Visa restrictions - marriage - de facto

Guest T&R

We are applying for a 176 as De facto partners.

I have seen several people mention that a restriction placed on their visas was that they could not get married before they entered Australia. I would just like to check if anyone knows if this is the case for De facto partners and to what stages the restrictions might apply.

Could we get married prior to the visa being granted if we provide details of change of circumstance? Alternatively would it be OK if we were to marry after the visas had been validated if we wanted..?

I think (although someone may correct me) that this condition is sometimes applied when people apply as a single applicant not when they name their defacto in the visa application so they are also applying for a visa.

Hi i must admit i have not heard of this but can understand what Shell has said.

We applied as de-facto and got married just a few weeks before leaving the Uk, everything including passport,visa etc was in my maiden so i just carried my marriage certificate everywhere with me until we had established ourselves here. Basically my life pre Oz is in my maiden name and everything done since arrival is in my married name,lol.

Cal x

Guest snow white

hi i havent heard of this we applied for visas together and we were not married then we married the day before we flew it was too late to change passports etc as we had booked flights in maiden name so everything in uk was in my maiden name and then when we got to oz showed our marriage certificate same as cal then applied for everything in my married name drivers license etc never had any problems what so ever,

all the best lesley x

Guest Catriley

Hi,

We were wondering about this issue too. I was planning on phoning the department of immigration in the morning to see if they can clear it up so i'll let you know if i find anything out.

Thanks everyone

From the replies it looks as if it should be OK and it makes sense that you could be able to get married to the de facto partner and that the restriction is related to single applicants.

However, the official answer will be very useful - I will be interested to hear what they say - thanks.

Guest snow white

your welcome i will be interested to see what the official answer is also be good for future reference for others in similar situation

all the best lesley x

Me too, seems like an odd restriction but I have only seen it mentioned on forums by people from HR countries and I've only seen it posted a couple of times but then not everyone would post about it would they.

Guest Catriley

Hello!

I spoke to Australian immigration this morning and was told that as long as you apply as defacto partners then it will not cause a problem if you get married before entry to Australia. I asked if we were to apply for our visa and then get married six months later would it be an issue and I was assured that it would not because we will already have had to prove that we are defacto partners. I also spoke to Go Matilda today who also said that this is correct and that it will not cause a problem with the application.

Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for the update. Great news - it makes sense but is good to be sure. Fingers crossed and we get the go-ahead with a visa we don't want to start by breaking any rules.

Archived