New SOL - State Migration Arrangements

George Lombard

South Australia is the first stage to formally announce how it will manage the transition to the new SOL, see below:

Immigration South Australia

New Procedures for State Sponsorships

In February this year the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) announced, among other changes, that the Skilled Occupations List (SOL) will be reviewed. This new list of occupations will be released by DIAC at the end of April for implementation in mid 2010. It is therefore to follow that applicants whose occupations that are not to be included in the new SOL will need to have their visa applications lodged with DIAC before the implementation date of mid 2010 (an exact date for the implementation of the new SOL has not been released by DIAC at time of this update).

In anticipation of this, Immigration SA will be implementing the following procedure to assist applicants who wish to have their sponsorship applications/decision available in time to lodge their visa application with DIAC before the implementation date of the new SOL.

If you wish to have a decision on your sponsorship application before the new SOL is implemented by DIAC, you must comply with the following:

· Submit your full application as soon as possible.

· All Sponsorship applications must be lodged online AND all supporting documents registered at Immigration SA before 14 May 2010

· On 14 May 2010 the Sponsorship Online application system will be closed down for a short period of time – There will be no access to the system during this time. You will need to monitor the website.

· All applications will be assessed according to order of registration – no fast tracking for any reason

· Annual planning levels apply to all occupations on the Sponsorship List. Once the planning level has been reached for that occupation, the occupation will no longer be available for sponsorship for this financial year regardless of the date of online lodgement or registration. All remaining applications received for that occupation will be refused.

· Applications that are received after 14 May 2010 (when the system is switched back on) will be placed in the ‘queue’ for processing under the new SOL, unless the (sponsorship) planning levels are reached for that occupation.

· Sponsorship applications submitted and registered in the queue under the new SOL will be assessed in 4 – 8 weeks, according to current Visa and Sponsorship criteria at the time of assessment regardless of whether a visa application has been lodged with DIAC.

State Migration Plans (and any associated lists)

These requirements and arrangements may change when State Migration Plans (and any associated lists) are finalised and implemented. These are expected to be completed in the middle of 2010.

Occupations included in State Migration Plans, criteria, procedures will be published on this website when available.

Deadline: 14 May 2010

If your sponsorship application is not submitted online AND all the supporting documents registered at Immigration SA before 14 May 2010, your sponsorship application will not have a decision before July 2010.

If DIAC makes any significant changes to the implementation date of the new SOL, this may affect the 14 May 2010 deadline and subsequent temporary closing down of the Online application system.

Cheers,

George Lombard

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

Thank you very much indeed for today's update.

Some days ago, you suggested a new, "sticky" thread to deal with the various changes as the different States introduce them.

This thread saves me from thinking up a thread title so I'd suggest that we leave this thread "sticky" and just add to it as and when the other States say whatever each of them will say as the whole situation unfolds?

Cheers

Gill

Guest VickyMel

Thanks for making a SMP sticky Gill - I think we will be glued to it as info starts to come out on this subject.

I don't know whether it is worth merging this thread with the thread Kelly started on the 12th Feb aimed at news on the SMPs.

There are a few useful links in those posts - plus a few rumours :chatterbox: - but the news so far is that there have not been any announcements from any of the states that we know of.

Here is the link

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/78823-state-migration-plan-what-states-saying.html#post682477

I had hoped that some of the agents might have heard some gossip and let us in on it :wink: but maybe it is better for our sanity (what is left of it) that they haven't.

VickyMel

Guest Violet S

Hi George,

Thanks for the sharing. Just wonder do you know what will happen to SA applicants who received SS but the skill is no more in their state list?

Do we stand a chance to be processed by DIAC?

Thanks.

