to our young men. It's not bad enough that I often see many young men preening themselves in Tesco's front windows.

Nine times out of ten they are making sure their hair is still in place and if not a scream of despair comes out as they reach for their hair spray and comb. I thought I had seen it all. But I reckon this plucking etc is a step too far. Where have all the real men gone, or rather is this 'normal' behaviour now amongst many a young man?

As I said, I am all for cleanliness etc, but when young men have their eyebrows threaded I fear for the future. What ever happened to a pair of scissors, a mirror, and pot luck that you snipped the right bits.

OK, so this is tongue in cheek, but I was genuinely shocked at what I saw today.:shocked:

Cheers Tony

Guest wayniexagt

ive gota agree with you mate ......... abloke who can change a spare wheel in under 5 mins to rescue a "damsel in distress" etc ..... and not worry about getting his new jeans dirty or breakin a nail..... ive got a mono brow and a hairy chest and back ........... and thats the way its stayin...... women like a bit of rough in a man .......

My hubby has a monobrow. I have offered to thread it for him (I thread my own eyebrows - much better than plucking), but he always politely declines and disappears in to the bathroom with a pair of scissors to give them and his nose hairs a trim! He is untidy most of the time. I have to remind him to get his hair cut (it turns in to a blonde afro if left too long) and I have to remind him him to use sunscreen. He is clean and always has a shave for work, but he isn't really that concerned about how he looks or what he wears. Suits me fine. I once dated a guy who had done some modelling, but he spent the whole time fiddling with his hair (on his head!) or pouting. Not attractive.

Know what you mean Tony - this is a new kind of thing with young men in recent years, it is called 'manscaping' and not everyone agrees that it is a good look. Mind you I do think men should look after their skin though, as shaving etc can make skin dry and uncomfortable, so there is some sense in that, it doesn't have to be done in what some men may call an 'unmanly' way. However, on morning TV the other morning I saw a makeup artist putting 'guyliner' on the eyes of a reporter and saying it was now becoming a bit more popular. I definitely say no to that one as a woman. Love a man to smell nice, but no eyeliner thanks !

For me, as long as a guy hasn't got one of those hairy backs, no manscaping (waxing) is required. :laugh:

I used to be an optometrist, so used to get fairly close to peoples eyes with a slit-lamp (a kind of microscope to magnify). It was surprising how many men do wear eyeliner or mascara.

I also went out with a fireman once. He had the hairiest back I have ever seen. Seriously, it was like a carpet! I would have gladly seen that waxed, I mean hairy is fine, but furry, not so much! I remember at the time wondering if it was a fire hazard :biglaugh:!

Guest guest37336
Know what you mean Tony - this is a new kind of thing with young men in recent years, it is called 'manscaping' and not everyone agrees that it is a good look. Mind you I do think men should look after their skin though, as shaving etc can make skin dry and uncomfortable, so there is some sense in that, it doesn't have to be done in what some men may call an 'unmanly' way. However, on morning TV the other morning I saw a makeup artist putting 'guyliner' on the eyes of a reporter and saying it was now becoming a bit more popular. I definitely say no to that one as a woman. Love a man to smell nice, but no eyeliner thanks !

For me, as long as a guy hasn't got one of those hairy backs, no manscaping (waxing) is required. :laugh:

Hi Olly.

My nearly seventeen year old daughter has loads of friends, male and female. And she tells me that this sort of thing is becoming more and more popular. Like I say, all for cleanliness, etc, but just wondering where it will stop. The funny thing is that the fellas I saw today didn't seem to have a care in the world, I guess it is just the norm. I feel self conscious asking for gel on my hair in the hairdressers if there is anyone else sitting down.:embarrassed:

I wouldn't class myself as old school either. I accept things change, they have to for a functioning society, but it is still a bit of a concern/strange.

I blame Boy George.:biglaugh:

I think the 'metrosexual', fashion loving, image conscious guys brought changes in the way people percieved how men can dress. My nephew went to a function the other day with a cream coloured suit on, lilac shirt and tie to match and the whole image going on, he loves fashion and is not 'unmanly' in any way.

