Flights Booked - Now to make the most of it...

BecWortho

Today we booked our flights with Singapore Air (eeeeek, I'm coming home Australia!!) now i'm after some advice from those of you who have travelled with them before.

Firstly, the OH wants to know if it's a free bar?? :rolleyes:

Secondly, I have seen in other thread that you can choose seats, I booked through the flight centre and I wasn't given this option, do I now have to wait until check in and take what I can get?? Or can I log in somehow??

Also, We have a 12ish hour stop over in Changi Airport, is it worth doing the free 2 hour tour?? I know that its the best airport to have a stop over in and there is a bunch to do there.

What sort of currency should we take with us?? Will they accept GBP and AUD??

Hi Bec, now its my turn to return the favour. I have flown with Singapore Airlines a few times now on my visits out to Australia and i must say they are very good. It is a free bar, you just ask for a drink and one appears for you, the service is very good as well as the entertainment on the flight as well. With regards to the seating option, you can choose your seats, i believe you just log on via the Singapore airlines website, enter your flight details etc and go from there.

Re the tour, i have no idea as i have never had such a long stay over, but the airport is fantastic and there is plenty to do. Also, re currency, it doesn't matter either way. They have barcode scanners that you scan your product and it gives you the price in GBP and AUD as well as other currencies, but, you change is given to you in Singapore Dollars, so try and have as much change as possible so you don't end up with a pocket full of Singapore Dollars.

When do you fly?

Edited by Matt19811981

Hmmm, I have managed to log in however I am getting the below error message when trying to select seats, maybe its too soon after booking??

We regret that seat selection is not allowed as your booking contains waitlisted or unticketed segments

If you have just made the booking that day it may not be ticketed yet. There are 2 steps, a reservation is created, then it is ticketed. The ticketing process could potentially take a couple of days. Singapore Airlines does not let you manage your booking until it is ticketed. The fact that it is not yet ticketed is nothing to worry about and that message will probably be gone when you try again tomorrow.

When booking through a travel agent you cannot usually book seats at time of purchase as the tickets have still to be issued by the airline this can be 24-48hrs later. , and then it is usually the agent which has to reserve the seats, so get on to your agent now. If you have a look on 'seat guru' you get a good idea of the seating layout and hopefully it can help you to at least avoid reserving the bad seats. Booking direct with the airline you can choose your seat at time of booking, remember the actual seat reservation is not guaranteed but most times there is no problem.

For your 12 hour stopover I would be tempted with the free tour combined with looking/exploring the whole of Changi airport, as there are gardens in nearly all terminals, you can also use the hotel swimming pool. Otherwise as others have said then book a day room at the hotel, remember to book a wake-up call too.

Happy flights

Keith

If you have a 12 hour stop at Changi, forget the tour and book into the transit hotel. Trust me, you'll be knackered by the time you get to Singapore and a sleep and a shower will feel like absolute heaven, even if the hotel is a bit daggy. If you're determined to explore, you can book the hotel for a block of 6 hours instead of 12, then you'll still have time to explore the airport (or go on that tour if you really want to).

http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit/transit-hotel

Personally I'd book the 12 and make the most of the sleep. That will mean you arrive in Australia fresh and ready to go, instead of dead on your feet. You'll have plenty of opportunities for holidays in Singapore once you're living in Oz.

There is another, much nicer airport hotel if you go through immigration, but I don't know if they do short-term bookings (i.e. less than an overnight).

Edited by Marisawright

Today we booked our flights with Singapore Air (eeeeek, I'm coming home Australia!!) now i'm after some advice from those of you who have travelled with them before.

Firstly, the OH wants to know if it's a free bar?? :rolleyes:

Secondly, I have seen in other thread that you can choose seats, I booked through the flight centre and I wasn't given this option, do I now have to wait until check in and take what I can get?? Or can I log in somehow??

Also, We have a 12ish hour stop over in Changi Airport, is it worth doing the free 2 hour tour?? I know that its the best airport to have a stop over in and there is a bunch to do there.

What sort of currency should we take with us?? Will they accept GBP and AUD??

Yes, they give out drinks on a long haul flight. Not that they are big by any means, very small cups. TBH depending on what time you fly you maybe won't really be wanting a drink of alcohol at all. We take the night flight and after the meal settle down to snooze. Booze is never a good idea then for me lol.

You can go to the Singapore Airlines website and log in with your booking/ref/flight number or some such and choose your seats. It may be the good ones have all gone already so slim pickings. We got a row together on both legs with ease but did this an hour after booking through our travel agent.

Depends what time you land in Singapore IMHO. If you land in the morning and feel fresh, go do it. If its 10pm at night and you are knackered, I'd go for a sleep in the hotel for 6 hours. Make use of the pool in T1 on the hotel roof also, closes at 11pm and opens at 7am or so iirc. Pack bathers, they throw in a towel for the $14. You can shower also.

I usually pay with whatever cash I have one me to use up. Whatever you use you get changes in Singapore dollars. I prefer to change up some £ before leaving and carry Singapore $$ with me at the airport. I think last time for the three of us we had $50 and the pool was $14, a meal for son and a few drinks, had change left over for our next stop over there.

Thanks everyone, I emailed Sigapore Air and I they took my seating requests via email, I then received an itinerary from them yesterday showing my seats as I requested (two seats one being an aisle in the first leg, and two seats one being a window, top deck, for the second leg!)

They are both night flights, the first leg departing 13:05 however I do struggle sleeping on planes, that's where the red wine comes in (and the aisle seats!)

Singapore Air also suggested that should the OH want migrant baggage allowance we should go to the airport between now and our depart date with the Visa (when that finally comes through, 8months 15days today!) to have this approved. We don't live in London, this seems like a bit of a mission.

My question now is does anyone know of a Partner Visa holder (permanent) being declined the baggage allowance at the airport on the day of flight?