Violet

Hi Violet,

Anyone who applied before 8 February has not suffered any change to eligibility except the ducks and drakes going on with processing times. Applying after 8 February and until a date to be specified between 20 June and 1 July at the earliest but possibly later, all existing SOL occupations remain valid occupations. That is, you're in the clear :-) .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi Violet,

Anyone who applied before 8 February has not suffered any change to eligibility except the ducks and drakes going on with processing times. Applying after 8 February and until a date to be specified between 20 June and 1 July at the earliest but possibly later, all existing SOL occupations remain valid occupations. That is, you're in the clear :-) .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

The worry (well one of them anyway) is that the Minister has a preference for not giving prior warning of upcoming changes as that usually leads to a spike in applications. Comment made by Mr. Metcalf in Melbourn a few weeks ago. So your advice is very apt, act now or maybe loose the chance.

Guest Violet S
Hi Violet,

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George,

Thanks for the reply. Will this group of applicants fall into the cat 2 (SMP)? Or we will remain as where we are right now and wait for our turn at 2012?

Thanks.

Violet

• 3 weeks later...

Update Sunday evening. GSM suspension day 2.

WA has now blocked online applications but I would think you can still send them hard copy applications if you've previously completed the online form. To see the suspension see State Migration Centre and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

SA has also suspended offshore sponsorships with a prominently displayed warning at Make The Move :: Requirements for State sponsorship.

ACT - form is still loading.

Victoria - not loading as far as I can see.

The others are paper-based so business as usual I imagine.

I would expect all the states to consider freezing their programs in response to Friday's announcement. Best to get it in today if you can...

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest nitsy

Posted by crispysince70

Just seen this on the Tasmania goverment site

The Tasmanian Government will be suspending the assessment of applications for offshore Skilled Sponsored (SS) subclass 119 visas and Skilled Regional Sponsored (SRS) subclass 475 visas between Monday 31 May 2010 and Friday 3 July 2010. This suspension will take place whilst the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) undertake a review of their Skilled Occupations List (SOL). During this period the assessment of all other visa applications will remain unchanged.

:biggrin:TRA application submitted 22/1/10

TRA sucessfull 12/4/10 - SS for Tas applied for 14/4/2010 - still waiting - 176 applied for 28/4/2010 - waiting.....

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

I think that what the State Governments do from now on is likely to have a much greater impact on the future of GSM visas than the Minister for Immi currently imagines.

George Lombard has said in one of his posts on here that he phoned round the State Immi departments on Friday 7th May. He said that they were spitting nails because they had not been told anything about the suspension in in advance. Some of the bosses of the State Immi Depts were so angry with the Federal Government that they threatened to pull their own State Governments out of the business of sponsoring migrants for GSM visas, period.

People say a lot of things in the immediate aftermath of one of the Minister for Immi's annoucements. If I were on the Immi Committee of one of the State Govts, I would tell the furious Immi Boss, "Hang on. I can understand your fury completely but I don't think we should pull out of State sponsorship. Can we use the Minister's latest move to our own advantage instead? How about this idea: when we eventually see the crazy new SOL, you put every single other occupation that this State needs into our draft SMP. Then you send that to the Minister with a billet doux explaining that he can forget about trying to keep all the reins of power in Canberra via demanding "research" that he would no doubt find fault with. You tell him that if he does not approve the SMP as drawn with no arguments then this State will abandon the idea of offering State sponsorship to prospective migrants. If all the States pull together and present him with this promised fait accompli, he will see that it threatens all of his own ideas about the GSM program. Please phone the other bosses in the other States and see whether you can get them to join with us in raising the stakes on the Federal Government. Tell the Minister's Office that this State is making a promise, not issuing a threat."

I think that the States might be able to use the new situation to their own advantages - in a way which the Minister for Immi probably wouldn't expect them to do.

Cheers

Gill

Guest nevergiveup

Hi George, or Gill

sorry to sound stupid ,but you two seem to understand all the changesn in the migration /visa processes.

Can i ask you a question?

Which is the quickest and easiest way into Oz as a nurse? at this present time

I am 47 yrs old with five years experience ,my children:chatterbox: are no longer dependant upon me , I am awaiting.... or should we say trying to pass the Ielts

any information would be greatly valued,

thanks,

Jackie.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi George, or Gill

sorry to sound stupid ,but you two seem to understand all the changesn in the migration /visa processes.

Can i ask you a question?