Guest guest37336
I think the 'metrosexual', fashion loving, image conscious guys brought changes in the way people percieved how men can dress. My nephew went to a function the other day with a cream coloured suit on, lilac shirt and tie to match and the whole image going on, he loves fashion and is not 'unmanly' in any way.

I reckon it must be a generational thing Olly. I dare say I looked a right numpty in the seventies and eighties with my 'mullet' which I guess looking back I preened and fiddled with no end. I can just see my granddads face now, 'Holy God son, what the hell do you look like'. He was never one to mince his words was my Pop.

Times change I guess. But saying that I just hope my daughters never bring back a young man with a make up bag strapped to his belt.:biglaugh:

Guest guest30038

The psychobabblers reckon it's just a "toned down" throwback to when we used to use war paint and a sense of being part of a group. If that's the case, why did kids say in the 60's, "I just want to be different" when every man and his dog was growing their hair, wearing bell-bottoms and paisley shirts?

Meself, I think it's simply vanity. Too much emphasis on appearance...........possibly a form of insecurity where everyday grooming simply isn't enough to convince self that you are attractive to the opposite sex............and the bloody women are to blame too! I hear Josh's girlfriends talking and often they say why don't you do this with your hair? etc

Me? A shower twice a day, A number 4 haircut, and a pluck of me nose hairs........none of that cutting 'em for me..........a real man can stand the pain, and besides, the tears it brings to yer eyes make yer far more attractive to the opposite sex than a bit of mascara :biglaugh:

kev

LOL,, your wife is braver than me A380.lol

I also think they must be pretty ''real men'' to sit through the pain of having it done,,lol, i once remember me and my mate pinning hubby down and convincing him to let us pluck his eyebrows,, after the first one he was off like a shot ,,lol and we have never got tweasers near him again,,lol

Cal x

Guest Working to fish
I rekon real men wear KILTS with nae PANTS on?jist a thought:biglaugh:

Thats ok if thats what your into ,tbo sounds a bit gay to me :eek:

Guest guest30038
Thats ok if thats what your into ,tbo sounds a bit gay to me :eek:

You get dandruff on yer shoes as well! :biglaugh:

Guest Working to fish
You get dandruff on yer shoes as well! :biglaugh:

didnt get it 1st time i read it ,:biglaugh:lots of

Guest Working to fish
At the risk of being really old fashioned I agree. Woman should have smooth legs and plucked eyebrows men should be the exact opposite hairy chested and manly, well thats my preference anyway!:biggrin:

Cant stand hairy legs on ladies tbo ,even worse is stuck in throat:shocked:

Guest Aldo

A few years ago i was having a beer with a rather hard core villain, he had a hard cockney accent a boxers nose and looked like he was prone to the od punch up. Then i happened to look down and on the end of his JCB shovel hands where the most beautify manicured finger nails i'd ever seen!,, I asked him about this and he informed me that he has his nails done once a week.. he then showed me his equally well kempt toe nails.:wideeyed:

Guest Working to fish
A few years ago i was having a beer with a rather hard core villain, he had a hard cockney accent a boxers nose and looked like he was prone to the od punch up. Then i happened to look down and on the end of his JCB shovel hands where the most beautify manicured finger nails i'd ever seen!,, I asked him about this and he informed me that he has his nails done once a week.. he then showed me his equally well kempt toe nails.:wideeyed:

in bed ?

Guest Working to fish
in the jacuzzi:Randy-git:

(i was mummy)

:wideeyed:

thats ok ,did you then get out and cook and clean ?:wubclub:

ps

your mate is cool ,

Guest Aldo
thats ok ,did you then get out and cook and clean ?:wubclub:

ps

your mate is cool ,

after I got him a nice post coital cup a tea...

Rough trade Aldo, I think they call it in some circles !:biggrin:

Archived