Can 18 year old still go back to school?

Guest GillianM

Guest GillianM

Hi, were hoping to move to Melbourne June time if all goes to plan. My youngest is 14 and will go to school but my daughter is 18, 19 in December, can she go back for last year at school in Oz or is she too late. Can she go to college? and are all college courses expensive?:wubclub:

Gillian

Guest The Ropey HOFF
Hi, were hoping to move to Melbourne June time if all goes to plan. My youngest is 14 and will go to school but my daughter is 18, 19 in December, can she go back for last year at school in Oz or is she too late. Can she go to college? and are all college courses expensive?:wubclub:

Gillian

Hi Gillian,

my take on it is that you leave aged 18 in the year you become 18 from january to December, i might be wrong but it ends up i think lasting six months longer than the UK.

JIM.:wink:

Gillian

She would be silly to do that actually. It would be like going into the final term of A levels and expecting to do well.

Will she have her A levels? If so, she will be able to get into uni and probably will find that the grades she needs will be lower than she would have needed in UK.

When you say "College" what exactly do you mean? In Victoria, the High Schools go up to the end of year 12 which is when the kids get their qualifications which will be asked of them for most jobs.

We have universities which are akin to UK universities - and bear in mind that Australia is very much the land of the degree, unlike UK I suspect where other alternatives are more normal - it is becoming expected in Aus that unless you have a trade you will have a degree.

Then we have TAFEs which are post school options for further training and sometimes kids leave school and do a TAFE course which then gives them some credit for uni later on. She wouldnt need to have A levels for TAFE and she could in fact do her year 12 certificate at TAFE - because those assessments are often moderated with the cohort, she may not do as well as if she had done her VCSE at a school but she would need to start the course with kids who were just 16 or just about to turn 16. She can do a range of courses at TAFE and the fees vary according to the course SWTAFE - Fees and charges is a place to start for info on TAFE fees in Vic.

As the academic year starts in Feb and you will be arriving in June, I suggest sending her out to work so she can begin to save for her course fees although she might just squeak into a second semester TAFE course if she was desperate (they start in July)

Gillian

A variation on the same question, what is the latest age a child can enter high school, I would like mine to make some friends, I think it would make her transition into Australia a lot easier.

She would be silly to do that actually. It would be like going into the final term of A levels and expecting to do well.

Will she have her A levels? If so, she will be able to get into uni and probably will find that the grades she needs will be lower than she would have needed in UK.

When you say "College" what exactly do you mean? In Victoria, the High Schools go up to the end of year 12 which is when the kids get their qualifications which will be asked of them for most jobs.

We have universities which are akin to UK universities - and bear in mind that Australia is very much the land of the degree, unlike UK I suspect where other alternatives are more normal - it is becoming expected in Aus that unless you have a trade you will have a degree.

You will find the uk has been like that for some years ,even mackers require a michelin star lol

Then we have TAFEs which are post school options for further training and sometimes kids leave school and do a TAFE course which then gives them some credit for uni later on. She wouldnt need to have A levels for TAFE and she could in fact do her year 12 certificate at TAFE - because those assessments are often moderated with the cohort, she may not do as well as if she had done her VCSE at a school but she would need to start the course with kids who were just 16 or just about to turn 16. She can do a range of courses at TAFE and the fees vary according to the course SWTAFE - Fees and charges is a place to start for info on TAFE fees in Vic.

As the academic year starts in Feb and you will be arriving in June, I suggest sending her out to work so she can begin to save for her course fees although she might just squeak into a second semester TAFE course if she was desperate (they start in July

Guest GillianM

Metoo, yeah thats what i think and she would like. She says it okay for her wee sister cause she has school to make new friends but how is she going to make friends if she dosnt attend school? I told her i will be her friend when we get there lol.

Gillian

I think there is a difference YP. I see many posts on here from people who talk about their kids leaving school after GCSEs - the number of year 10 leavers (the equivalent) here is very small, very few kids would even think of doing it these days even if they could (with the leaving age up to 17 pretty much across the board now). There is also far more talk of diplomas and certificates from the UK folk coming here - of course there are diplomas and certificates here but they dont usually lead to high flying, high paying jobs - the degree is king here. And increasingly not just a degree but a masters or PhD or postgrad diploma.

A variation on the same question, what is the latest age a child can enter high school, I would like mine to make some friends, I think it would make her transition into Australia a lot easier.

In theory they could be 46 if they havent already done years 11 and 12 but the schools would look upon that a bit askance and would you want someone of that age mixing with nubile young 16 year olds. They dont like older kids because older students bring a whole lot of other social problems with them which they often find harder to manage.

I would say that a kid might just fit in if they were 17 beginning year 11 but any older than that and you would really want to look at TAFE. Not much point in making friends who are a good couple of years younger than you are in a school environment. She would be like a shag on a rock and it could have just the opposite effect of what you would like to happen.

let me rephrase the question, in the normal run of things, what is the oldest you can start year 11 in relation to the school year, birthday is 17 december, or how old is the oldest kid in their year at school

let me rephrase the question, in the normal run of things, what is the oldest you can start year 11 in relation to the school year, birthday is 17 december, or how old is the oldest kid in their year at school

Sorry, I was being flippant. In the normal run of things you would find a kid who turned 17 in December to be just OK going into year 11. They would be with kids who are turning 16 in the first few months of the year but the gap wouldnt be that wide - the next oldest would begin turning 17 in around April/May time. The school will usually encourage you to place with age peers but that can be fraught if she wants to go on to further study - and the best option is to do the full 2 year course

I dont know about Vic legislation but for a while the ACT legislation allowed for anyone who had not completed years 11 and 12 to be entitled to do those years in a school environment - it meant that we could potentially have people over 20 in schools. I think the legislation then got reviewed to make 21 the max age but schools would be very tetchy about enrolling 20 year olds in year 11 because of the vulnerability of the other kids.

Dont suppose there is any chance she could wait until she had done her A levels? That would be the most sensible course of action really - A level results travel well. She may get some credit if she has done AS level study - I dont know what credit Vic gives for equivalent study. She would be OK in ACT as it is totally continuous assessment but in VIc they have a partially examined curriculum which might disadvantage her.

Archived