Which is the quickest and easiest way into Oz as a nurse? at this present time

I am 47 yrs old with five years experience ,my children:chatterbox: are no longer dependant upon me , I am awaiting.... or should we say trying to pass the Ielts

any information would be greatly valued,

thanks,

Jackie.

Hi Jackie

Since you are 47, you are not eligible for a GSM visa in any case because the cut-off age for applying for those is the applicant's 45th birthday. Therefore this thread and the others like it have no effect on you, hun.

You will need to get an Aussie employer to sponsor you for migration. Nurses find this easier to organise than anyone else finds it. Many, many of the hospitals actively look for overseas nurses and they agree to sponsor them for visas because it is the fastest way to get the nurse into Australia and starting his/her new job in Oz without delay. Sometimes the nursing agencies offer the sponsorship, I think, but a lot of the time the hozzies offer direct sponsorship as well.

Jobs & Careers - PomsInOz Forum

I'm not a nurse and I know nothing about medicine and the medical profession. However Joanne and Ali. two of the other moderators, are both nurses in Oz. Ali is a Mental Health Nurse and she got into Oz via skilled independent migration. Joanne looks after the elderly - which I imagine makes her an ordinary Registered Nurse of some kind. Joanne was sponsored to go to Oz to do her present job and then the employer offered her employer-sponsored PR once they could see that she is very good at the job.

Nurses are the one group of whom I would say that they do not take any undue risks by accepting the temporary employer-sponsored 457 visa first. The employers don't want to lose overseas Nurses once they get them because there are nowhere near enough Aussie-trained nurses to go round.

I've heard that some hozzies in Oz give the nurses on 457 visas all the grotty shifts to do. This can cause huge problems with child-care, which is expensive to come by in Oz. However if the Nurse is willing to put up with the grotty shifts for a while, it does seem to lead to employer-sponsored PR in the end.

I am not sure whether you need to get a positive skills assessment from the ANMC if you are to be employer-sponsored. It was not necessary in the past, but I am not sure about now.

Cheers

Gill

Guest nevergiveup

Thanks for that Gill

I will contact these nurses

many thanks,

Jackie.:laugh:

Guest spurious

If I were in the State/Territory governments, I'd be seeing sum seriously deap shades of red at this poin/

Update Sunday evening. GSM suspension day 2.

WA has now blocked online applications but I would think you can still send them hard copy applications if you've previously completed the online form. To see the suspension see State Migration Centre and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

SA has also suspended offshore sponsorships with a prominently displayed warning at Make The Move :: Requirements for State sponsorship.

ACT - form is still loading.

Victoria - not loading as far as I can see.

The others are paper-based so business as usual I imagine.

I would expect all the states to consider freezing their programs in response to Friday's announcement. Best to get it in today if you can...

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George, Over the weekend we sent an email to SA asking to clarify if applications for SS that have already been submitted are also subject to this suspension, or just new applications.

This is the response:

In response to your e-mail enquiry, please regularly check the Immigration SA website over the next few weeks for important updates regarding Offshore applications.

Regards

Program Support Officer, General Skilled Migration

Far from helpful!!

Do you have any further information regarding this? Are current applications still being processed? We already have a 175 submitted and so although i can see the reasoning for states suspending processing due to the fact that inevitably it may be pointless as the relevant visa would be inaccessible, for people like us with a valid visa application this does not apply, and is even more important in that by the time the new sol comes they probably will not be able to continue our sponsorship application as hairdressing is not likely on the list.

Cheers

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I've had the same reply - I think there's going to be an update on their website this afternoon/this evening judging by other sources. And as I've mentioned in another thread, the next obvious time for DIAC to announce the new SOL will be tomorrow night in the Federal Budget, relevant details of which will be at Department of Immigration & Citizenship .

Cheers,

George Lombard

Update from South Australia follows. At this stage it appears they're only able to help people who have an existing GSM application:

UPDATE

On 7 May 2010 the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) made an announcement advising that DIAC will be suspending the acceptance of all Offshore Visa applications under the General Skilled Migration Program until further notice. The full announcement is available at What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

This announcement was made by DIAC and Immigration South Australia was not involved in this decision. If you have any questions about this announcement or the Visa application process, you must contact DIAC direct and not Immigration SA.

Sponsorship Applications

This announcement will impact on Sponsorship applications. As a result, Immigration SA will also be suspending processing Sponsorship applications for Offshore Visas until further notice.

Onshore Visas:

If you have applied for Sponsorship for an Onshore Visa, your application will proceed as normal. Note that the Sponsorship Application System will be closed for all applications on 14 May 2010.

Offshore Visas:

1. If you have already submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA AND sent all your supporting documents AND have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 - send an Email to Immigration SA at gsm.sa@sa.gov.au with a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number before 14 May 2010. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

2. If you have NOT submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA BUT have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 – 1) Submit the Online Sponsorship Application urgently. 2) Send the complete set of supporting documents before 14 May 2010. 3) Include in the supporting documents a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

3. If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but have completed an Online Sponsorship application and have sent the supporting documents, processing of your application will be suspended until further notice. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

4. If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but you have completed an Online Sponsorship application but have not sent the supporting documents, we suggest that you wait until DIAC reinstates the Visa application process and the publication of the revised Skilled Occupations List. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

5. If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but have received Sponsorship Approval from Immigration SA, we suggest that you wait until DIAC reinstates the Visa application process and the publication of the revised Skilled Occupations List. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

Note that Immigration SA does not advise or make a decision on the appropriate visa for which you might apply. Sponsorship decision will be made on the criteria for the visa for which you have applied.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi George

The new, softer approach from SA makes perfect sense.

I suspect that they were in a huge rush on Friday afternoon, having to make snap decisions and to get their website changed quickly.

Cheers

Gill

Guest aussiedreams

Hi George,

Thanks for ur useful post! In our case, we have a SA grant in hand, and we have lodged a 175 in March. However we have not yet accepted the grant, we were deliberating whether to convert our 175 to 176, when the suspensions were announced out of the blues.

With the update from SA govt, do you know if it would impact us? This info from SA does not talk about scenarios as we are in. Would we be able to convert from 175 to 176 if we so wish? We were given 60 days from 14-Apr to accept our sponsorship, does that timeline still hold good for us?

We do have 120 points/CSL, and would prefer to go for 175, but are worried, since 175 has a lower priority than sponsorships, so it might get stuck forever. Please advise if it would be ok for us to wait for 175, or should we opt for conversion? Please advice. Thank you very much for all your valuble inputs so far.

Guest Gollywobbler
Hi George,

Thanks for ur useful post! In our case, we have a SA grant in hand, and we have lodged a 175 in March. However we have not yet accepted the grant, we were deliberating whether to convert our 175 to 176, when the suspensions were announced out of the blues.

With the update from SA govt, do you know if it would impact us? This info from SA does not talk about scenarios as we are in. Would we be able to convert from 175 to 176 if we so wish? We were given 60 days from 14-Apr to accept our sponsorship, does that timeline still hold good for us?

We do have 120 points/CSL, and would prefer to go for 175, but are worried, since 175 has a lower priority than sponsorships, so it might get stuck forever. Please advise if it would be ok for us to wait for 175, or should we opt for conversion? Please advice. Thank you very much for all your valuble inputs so far.

Hi Aussiedreams

Is your occupation on the current CSL?

If not, you should accept the offer of SS and switch to a sc 176 application. Since your application for a sc 175 visa has already been made. DIAC will accept your decision to switch.There are no extra fees and no extra form-filling for making the switch. You simply need to accept the offer of SS and then e-mail the ASPC.

Cheers

Gill

Guest aussiedreams
Hi Aussiedreams

Is your occupation on the current CSL?

If not, you should accept the offer of SS and switch to a sc 176 application. Since your application for a sc 175 visa has already been made. DIAC will accept your decision to switch.There are no extra fees and no extra form-filling for making the switch. You simply need to accept the offer of SS and then e-mail the ASPC.

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

Yes, we are on current CSL (2231-79 - Java/J2EE). Thats why we are thinking if we should wait a few more weeks to accept SA grant. We still have a month left on our 60-day deadline to accept the grant. and its been almost 2 months since we filed 175. Not sure if we would hear anything on 175 in the next month, but we wanted to take as much time on our 60-day timeframe, before we make the decision. Could you pls suggest? Thanks a lot!

Update from South Australia follows. At this stage it appears they're only able to help people who have an existing GSM application:

UPDATE

On 7 May 2010 the Commonwealth Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) made an announcement advising that DIAC will be suspending the acceptance of all Offshore Visa applications under the General Skilled Migration Program until further notice. The full announcement is available at What's New? Recent Changes in General Skilled Migration

This announcement was made by DIAC and Immigration South Australia was not involved in this decision. If you have any questions about this announcement or the Visa application process, you must contact DIAC direct and not Immigration SA.

Sponsorship Applications

This announcement will impact on Sponsorship applications. As a result, Immigration SA will also be suspending processing Sponsorship applications for Offshore Visas until further notice.

Onshore Visas:

If you have applied for Sponsorship for an Onshore Visa, your application will proceed as normal. Note that the Sponsorship Application System will be closed for all applications on 14 May 2010.

Offshore Visas:

1.If you have already submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA AND sent all your supporting documents AND have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 - send an Email to Immigration SA at gsm.sa@sa.gov.au with a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number before 14 May 2010. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

2.If you have NOT submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA BUT have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 – 1) Submit the Online Sponsorship Application urgently. 2) Send the complete set of supporting documents before 14 May 2010. 3) Include in the supporting documents a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

3.If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but have completed an Online Sponsorship application and have sent the supporting documents, processing of your application will be suspended until further notice. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

4.If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but you have completed an Online Sponsorship application but have not sent the supporting documents, we suggest that you wait until DIAC reinstates the Visa application process and the publication of the revised Skilled Occupations List. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

5.If you have not lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 but have received Sponsorship Approval from Immigration SA, we suggest that you wait until DIAC reinstates the Visa application process and the publication of the revised Skilled Occupations List. Advice will be provided on the Immigration SA website in due course to inform you of the status of your application. Do not ring Immigration SA but monitor the website regularly at www.migration.sa.gov.au

Note that Immigration SA does not advise or make a decision on the appropriate visa for which you might apply. Sponsorship decision will be made on the criteria for the visa for which you have applied.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Hi George

Just noticed on the SA website that part of number 1 is missing? I was just wondering if it was worth making your information above into a new thread in case people miss it on the SA website?

Jules

1. If you have already submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA AND sent all your supporting documents AND have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 - send an Email to Immigration SA at

2. If you have NOT submitted your Sponsorship Application with Immigration SA BUT have already lodged your Visa application with DIAC for an Offshore Visa before 8 May 2010 – 1) Submit the Online Sponsorship Application urgently. 2) Send the complete set of supporting documents before 14 May 2010. 3) Include in the supporting documents a copy of the Visa Application lodgement Acknowledgement OR a copy of the Notification email from DIAC AND your Immigration SA Reference Number. Your Sponsorship application will then be processed accordingly. If you do not include the Immigration SA Reference number, your Sponsorship application will not be identified and the application will not proceed.

The Tasmanian government is suspending "the assessment of" all 475 and 176 sponsorships until 3 July:

The Tasmanian Government will be suspending the assessment of applications for offshore Skilled Sponsored (SS) subclass 176 visas and Skilled Regional Sponsored (SRS) subclass 475 visas between Monday 10 May 2010 and Friday 3 July 2010. The suspension will take place whilst the Tasmanian Government reviews current sponsorship policies. During this period the assessment of all other sponsorship applications will remain unchanged.

Migrating to Tasmania : Tasmania - The life you've been looking for

Cheers,

George Lombard

And this reply just in from Victoria:

The Skilled and Business Migration Program are in the process of understanding how this suspension by DIAC affects those people looking to apply for State Sponsorship. We should have an answer by the end of the day and the information will be posted on our website - www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au.

Cheers,

George Lombard

Archived